Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: set screw help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Default set screw help

I'm still new to this but I am having the hardest time removing a set screw from my motor pinion. Is there some sort of trick or special tool that I'm supposed to use because either I'm stripping the screw or my tool. I'm using craftsman .050" allen wrench and drivers and I've even tried the T heads. I thought maybe they're reverse threaded since it's on a rotating part so I tried with the other motor but it's the same result. Any help with what I've should of done and I guess what to do now that I sort of screwed myself. Thanks.
Coffinspire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depending on the pinion some use the small US allen wrench, others need a small metric driver.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If they are loctited it can be a pain. I've had to grind a slot in them and remove it with a flathead. You can try heating it up or super gluing the allen wrench into the setscrew. I've learned to buy longer setscrews so I can use some needlenose vicegrips if I have to.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if its really bound up in the pinion youll need to find a hex that will really fit in snug with NO play, make sure its going into the set screw as far as it can, if you cant find a hex driver that fits snug I have used bits of tinfoil or foil tape wrapped around the hex driver tip to "size" the driver, then insert the driver and slowly but firmly back the set screw out. If it still wont budge leave the hex driver in the screw and lay it out on a bench so you can lay a soldering iron on the hex driver shaft to heat the set screw up some, you could use a torch to do the same thing but I wouldent want to get my motor that hot, by using a soldering iron on the hex driver shaft it keeps the heat away from the internals of the motor just make sure you get the soldering iron as close to the set screw as you can and leave it sitting there for a few minuets then try backing the screw out. If this still dosent do the trick youll probly have to cut a notch in the set screw to try and get it out with a flat blade screwdriver. hope this helps you out!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

I solved my set screw problem and it was simply the tool. I took into the hobby shop and they removed it no problem. It was just that my .050 hex head driver were not hardened and therefore rounding. A quick solution, purchase hardened hex head driver. Those set screws came out no problem.
Coffinspire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
if its really bound up in the pinion youll need to find a hex that will really fit in snug with NO play, make sure its going into the set screw as far as it can, if you cant find a hex driver that fits snug I have used bits of tinfoil or foil tape wrapped around the hex driver tip to "size" the driver, then insert the driver and slowly but firmly back the set screw out. If it still wont budge leave the hex driver in the screw and lay it out on a bench so you can lay a soldering iron on the hex driver shaft to heat the set screw up some, you could use a torch to do the same thing but I wouldent want to get my motor that hot, by using a soldering iron on the hex driver shaft it keeps the heat away from the internals of the motor just make sure you get the soldering iron as close to the set screw as you can and leave it sitting there for a few minuets then try backing the screw out. If this still dosent do the trick youll probly have to cut a notch in the set screw to try and get it out with a flat blade screwdriver. hope this helps you out!

I never thought of that but thats a great way to heat up loctite!!!
NVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

x2 what a great tip
dmgriff266 is offline   Reply With Quote