Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brass threded insert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystRacing View Post
Austin I haven't been back on here till this morning. I don't have any left handed stuff at all. The smallest center cutting end mill I have is 1/8". I managed to get a screw out 1 time with a very small carbide drill but i've tried the same thing on several other occasions and just broke the tiny drill.
ok
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
Got Worms?

Well, taking an 1/16 end mill and trying to back it out with a left handed cuttor or easy out didn't work...so tossed a 1/8" end mill into the machine and milled down right before it hit the king pin. that wasn't a huge success. As the burs or something still had a latch on the pin...i could rotate the pin though so i knew it was free.

So nearly completely destroyed everything and got the cvd and cup out between the knuckle and c, i stuck a punch through the upper king pin and pressed the pin out.

So now time to drill and tap a new hole for the set screw, and clean up the pin hole, figure out why its so tight.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Well at least you made some progress. I'd check and see if the pin is still straight.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
Got Worms?

Quote:
Well at least you made some progress. I'd check and see if the pin is still straight.
well the problem is...when i remounted the axle for the 1/8" endmill...i clamped on to tight onto the knuckle so it squeezed that hole i think. as it looks abit ovalish.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
well the problem is...when i remounted the axle for the 1/8" endmill...i clamped on to tight onto the knuckle so it squeezed that hole i think. as it looks abit ovalish.
It's never good when you can see it with the nekkid eye
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #26
Got Worms?

Quote:
It's never good when you can see it with the nekkid eye
i can see clearly it got clamped to hard (indentation marks) It kinda appears to be abit ovalish, but i can't tell for sure
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Told you it wouldnt be that bad.

Yea, you have to develop a feeling with the vise. It will usually get stiff and then if you keep going it doesnt change much, yea you just dented it hahaha. With delicate stuff I usually like to snug it up and then give it 2-3 taps with my hand to tighten it.

I swear my boss at my first machining job (Just basic operator) had some jedi mind tricks going on or something. He would come out of his office like once a day pick up a part of the the bucket I was throwing them in, every time it would be the one part that had dings in it because I got lazy and didnt clean the jaws before putting it in there. Lets just say I learned my lesson.

He also thought that since he upgraded to a 12,000RPM spindle that he should spin every tool that fast, I am talking every tool. We had a 8" shell mill spinning 12,000 feeding well over 100 just mowing through at least .5" of material. After about 2 years on a brand new machine the chips coming off of it finally broke a hole through the window on the right side of the machine, sketch for sure.

The tool reps would always come in and have him try the latest greatest endmills before taking him out to lunch. One day this guy comes in and basically dares him to try and break this endmill, so of course we tried. He had a 1/2" FEM going 1" deep full width through some 6061 @ 12,000RPM and 300IPM that was nuts. Talk about material removal rate, doesnt get much higher than that! Before I left it got to the point that we were scooping chips out of the machines once every one or two hours, I'm talking 4-6 55 gallon drums full of chips a day out of each machine! Yea, I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Anyways, back to your problem. I would say if you have a reamer the correct size just ream that sucker just make sure you are dead center before you do it. Got a pic of the part in question? Im sure there is a easy way to hold it just to clean up the bore in it.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 09-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Told you it wouldnt be that bad.

Yea, you have to develop a feeling with the vise. It will usually get stiff and then if you keep going it doesnt change much, yea you just dented it hahaha. With delicate stuff I usually like to snug it up and then give it 2-3 taps with my hand to tighten it.

I swear my boss at my first machining job (Just basic operator) had some jedi mind tricks going on or something. He would come out of his office like once a day pick up a part of the the bucket I was throwing them in, every time it would be the one part that had dings in it because I got lazy and didnt clean the jaws before putting it in there. Lets just say I learned my lesson.

He also thought that since he upgraded to a 12,000RPM spindle that he should spin every tool that fast, I am talking every tool. We had a 8" shell mill spinning 12,000 feeding well over 100 just mowing through at least .5" of material. After about 2 years on a brand new machine the chips coming off of it finally broke a hole through the window on the right side of the machine, sketch for sure.

The tool reps would always come in and have him try the latest greatest endmills before taking him out to lunch. One day this guy comes in and basically dares him to try and break this endmill, so of course we tried. He had a 1/2" FEM going 1" deep full width through some 6061 @ 12,000RPM and 300IPM that was nuts. Talk about material removal rate, doesnt get much higher than that! Before I left it got to the point that we were scooping chips out of the machines once every one or two hours, I'm talking 4-6 55 gallon drums full of chips a day out of each machine! Yea, I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Anyways, back to your problem. I would say if you have a reamer the correct size just ream that sucker just make sure you are dead center before you do it. Got a pic of the part in question? Im sure there is a easy way to hold it just to clean up the bore in it.
Wholly cows. I want that end mill

As for the vise pressure, the first time i had it clamped down throught the axle, not uber tight. but the second time when i went in with the 1/8" carbide fem it was just the knuckle and c, so i i was clamping on a small square 1/4" so i had to get it extra snug so it wouldn't twist on me.

Anyways i have the pin so it fits now. I just took a normal drill that was (i measure) about .003 smaller than the pin, then i went in with a file type tool on a dremel, and did afew passes on the inside, and the pin fits now, its abit loose, but the set screw will snug it up, AND the part that needs to hold tight is in the C. So i'm all good there.

I did manage to find a set screw that screws right into the .125 hole. It was a #6 or a #8. I'm not sure though. So i think i'm going to leave it. and not worry

So, so far so good. Now i just have to get them all mounted up.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post

Sounds like a shop I worked in. We ran 2 Fadal 40x60 3 axis mills at high speed. Sounded more like a wood shop than a metal shop!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote