Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Drilling and cutting brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default Drilling and cutting brass

I'm interested in making some knuckle weights out of brass but I've heard it is very different to work with than steel, aluminum and plastic.

I'll need to saw, lathe (turn), mill, drill and tap the brass. Anybody have tips on what to do and not do? Thanks.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would rate it somewhere between steel and aluminum. Its not bad, dont be scared of it. Generally it is a little bit stringy kinda like turning plastic (delrin, abs, teflon) and quite dense like steel but much softer.

Sharp tools are a good idea (when are they not) and I would suggest doing some test cuts on the lathe, I suggest starting with a slow speed and a quick feed. Sawing and drilling it wont give you any trouble and like always plenty of cutting fluid for the tap.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've always noticed that the hotter the brass gets, the 'stickier' it gets, which will draw in the cutter, so be sure to keep the speeds and feeds slow and use a little cutting oil on it while doing the machine work.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Cool

Sharp tools, I swear by them and everyone in the machine shop class im in thinks im dumb till I show them why...

Brass is VERY nice and easy to cut in my opinion. Just be careful with drilling since it can be a little "grabby" on the drill but other than that just mess around a little and don't make to big a mistake since its expensive stuff

Two little notes: The shavings can be SHARP like steel {OUCH!} and obviously don't let it get into anything electronic or it will release the magic smoke, and that's not pretty metal particles are mean like that

What machine do you plan to use it on just out of curiousness
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
sim
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys.

I'll be turning, drilling, milling and boring them on a Sherline mill and lathe. I'm not too worried about the size of the machines, but just safety and best practices.

I'll try and use new drill bits and newish HSS tools. I've heard about the drills grabbing. Is it then a bad idea to drill from small to big holes? I'd like to drill a hole bigger than 1/4" before I start boring.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Actually it shouldn't be an issue just to drill the bigger hole.
Just don't drill too fast. Take it slow and you'll be fine.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

The important thing to know when machining any metal is knowing it's cutting speed. This is expressed in Surface Feet per Minute. From there you can find the calculations to determine your feeds and speeds that will give you the best results and longest tool life.

If you search online, there are calculators for all of that and can get you started in the right direction. Good luck and post pictures of your procedure. I'd like to see how you set up and make these.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
sim
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Will look up the cutting speeds. My machines have a variable speed knob but no DRO so I never know how fast they are turning. I'll see if I can figure that out first.

The brass projects are kind of on hold now as I'm rushing to get a Bully up and running first. Thanks for all the help, guys. Will keep all these tips in mind when I get back to making the brass weights. Soon, hopefully.

Last edited by sim; 09-08-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I know this is a couple months old but when drilling brass, it's good to grind small flats on the cutting edges of the drill bit. The drill bit won't want to get sucked into the material if you do this. I do it at work all the time. Otherwise, brass is very nice to machine; one of the nicest IMO.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote