Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: rob_b's Little Lathe Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
The title of this thread makes it sound like a fairy tale.
Especially if you say your name as it looks..............Robbie
Wait... Its not?

Last edited by TANK; 08-15-2011 at 02:44 PM.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Oliver Custom Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Are you the hookah smoking caterpillar?
WTF , my tattoo guy has a painting of that on his wall....you 420/EX-420 guys know all about that stuff I guess.

Quote:
The title of this thread makes it sound like a fairy tale.

Especially if you say your name as it looks..............Robbie
It should say " Rob_b's Adventures in rebuilding a Lathe " he aint machined anything YET.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #23
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Dwane, losikid is correct, it's a standard test indicator .030" travel with .0005" divisions. The really preceice ones have .008" travel with .0001" divisions. I ended up buying three cheaper indicator's because the best ones would have exceeded the cost of the lathe itself. As it stands I have roughly the same value wrapped up in tooling just to get started.
It seems crazy to me, but a guy can easily spend more on tooling and equipment than a machine itself. It's well worth it in the end, the good stuff does repeat better and last longer. I've got 2 of these Mitutoyo dial test indicators and 1 of these Fowler electronic test indicators and use all 3 on a regular basis. I probably have more money tied up in end mills, drills and boring bars than anything else.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

John, I looked at your QCTP link again. So you are running the axa size? I got the smaller oxa one and after seeing how small the compound slide is I'm glad I did. The axa would be massive on there.

Yep, as much as I would have liked to buy indicators that nice I couldn't justify them with the initial purchase. That is why I started with a lathe though, outfitting it with tooling is much cheaper than doing the same with a mill.

Thanks for for the thread title upgrade Steve
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are you the hookah smoking caterpillar?
Kinda seems like I fit the bill huh?
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Got some more garage time today. Got the first strip set to .0015" clearance on each side, decided that was close enough and then moved to the next one. On the first adjustment of the second strip the bastard snapped in half on me. I wasn't surprised, when I was researching this lathe it was noted that this would happen eventually as they are made from some real shit quality metal. It's suggested to make their replacements from brass so I guess that's the next step.

Also, going to have MTHead to make a cover plate for these gears, just need to draw it up.

Got another indicator today on UPS today. SPI 1" travel - .001" graduations. Not a bad little unit, comes with a test report and a year warranty. Mounted it on a Mighty Mag base that will take the end of your finger off if you aren't careful

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Thanks for for the thread title upgrade Steve
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Quote:

Got another indicator today on UPS today. SPI 1" travel - .001" graduations. Not a bad little unit, comes with a test report and a year warranty. Mounted it on a Mighty Mag base that will take the end of your finger off if you aren't careful

Running a lathe with no DRO, a mag base and indicator like that is probably the one I use most personally.

Since your getting so good at this, when I get my lathe delivered to the house, you can come set mine up.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Sure, I'm good at breaking other peoples stuff too
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sure, I'm good at breaking other peoples stuff too
I can vouch for that!

The new title is too bland, yesterday's was better.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can vouch for that!
Exactly how long can I expect you to hold that over my head? My advice, build a better truck

Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

As I remember, you built it with me, although, I did have to install the servo for you.......BUAHHHAHHHAAAHHHAAAHHHAAA

I like the new title.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Don't get me started on that servo mount... and after the OG I don't think that I be held responsible to what may or may not have happened
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Much better...

So I haven't worked much in Brass before but what a wonderfully easy material to machine. As easy as Delrin but with actual chips rather than strings. Might be making some skids from the stuff soon
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Perfect fit! Thanks MThead you do great work

Now I can start putting it all back together. Wish I had the day off, I'm ready to made some parts
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Wink

Oh good not the only idiot futzing around with their lathe

I have the harbor freight version picked up for cheap at a parking lot sale. What lapping compound did you use. I found some valve grinding compound and tried that. Works good but a little abrasive past the roughing in stage

As for brass, there's a reason for tool companies flying through it in demo videos. 360 has a crazy high machinability number. Fun stuff! As for costs!
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Oh good not the only idiot futzing around with their lathe

I have the harbor freight version picked up for cheap at a parking lot sale. What lapping compound did you use. I found some valve grinding compound and tried that. Works good but a little abrasive past the roughing in stage

As for brass, there's a reason for tool companies flying through it in demo videos. 360 has a crazy high machinability number. Fun stuff! As for costs!

Look at MSC or Enco or McMaster carr. Search for lapping compound. Valve lapping compund is way to rough. Even to begin with.

At the end of it all. Lapping machine tools is for precision. Run the machine and it will lap its self. Me I wasted a lot of time lapping and saw no improvement :(

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Smile

Ours has past bad slop issues. I wonder how a Delrin gib would do over the metal one. My sherline has a plastic composite gib and that works good
Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I used Mother's Mag Polish It probably took a lot more elbow grease than was necessarily but I didn't want it cutting too fast.

I skipped out on work early and finished getting it put back together. IMO the extra care given during the build really showed once it was all lubed and adjusted. All the slides and hand wheels are smooth with no play.

Got a few knife parts for DwaneO turned out too. The ones on the left were done at work with the 24" chuck, that's when I decided it was time for my own machine. A chuck that big and a part that small is ridiculous. I just did the ones on the right. Only 21 more to go

I'm already jonesing for more tooling
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #39
RCC Addict

WOW lookin good. Now what material is that, 6061, 12L14 or Stainless

I finally got the cross feed and the X lapped in. The Z works fine so I am NOT futzing with it one bit. Aquafresh tooth paste makes a great fine lapping compound, plus it gives the machine good breath

Whats your take on the A2Z tool post? I am debating CNCing the lathe semi-shortly and I plan to use it like a Haas TL-1, both manual AND cnc . In my shop class we use KDK holders but im not sure how good the A2Z is in comparison
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, 6061.

I wish that I would have gone with a wedge style but this one seems to work fine so far.