Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Soldering - doing it the RIGHT way - video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soldering - doing it the RIGHT way - video

I've seen some pictures and videos of some shady looking solder joints, and even people telling others how to solder and getting it ALL WRONG...

So I found these videos a while back and thought that I'd share them.

Personally, I learned to solder by the age of 13 by my father, and later when I found these videos, it's exactly how he once taught me

But anywho, watch and enjoy, and I hope you learn something new!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXX...eature=related
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Yea, i've seen lots of horrible how to solder guides...i pretty much learned how to solder myself. Watched my dad afew times but other than that its just been practice. I agree with everything said in the top video, didn't watch the second.

A good soldering iron makes a HUGE difference though
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice video !!! the guy in the firts vid has some really nice tips and other interested stuff !!!! thanks for share this iamsuperbleeder
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion this is the right way.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have been professionally soldering for nearly 10 years now, and I can say that the first video is definitely a great one for noobs. The second vid is not as correct. He said when soldering the joint, to never touch the solder to the iron which is not true, If you watch, see how long it takes the solder to actually flow into the wire. That's too long in my opinion. You will start melting shit at that point. I always put a dab of solder on the tip, then when I tin a wire for example, I will put the solder on the tip, then drag it over onto the wire. This helps heat transfer better, and faster, thus not melting stuff. The first video demonstrates this perfectly.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for posting this. I feel confident using it as a guide with the posative feedback. I wish I had listened better when my Dad tried to teach me. He built a bunch of old Heath kit amps & stuff back in the day. I retained enough of what he taught me about electronics to keep my tounge out of the light sockets...

BTW, nice avetar battery man.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
I have been professionally soldering for nearly 10 years now, and I can say that the first video is definitely a great one for noobs. The second vid is not as correct. He said when soldering the joint, to never touch the solder to the iron which is not true, If you watch, see how long it takes the solder to actually flow into the wire. That's too long in my opinion. You will start melting shit at that point. I always put a dab of solder on the tip, then when I tin a wire for example, I will put the solder on the tip, then drag it over onto the wire. This helps heat transfer better, and faster, thus not melting stuff. The first video demonstrates this perfectly.
I agree, I do the same thing. the only reason I included the second video is because it actually deals with soldering stranded core wire which is more common when messing with RC electronics than soldering to a PCB

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
sim
Quarry Creeper

I only watched the first video. I thought I already knew how to Solder. Picked up some new tips from watching the video. Thanks.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Great thread. It's nice to get some professional insight into something I have picked up in my spare time. I had no real understanding of flux or that the tip would corrode if not tinned. This thread has saved me money!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote