Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Best $21 ever spent. Servo Connector Crimping Pilers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
RCC Addict

I used to work at a cable bulding place we would make wire harnesses for everthing from dash cams in cop cars to large harnesses for trains and everthing in between. I crimped alot durring my daily builds and these type of crimpers are awesome I must have crimped 1k pins +? aday. I watched the vid and have never seen it done his way. I and everyone inworked with put the pin in the tool then inserted then inserted the wire ( after having some copper showing) and just crimped, it's alot faster than his method. Side note, we also had a crimping machine that was awesome it was 6' tall and 3' wide and deep and you could crimp a lit of wires in a short time.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best $21 ever spent. Servo Connector Crimping Pilers

For what ever reason the ones I make never have the holding power of the factory plugs. Mine are always a little loose unlike the factory ones that you have to pull pretty hard on to remove. I've tried all of ServoCities pins I also have their crimper. Any ideas?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
For what ever reason the ones I make never have the holding power of the factory plugs. Mine are always a little loose unlike the factory ones that you have to pull pretty hard on to remove. I've tried all of ServoCities pins I also have their crimper. Any ideas?
When you crimp the connector, how do you do it?

So, it looks like a U shape.....I first put the bottom side of the U down in the female part of the tool, and crimp. Then, I turn it over and crimp again (which will smash the tops of the U into the wire). I also go along and make sure that the length of the connector is crimped properly (just dont go too far toward the end of the connector as it will snap off those little tabs). I have never had a connector that I made loosen up on me...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

When I started crimping, I worried about cutting the wire. I found that I have to squeeze the hell out of it to cut the wire. I have not had one come apart since finding this out. Try a tester out to gauge how hard you need to squeeze.
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
When you crimp the connector, how do you do it?

So, it looks like a U shape.....I first put the bottom side of the U down in the female part of the tool, and crimp. Then, I turn it over and crimp again (which will smash the tops of the U into the wire). I also go along and make sure that the length of the connector is crimped properly (just dont go too far toward the end of the connector as it will snap off those little tabs). I have never had a connector that I made loosen up on me...
I'm using a crimper much like the one in the video in Shane's first post I picked it up at servocity.

The crimper has three different sized jaws, I've been using the smallest one.

The female pins all fit snuggly on the any male pin before their crimped and you have to pull reasonably hard to pull it out. After crimping the female pin they get loose on the male pin.

I'll try the center set of jaws I'm thinking the small set might be distorting the pin at full compression. I'll let you guys know how that turns out.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Oh....then I'd do what that guy does......I dont use a fancy one like that. Just a cheap version.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I've been doing it like the video but the female is opening up and the fit is sloppy.

It's to bad they look OEM factory but they loose the grip on those males after crimping.

It's something I'm doing wrong I'll keep working on figuring it out. I'll even re-watch the video again my ADD might have gotten in the way.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 02-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Got every thing working. I needed to change how much wire I stripped in preparation for the female pin, I was getting a little insulation in the striped wire wing area.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I have been using those crimpers for years on 1/12 scale RC cars. Not a lot of room on those smal race cars and every oz. counts.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

now you need one of these.

The Jigs Up
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote