Notices

Thread: Smith little torch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Smith little torch

I got a estimate on this http://smithequipment.com/products/p...009/page16.pdf

less than $150.00 includeing taxes from Airgas

Have to wait till next week to get it as they don't stock just the torch and tips. They only had the one that comes with regulators. But it feels great in the hand. my old one is twice this size.

does anyone use this torch?
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Here is another one that may be worth looking at.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95671
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
No, it's not worth looking at for $130.....the Smith is the way to go if you feel that you need a micro torch. The quality in the Harbor Freight is just not there for something like a gas torch. I've been using a standard sized Victor torch body for years with a #0 brazing tip and it works perfectly, but the Smith is a really nice setup.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I've been using a standard sized Victor torch body for years with a #0 brazing tip and it works perfectly, but the Smith is a really nice setup.

I have the Victor as well, it works great but i love the small body of the smith. I have a small body tweeko as well but its twice the size of the smith.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I may get a Smith little torch some day, it would be nice to have something that compact. I'd stay away from anything from Harbor Freight that involves fire......that and a parachute .
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post

Have to wait till next week to get it as they don't stock just the torch and tips. They only had the one that comes with regulators. But it feels great in the hand. my old one is twice this size.

Talk to kaetwo, he switched to this setup earlier this year. It's on my 'must own' list as well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
No, it's not worth looking at for $130.....the Smith is the way to go if you feel that you need a micro torch. The quality in the Harbor Freight is just not there for something like a gas torch. I've been using a standard sized Victor torch body for years with a #0 brazing tip and it works perfectly, but the Smith is a really nice setup.
I have this setup with victor gauges, mapp/oxy. I bought it at my local HF for $95. Seems to work really well for me but i may be wrong , I'm a newb at brazing.
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
I have this setup with victor gauges, mapp/oxy. I bought it at my local HF for $95. Seems to work really well for me but i may be wrong , I'm a newb at brazing.
I was at Harbor Freight today and looked at the one they carry (on sale for $79) The big differance that I can see is the fit and finish and the tips, the smith tips have synthetic stones in them and the harbor freight ones don't as far as i can tell.

I usualy buy the best tool I can afford, you might be paying for the name, but they didn't get the name by making a bad tool.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #9

I cant tell you about the other torches, but i have used the smith little torch all most every day for the past 5 years. My family and I run a jewelery shop and they have been using them for 25 years. In my opinion there the best torch for fine work. They are very comfortable and easy to direct heat. The one down side is that heating large pieces takes a little more time, than a hoke or other large torch. The smith has a large number of tips available for it so there a tip for every job. Also if you buy one of these torches it will last forever, we have a few that are over 30 years old and they get used a ton. Oh and we use oxy/propane.
coler2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't agree with coler2002 more. The Smith torch is so versital and reliable and simply works amazing. It's a bit of an investment at first, but it's totally worth it.

Here is my setup.

Attached Images

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Guys, that helped make up my mind. I will be ordering one next week!!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

which kit are you guys using?

the 23-1001D or 23-1014?

this would be for my wife (i personally would not know what to do with it ). she used to do a good deal of jewelry making and fine arts with precious metals and has been wanting to get back into it. i'd ask her, but then there would be no suprise.

what is a 'B' tank?

is one of these set ups for the person who already has the two tanks for the gases and the regulators so it has no gas tank fittings, while the other comes with the little tops for the disposable bottles? or do they both come with the valves for these disposable bottles?

thanks for any help and input you could offer me.
wicked4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If I was doing it all over again I would buy this kit;

http://enet.smithequipment.com/publi...PLID=&Country=

23-1010P

This kit comes with the 5 tips, caddy, Oxy tank, 2 Regulators and the torch with a hose kit. It's by far the cheapest way to do it. It costs more at first but it does save you about $100.00 in the end and tat's not including Oxygen costs that you waste.

I personally built my kit from 23-1014. However the Oxy tanks at Lowes/Home Depot don't last long and at $7.00 each, they start adding up. My Oxy tank was $110.00 filled and will only cost me $10.00 to fill each time. The tank at 2000PSI will last me about 6-7 good sized projects, where I would go through 2-3 disposible tanks with each build.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked4x4 View Post
which kit are you guys using?

the 23-1001D or 23-1014?

this would be for my wife (i personally would not know what to do with it ). she used to do a good deal of jewelry making and fine arts with precious metals and has been wanting to get back into it. i'd ask her, but then there would be no suprise.

what is a 'B' tank?

is one of these set ups for the person who already has the two tanks for the gases and the regulators so it has no gas tank fittings, while the other comes with the little tops for the disposable bottles? or do they both come with the valves for these disposable bottles?

thanks for any help and input you could offer me.
could one of you guru's offer a bit of advice on this for me?
wicked4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I was using 23-1014 but I went through disposable Oxy tanks to quickly and swapped to re-usable tanks. It comes with 1 #5 tip.

23-1001D - Comes with a bunch of tips (2-6) I think, and requires regulators.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

My girlfriend has recently started with jewlery making.....this could be an easily justified expense
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

If you have about another $150 to spend, you could go with the swiss torch setup like I did. It's slick.

dps50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #18

This is another option - Meco - https://www.tinmantech.com/html/kits_all.php

I have a good friend who welds any thing from aluminum to chromoly with it for building planes!! All the aircraft guys use this torch. works great.

You can buy it not as a kit for ~130.00. Also, check out Tin Man's site - his metal forming is AMAZING!!
magicald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
RCC Addict

On Ebay from a company in Israel for $79,95, Looks like model 23-1001d

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post

neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I couldn't agree with coler2002 more. The Smith torch is so versital and reliable and simply works amazing. It's a bit of an investment at first, but it's totally worth it.

Here is my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
If I was doing it all over again I would buy this kit;

http://enet.smithequipment.com/publi...PLID=&Country=

23-1010P

This kit comes with the 5 tips, caddy, Oxy tank, 2 Regulators and the torch with a hose kit. It's by far the cheapest way to do it. It costs more at first but it does save you about $100.00 in the end and tat's not including Oxygen costs that you waste.

I personally built my kit from 23-1014. However the Oxy tanks at Lowes/Home Depot don't last long and at $7.00 each, they start adding up. My Oxy tank was $110.00 filled and will only cost me $10.00 to fill each time. The tank at 2000PSI will last me about 6-7 good sized projects, where I would go through 2-3 disposible tanks with each build.

Hope that helps.

Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but this is EXACTLY what I have been searching RCC and Google for. I'm just getting into brazing, but found my BernzOmatic TS8000 MAPP torch to have a flame that's too large and feathery for RC use. I'm using 3/16 x 0.035" tube and Safety-Silver 45T so I don't need a lot of heat, but I do need it to be localized. I've been searching for a jeweler's torch that uses disposable MAPP canisters and a refillable O2 tank. I didn't realize that Smith makes a kit for exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for posting the link to that Smith kit, kaetwo.
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote