Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Delrin link forming question for a supercrawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Delrin link forming question for a supercrawler

So I'm making some delrin links for my supercrawler. Due to the PO doing all custom work, I have to follow some fairly insane angles. What is the best way to accomplish this? I recall reading from a previous delrin link thread that a jig would work, so my question is this:

If I build a jig to form the links with, will the delrin bounce back at all if I let it remain in the jig for awhile? If so, how much further than the angles I need should I make the jig?

As you can see from the attached image, if using 3/8" delrin rod, I'm going to need to pretty much make 2 90 degree bends in order to line up the shock mount up top, and another to meet the angle of the threaded point (which will be drilled, tapped, and using threaded studs). Is this even possible?

Sorry for the crappy pic, iphone with little lighting.

Last edited by AgentXTC; 08-03-2011 at 10:34 PM.
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikun View Post
So I'm making some delrin links for my supercrawler. Due to the PO doing all custom work, I have to follow some fairly insane angles. What is the best way to accomplish this? I recall reading from a previous delrin link thread that a jig would work, so my question is this:

If I build a jig to form the links with, will the delrin bounce back at all if I let it remain in the jig for awhile? If so, how much further than the angles I need should I make the jig?

As you can see from the attached image, if using 3/8" delrin rod, I'm going to need to pretty much make 2 90 degree bends in order to line up the shock mount up top, and another to meet the angle of the threaded point (which will be drilled, tapped, and using threaded studs). Is this even possible?

Sorry for the crappy pic, iphone with little lighting.

Wouldnt it be easier to just cut the links out of 3/8"-1/2" Delrin plate?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have no idea how to do that... I havent seen any write-ups on it. I suppose I could mark it out and use a hacksaw to get the basic shape and sand it to get the final? Then I would have to file the ends in order to tap threads, I think?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I used to make all of my links with 4mm threaded steel thru the entire length of the link. This was done thru 1/4" Delrin Tube....that was drilled out to 5/32". This was pretty strong, and allowed bending and not worrying about any material memory.

A few months ago I started playing with a 3/16" channel thru the 1/4" delrin...and then using 8-32 threaded rod. (for a little more strength) This was an improvement.

Just yesterday I tried something new for a new customer. I left the delrin drilled at 5/32"....but then chucked up some 8-32 threaded rod and ran that all the way thru the Delrin. This is the best combo of Delrin, Drill Size, and Steel diameter that I have used as of yet. It is VERY strong.

I use a custom Jig that lets me get consistant bends...but with the "new" technique, it is quite a bit more difficult to physically bend the material. I am using these style links on the rear of my own Bully Bjv3....with a "high clearance" mid-bend...and they are TOUGH and accept that severe bend quite well. I am betting that a similar build technique for your SUPER links would work well. 3/8" Delrin without the steel reinforcement will still bend/deflect some.

I hope that this provides something of use to you.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Xirtic. I'm going to play with making a jig tonight and see what I can come up with. Failing that, I'll see what I can find for either sheet delrin or tube.