Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Plasti Dip Help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Plasti Dip Help.

I just used plasti dip for the first time today and i think that i done it right but idk. I was using it on an esc and i didnt remove the heatsink . I diped it once let it set about 25 min out side on the porch it was like 95 today. I went and diped it again this time letting it set around 35 min again outside. Everything was looking good , it was starting to pull its shape back and i noticed a lil bit on the side where i must have nicked it so i diped it again. Now thats 3 times i just went out and got it sat down and started forming it with my fingers. Now my question is i noticed while i was doing this that it either had air traped inside or it was still wet underneath . While i finished workin it in it kinda busted and ozed outa lil . Is this bad or normal? How long should it take to finish curing at room temp with 3 coats? Any info would be great .
Butcherinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure how thick each coat went on but I'd wait till the whole thing is very hard
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think dipping with the heat sink on, you just rendered it useless. The aluminum is now insulated and can't dissipate heat. As far as curing, I would let it dry a few hours before the next coat. I hope it all works out well for you.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

yeah i agree each coat should set for at least 3 to 4 hrs to be fully cured..and just like said above now you need to get it off the heatsink or you wont have to worry about the waterproof cause you'll burn it up..take a razor or exacto knife and clean the heat sink off ..but i'll tell ya the plasti-dip isnt 100% waterproof..its dont bond to the esc completely in all spots guys have found out the hard way
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Having the heatsink still on there would be very hard. You won't know if it was totally dried up or not. A friend of mine did that and not seeing it there were some tiny holes that water seeped in. Also it takes about 3-4 hours for each coat to dry. Take the heat sink out and when you dip the esc in be sure that you are doing the dipping at a slow pace to allow the plastidip to seep in to every nook and cranny. Good luck
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

When I did this I just bought "Liquid Tape" its the same thing as the plasti dip but it has a brush in the cap and you can control how and where you put it on as well as the thickness. Or you could just get a paint brush (a small one, like a hobby brush) and use the stuff you have and make sure that its sealed. See if you can peel off the other stuff you just did and take the esc apart and just coat the circuit board and around where the wires go into it at. Then put it back together. Good Luck
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys . i left the heatsink on because there would be no way to put it back on after its cured . i got up this morning b4 work and checked it out . I do beleave that i am gonna take it off and start over . i diped it to fast and didnt give long enuff time between coats. Thanks again . O iam gonna coat it and after it cures i still plan to put atleast one baloon over it. If it frys its time for a br-xl um humm
Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

When I did my Sidewinder I taped off the heatsink and used the Plasti dip that comes in a spray can. It worked great, and I was able to put the esc back in the case afterwards.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just used the dip and diped the case into less the heatsink this time. It wasnt that hard to get off at all . Got the first coat back on and lettin it set up real good this time . I did it much slower as well. thanks for all the helpful info guys. I think that i will look into the spray and the brush on as well for future projects.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlerG View Post
When I did this I just bought "Liquid Tape" its the same thing as the plasti dip but it has a brush in the cap and you can control how and where you put it on as well as the thickness. Or you could just get a paint brush (a small one, like a hobby brush) and use the stuff you have and make sure that its sealed. See if you can peel off the other stuff you just did and take the esc apart and just coat the circuit board and around where the wires go into it at. Then put it back together. Good Luck
I used liquid tape, as well. I opened up my Mamba Max Pro, "painted" the board and everything else besides the heatsink. With multiple thin coats I was able to get it back into it's case so it doesn't look waterproof....but it is.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I like the idea of putting liquid tape on the circuit board. That way it seals everything up.you really get some looks when you crawl out of the water and people see no waterproofing on the esc...... lol
jessejoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Make sure the heat sink is not cover and after you get a good coat on let it set for about 30 min it will be pliable not tacky and you can press it and force all the air bubbles out and mold it real well. Then 3-4 hrs of cure time and its complete...Just did this to my servos.
Fletch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default plastispray rocks

i did a servo still working gr8 and all in the water. a turnigy hv767. and ive done all my rx and . i've also sprayed around where dirt could get in around my diffs ( as on the stampede 4x4 the diffs are not sealed completely and so ii did some preventative lock and spray i call it.
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

How are u guys doing the servo? Are u coating the outside or are u taking them apart and using the liquid elec tape on the boards
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebomb View Post
How are u guys doing the servo? Are u coating the outside or are u taking them apart and using the liquid elec tape on the boards
i used liquid tape and just coated the outside.
Unfadingpyro is offline   Reply With Quote