Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Holmes Taig mini lathe build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Armature holding would be a handy task, yes. Watcha got?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

http://www.microkinetics.com/cnctools.htm

I found that little armature holder. Ends up being too small for my lathe, but I just gotta buy a different tail stock holder....then just a 1/8th collet on the top......big jim used to have them made out of brass, but the guy who made them flaked and never made me one. I was looking around for something the other day and found that, so I ordered one. It's pretty simple, but looks like it will be effective once I get it setup.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #23

Thats a slick little part! Unfortunately it is mt2 taper which I can't use without making or modding a new tailstock, back to square one of making tooling to work with tooling. It would be easy enough to machine a bearing pocket to do the same task though, just like Cave Dave suggested. If you already have a little lathe you could certainly make one pretty quick out of any dead center that fits your lathe.

For odd armatures I will probably make a little part like that, thanks for the link! And thanks to Cave Dave for thinking about bearings on the part instead of on the tooling!

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 08-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I thought at worst for $30 I could see how it was made.....its pretty nifty and fits an arm perfectly....

I don't understand all the mt2 stuff and crap, drives me nuts with all those terms. I spent half a day looking for a collett set for my lathe. I knew where I could buy the overpriced official one, but no luck finding a cheaper or bigger set.....when it was all done, turns out the company made up its own sizing term for them.......and was identical to one I saw all over....idiots.

A brass collett is still what I want, but no luck finding anyone to make one for a reasonable cost...

I almost have this lathe setup to grind arms down the way I want....close...

Later EddieO
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #25

are you using a sherline base for yours? If you are grinding make SURE you cover everything, paper is cheap and works well. The dust will ruin a lathe in a matter of hours.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Emco Compact 5....Big Jim was a big Unimat 3 guy, but I could not find one in decent shape and the Emco was the newer version....so thats what I bought.

I picked up another one used a while back for dirt cheap.

I wish I would of bought the whole sherline setup.......but was lazy and never did.

Later EddieO
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #27

Sherlines are overpriced anyway, you didn't lose out. The emco unit will do what you need.

The unit I am working on right now is a Taig. I will be setting up an armature grinding assembly for it, and the live tailstock (made from a headstock) assembly I am working on will certainly be needed to do that. One step at a time.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Overpriced yes, but lots of cool stuff......I wanted it and the mill, but for whatever reason never found time to order it.

I've have not rushed resetting up my grinding stuff. I started a new one cause I hated how unuser friendly the old setup was. In racing we didn't grind down a lot of arms anyways, though I think if mod motors would of gotten some time on lipos we would of.

I've used it a couple times in crawling.........it provides interesting results, but a lot of work that 99% of the customers are not willing to pay for.

Later EddieO
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Do you guys care to share what "grinding" and arm means?
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

It's the process of turning down the outer diameter of the armature. Basically making it smaller. This will increase the airgap between the arm and the magnets. It can have tons of effects, some good some bad.....just depends on the application.

I've used it limited in crawling, because the number 1 bad thing is the effect on drag brake. So far the only crawler motors I've done it to was the last Limited Edition, but I took off a VERY small amount, as I was just trying to get them perfect (the green hysol crap can vary in thickness) so the airgap was perfect. Then I polished them and dyed them.

In racing, we used it a lot, mainly in onroad......it's used a ton in slot car motors.

Later EddieO
Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #31

Grinding is a process that uses an abrasive wheel to take off material. An "arm" is an armature for a brushed motor. Grinding an arm is what Eddie just said. The only reason I would do it is for efficiency. Every other effect isn't really worth it for what we need.

I have some custom arms here where the laminations aren't so perfect. I will be grinding them.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #32

Here is what my little motor lathe looks like now. Don't mind the 30hp drive motor, that is a temporary setup I have the controller hard limited to 1000w right now anyway.

I have it set up to cut commutators of weird sizes right now, stuff that won't fit on a typical motor lathe and is too small for my 12x24 engine lathe. It is pretty fast swapping out armatures considering how rigid everything is held. I will be making some custom fasteners to speed up the changes, and I will be making some parts to hold 540 armatures in case my other lathes are being used by a worker.

Worked out just as planned! Now time to start making my own tooling to reduce setup and teardown time. The real plan for this setup is some other motor building parts.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 08-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Grinding is a process that uses an abrasive wheel to take off material. An "arm" is an armature for a brushed motor. Grinding an arm is what Eddie just said. The only reason I would do it is for efficiency. Every other effect isn't really worth it for what we need.

I have some custom arms here where the laminations aren't so perfect. I will be grinding them.
Wow, thanks for explaining what "grinding" and an "arm" are. Way to make your customer feel dumb. I can understand the basic English part, I just was wondering what you guys were grinding as far as what part and how and what it does for motor building

Last edited by highlandcrawler; 08-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #34

I can't guess what level of jargon people know! You asked what grinding and arm meant, I answered to the best of my ability.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes you just cant win
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #36

I always win when making my own tools! I really like grinding and tempering bits for some reason.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I always win when making my own tools! I really like grinding and tempering bits for some reason.
A true glutton for punishment........sounds like you should have a business making RC parts for sale.....ummm....nevermind......:lmao :
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Any updates on this project ?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #39

Nothing lately. I've been too slammed getting people ready for nationals and organizing a local moped rally. I'll get back on it in about 3 or 4 weeks after nationals, my wedding, and moving my business to a larger location.