Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Building with a flux welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Default Building with a flux welder

Picked up a nice Hobart 125EZ for some diy at home repairs from ebay for $229. Cheap! It's a flux based welder(I know, boo flux) but it fit in my budget perfectly.

Anyone have any luck using it to fab up tube stuff with brake line etc? Can't wait for it. i used to play with my father in laws Miller gas mig setup, but i can't swing $600 for a setup right now.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

yeah i use one for brake line welding.. it does a pretty good job. i have built bumpers and a new rear cage withe it
GJ crawl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have a Lincoln flux core welder. It welds small stuff very good. If the lowest setting is still too hot, just plug it up with a really long drop cord and it will drop the voltage a little.
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have one. Just turn it down and "burn some rod" as my welding teacher used to say. Its tuff to weld the brake line without burning through it so I suggest getting a torch even a cheap one will work. but the welder is still perfect for holding it all lined up and in place.
86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yea the problem with welding thin stuff with a flux core wire is that the flux wire runs a lot hotter than a solid wire with shielding gas.

Hobart welders are basically relabeled millers, I used to have a small 110v unit that came as flux but included the regulator to switch over to gas. I would recommend doing that it you can.

I not have a miller 110v welder (basically the same welder I used to have but my old one got stolen) running gas and I'm not sure if I would use it for brakeline, its hard to weld that thin without burning a hole.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #6

Default Cool

Cool, sounds like the flux would be great for solid stuff like bumpers and sliders where weight isnt a big deal as opposed to trying to do a full cage in brake tubing to save on weight.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yea, even then plan on spending a lot more time cleaning up your welds. Flux has a ton of slag and it spatters all over the place.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

I figure it will be a great way to learn and play with welding and if I use it more then I expected, then I can find a good reason to sink the bucks into a shileded gas setup.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Do you have a link to the one you got? I bet you can put a regulator on it and run gas although you will have to invest in gas...Gas cost went through he roof since last time I filled my bottle.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Yea, even then plan on spending a lot more time cleaning up your welds. Flux has a ton of slag and it spatters all over the place.
Yep, the clean up is what keeps me from messing with it.
I've got a Hobart Handler 140 and I hardly ever use it for RC.
Maybe someday when I switch to gas and get away from the flux wire.
I have more $ in my torch than the welder so I braze everything and havn't had anything break yet. I would rather spend the time makeing my joints fit clean before I braze with very little clean up after than spend the time to ground down weld"s, smooth,etc after.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i have a small buzz box and i have found that tak welding a chassis together then brazing it up works great. you get minimal to no spatter and clean brazed joints

Last edited by joeyf; 10-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote