Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Jig building questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Default Jig building questions

I have been out of r/cing for a while and I am getting back into it. I have built a couple of TLT axled crawlers and a clod based one. I have been reading and reading about which axles I want to use. So I decided to use bully axles. I am building a jig (out of scrap) to set the axles on to build the crawler with my axles in a set position. I am building a plate chassis and have some idea's I am going to try. Anyway I built the main structure out of 1.5X1.5X.090 stainless box. I built it in a "I" shape with 1.5X3X.125 stainless angle with it drilled and tapped for adjustable feet to level the jig. I am in the process of building a set of UHMW axle blocks with bands to hold the axles in a set position and buld off them. I also have to build adjustable center support yet to hold the chassis at the hieght I choose for clearance and break over. I bet some of you are thinking why would he build a jig to build one crawler. Well I have two kids and the wife who want one and they are deciding which axles they want to use so I will be building a total of four 2.2 crawlers as time and money allow.

I am a millrite by trade and have access to a full machine shop at work to use on this so it and the crawler should turn out pretty sweet so we will see.

I do have a question tho what is the maximum wheel base for a 2.2 crawler? I think I read it is 12.5 in.

Enough of this on to the pictures let me know what you think.

Let me know please on the wheel base if you know for sure I am sitting mine at the max to start with.

THANKS
T.U.F.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

I tried the photos but I took them on my phone and they look like a$$ so I will take my camera to work tomorrow and take some good photos.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

12.5" wheel base to be legal for 2.2 competitions.

I have made a couple wheel base jigs over the years. This is the first one I could find a picture of (for a 1.9), but just to give you an idea.
Attached Images

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Found the one I currently use. It can be adjusted for 1.9 or 2.2 max wheel base. It is a bit more elaborate and does similar to what you are wanting to do with the chassis support.
Attached Images

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #5

Sven the last one is more similar to the one I am building. I like the adjustability the last one has. I considered that on the one I am building but I am only (for now anyway) building 2.2 crawlers. I like the way the first one fits the axles out past the hub I think I am going to make mine more adjustable.

Thank for the pictures I will post some of mine tomorrow when I get off work.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i went with the K.I.S.S. system and use this WB jig i made from junk around the house....

only cost me bout 3 bucks for the L-brackets from walmart....i find out what the hex to hex across the axle measurement is and maka two lines that far apart....

then mark lines for my wheel base i want to use....

then cut a block of wood for my ground clearence i want....

hope this helps out some body ..........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
RCC Addict

nice and simple. couple of pieces of scrap aluminium angle. a piece
of plywood and some wood screws. bits of wood or whatever holds things in the right place

[IMG][/IMG]
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

I'm from the School of Simple Jig Design myself. I've done a few but really like clear lexan side...makes it easy to see and you can mark the outside with a Sharpie for reference. I also like having the axles held at ride height.

edit:
One drawback to this setup is it's hard getting under the chassis with the side panels solid like that. I do my mockup, take my measurements and then slide it apart when it's time to assemble.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 10-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

C*H*U*D how hard of a time do you have getting under your chassis with the side panels solid like that....i know i have a hard time getting in/around the one i made....that's why i made mine open as possible ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
C*H*U*D how hard of a time do you have getting under your chassis with the side panels solid like that....i know i have a hard time getting in/around the one i made....that's why i made mine open as possible ........bob

Damn...I thought I had that in my post. Must have hit submit too soon.

One drawback to this setup is it's hard getting under the chassis with the side panels solid like that. I do my mockup, take my measurements and then slide it apart when it's time to assemble.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

well fellas I took the one I was building and pitched that thing in the recycle bin I am going to build it out of poly carbonate and a little UHMW. I like the designs of some and the simplicity I think I was WAY over thinking this jig. I will start on it again tonight after my ends.

THANKS for the pictures and idea's
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

one thought i had about mine is to cut out the center of the wood. this would make it easy to access the underside. a couple of strips of ply under the axles to help set caster angles and all just held together with wood screws.

i want to build a longer wheelbase version so i can set up for a superclass crawler. i would like to get some 2" or even 3" angle to do that, but having no luck finding any scrap at the moment.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

I have the jig about done I am sorry it took so long but 191 hrs in the last 14 days at work put a little kink in my jig building but I have it about finished thanks again for all the pictures and replies. I should have pictures up tomorrow.