Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Questions about laying carbon fiber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Questions about laying carbon fiber

I wish to mix my own resin and make some carbon fiber sheet. I know you can use a polyester or epoxy with carbon fiber. It seems to me that the epoxy would make for a stronger finished product.

Which resin is used to make the sheets you buy? How do they get the perfect finish? Is it vaccum-bagged, pressed between 2 flat surfaces or just sanded and polished?

One last question;

How many layers of cloth should be used for chassis plates?

Thanks for any info...
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Hmmmm.....what are you making
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Suck it up!

I knew a guy that made his own cf panels for his rally car. Pretty much all he did was lay the pattern on the table, cover the table with plastic wrap, then do a couple layers of resin and cf. Seems to me cf requires its own resin...could be wrong though.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #4

I use 6 oz carbon cloth with a slow setting epoxy resin. Called "Surf Board" resin for the clear look without the yellow tint.
I make the driver's floor pans for the race car's I crew for, as well as some trim pieces. I make a mould/form then vacuum bag it. When making flat pieces I just sandwich it between two flat heavy objects. Thickness depends on the weight of the cloth and the viscosity of the resin. The thinner the resin the better it will saturate the fibers.
Abe KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm almost positive u would want to use an epoxy resin. vacuum forming would give u a much nicer finish than hand lay up, helps get an even thickness and also helps remove air from the resin. I used to work for a composite spray and injection equipment company called magnum Venus plastech so I know some

If u have not already bought material I would call composites one, they are one of the largest material suppliers and they would be able to set u up with the best material for what u are trying to accomplish.

If u do hand lay up u might consider buying some acetone, its a great solvent to have when working with resin cause ur bound to make a mess lol.

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 08-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Hmmmm.....what are you making
Shhhh, its a secret

Depends on how well it comes out, should be interesting tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I knew a guy that made his own cf panels for his rally car. Pretty much all he did was lay the pattern on the table, cover the table with plastic wrap, then do a couple layers of resin and cf. Seems to me cf requires its own resin...could be wrong though.
I thought that too, but there is a fiberglass distributor near me, said the cf would work with a polyester or epoxy. I know that epoxy is stronger, so thats what I plan on using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe KT View Post
I use 6 oz carbon cloth with a slow setting epoxy resin. Called "Surf Board" resin for the clear look without the yellow tint.
I make the driver's floor pans for the race car's I crew for, as well as some trim pieces. I make a mould/form then vacuum bag it. When making flat pieces I just sandwich it between two flat heavy objects. Thickness depends on the weight of the cloth and the viscosity of the resin. The thinner the resin the better it will saturate the fibers.
I use polyester surfboard resin in my other hobby making surfboards. Never realized they had it for epoxy too. With epoxy does it need a "hot coat" then polish? When glassing a board I use a wax solution in a final "hotcoat" (I think to seal for curing) then sand and polish. I'm not terribly experienced, but somewhat capable

This was my 7th board, I'm now on my 10th. I have been doing about 2-3 a year, cept last year, I went from casual user to totally addicted to crawling. But I do have 1 cut and 1 uncut foam blank in my garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
I'm almost positive u would want to use an epoxy resin. vacuum forming would give u a much nicer finish than hand lay up, helps get an even thickness and also helps remove air from the resin. I used to work for a composite spray and injection equipment company called magnum Venus plastech so I know some

If u have not already bought material I would call composites one, they are one of the largest material suppliers and they would be able to set u up with the best material for what u are trying to accomplish.

If u do hand lay up u might consider buying some acetone, its a great solvent to have when working with resin cause ur bound to make a mess lol.
For some reason I thought so too, about using epoxy, but I don't have a great explanation as to why. I know with surfboards its stronger, maybe thats it? I'm very backyard, I know of vaccum forming, but not the technique. Know of Glue Products? There local to me and their prices seem competitive.

And yeah, I got a can of acetone, cuz I make a mess

Last edited by Tydl; 08-07-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe KT View Post
When making flat pieces I just sandwich it between two flat heavy objects. Thickness depends on the weight of the cloth and the viscosity of the resin. The thinner the resin the better it will saturate the fibers.
I like this idea and think I'm capable

I won't be getting started until after nationals, got alot to do before I leave.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

To get a crystal clear finish they press it between 2 pieces of glass when they do the vacuum.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post

I use polyester surfboard resin in my other hobby making surfboards. Never realized they had it for epoxy too. With epoxy does it need a "hot coat" then polish? When glassing a board I use a wax solution in a final "hotcoat" (I think to seal for curing) then sand and polish. I'm not terribly experienced, but somewhat capable

This was my 7th board, I'm now on my 10th. I have been doing about 2-3 a year, cept last year, I went from casual user to totally addicted to crawling. But I do have 1 cut and 1 uncut foam blank in my garage

For some reason I thought so too, about using epoxy, but I don't have a great explanation as to why. I know with surfboards its stronger, maybe thats it? I'm very backyard, I know of vaccum forming, but not the technique. Know of Glue Products? There local to me and their prices seem competitive.

And yeah, I got a can of acetone, cuz I make a mess
The epoxy resin makes it stronger but also gives it some flexibility. When u say hot coat, are u referring to gel coat? Gelcoats need a pv wax to completely cure unless it has been sprayed into a mould then gone over with resin. If you do vacuum forming. To make ur part u should not have to do any polishing or anything if done right.

Never heard of glue products, where they located? There are several forms of vacuum forming, go to YouTube and type in LRTM, flex moulding or vacuum infusion and you can get an idea of how its done.

Sweet board man, do u make them to sell or for ur own use?

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 08-07-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
To get a crystal clear finish they press it between 2 pieces of glass when they do the vacuum.
Now I gotta find 2 sheets of glass makes perfect sense tho, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
The epoxy resin makes it stronger but also gives it some flexibility. When u say hot coat, are u referring to gel coat? Gelcoats need a pv wax to completely cure unless it has been sprayed into a mould then gone over with resin. If you do vacuum forming. To make ur part u should not have to do any polishing or anything if done right.

Never heard of glue products, where they located? There are several forms of vacuum forming, go to YouTube and type in LRTM, flex moulding or vacuum infusion and you can get an idea of how its done.

Sweet board man, do u make them to sell or for ur own use?
I had forgotten that epoxy was more flexible. Would lead to better impact absorbtion right? I think it is the gel coat I'm referring to, I don't tend to keep the chemicals at my house. lol I will look into vacuum forming.

The boards and surfing them are a passion just like crawling and making my own parts. I have sold 3 boards, 1 destroyed(surfing), 2 just art pieces. I have surfed every board I've made and they've each been what I pictured and expected except the 2 art pieces, they were bad dreams For me its very much art, I'll never make a blank white surfboard. Pointless to me. But an orange tinted polyester over carbon fiber might be my next board. Ideas, ideas....

Last edited by Tydl; 08-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

http://www.dragonplate.com/
easier and cheaper to buy. check these guys out theres some stuff at good prices and if you absolutely want to diy theres a wealth of good information... they also do cnc customer designed peices....
SouthCaliRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCaliRep View Post
http://www.dragonplate.com/
easier and cheaper to buy. check these guys out theres some stuff at good prices and if you absolutely want to diy theres a wealth of good information... they also do cnc customer designed peices....
thanks for the link, I went thru the site, but I don't think they carry quite what I'm looking at. I'm looking at custom weave cf cloth, some with colored kevlar woven in. Stuff that would be expensive anywhere. I'm a diy guy, I like to experiment. I'm asking questions so that I can make it. And I suspect I know a guy or two that can cut what ever I want.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
thanks for the link, I went thru the site, but I don't think they carry quite what I'm looking at. I'm looking at custom weave cf cloth, some with colored kevlar woven in. Stuff that would be expensive anywhere. I'm a diy guy, I like to experiment. I'm asking questions so that I can make it. And I suspect I know a guy or two that can cut what ever I want.
In general, CF alone is strength, the Kevlar allows a lot of bending but still keep the item in 1 piece. This is what they do in aircraft (I fly high performance sailplanes, some is CF, other parts like the tailboom is CF & Kevlar.)
In our applications, I think you are waaaaay overthinking this.
Your budget, your choice.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

If your lookin for just the CF look, a much cheaper alternative is a woven fiberglass mat with a pigmented resin, if done right you would never even know the difference
Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

one word - prepreg.
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote