Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Scroll saw tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scroll saw tips?

Just got a screaming deal on a craftsmen scroll saw. $40 and it has only been used twice! I bought it to use to cut delrin and aluminum. Any tips? Also, what blades should I use? Any one brand better then the other? The guy I bought it from told me there are some new blades out that are like a rat tail file and you can cut in any direction with them. Anyone use these?

Thanks
TurboShadow
TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

never tried them but....
SuperCut Bandsaw Co., Inc. Products
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboShadow View Post
Just got a screaming deal on a craftsmen scroll saw. $40 and it has only been used twice! I bought it to use to cut delrin and aluminum. Any tips? Also, what blades should I use? Any one brand better then the other? The guy I bought it from told me there are some new blades out that are like a rat tail file and you can cut in any direction with them. Anyone use these?

Thanks
TurboShadow
Real steady hand and lots of practice! I try to use a fine blade for smoother cuts but dont go to small because they balde may gunk up some.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Just cut a shock tower out for my rustler just for something to build. Turned out decent for a first attempt I didnt spend much time on. One thing I ran into is I have no idea how tight I need to set the blade tension, any advice? Also, what blades do you guys use for delrin and aluminum? I used the wood blade the saw came with to cut the delrin. It worked good, but I did get a little bit of melting. Is that sign of to fast or too slow? All in all I am very happy with my purchase! here is a pic of the quickly shock tower and the saw.

TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

From what all materials I have cut I have noticed: Plastics need to be cut slow with a large tooth blade with less TPI. On aluminum and thin steel I use fast speed and high TPI blades and small teeth. THe spiral blades I have do not fit my saw that well, so I do not use them.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
From what all materials I have cut I have noticed: Plastics need to be cut slow with a large tooth blade with less TPI. On aluminum and thin steel I use fast speed and high TPI blades and small teeth. THe spiral blades I have do not fit my saw that well, so I do not use them.
Hey Gula-have you tried to cut sheet metal w/ a high TPI?
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The spiral blades will work fine at medium to high speed but require a saw with Pinless blade mounts. As to tension, I would go to Craftsman.com and get your manual and follow that, as there are no guides on a scroll like on a band saw, there is not standard defection so you need to set according to the manufacturer.

Low speed for delrin and styrene and big speed for aluminum you want high tooth count and a hacksaw profile if you can find it.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I too am looking for some tips, as I recently bought a scroll saw to do some work with. I started with an Olson brand "variety pack" of blades. It has 10, 15, 18 TPI blades in it. I remember seeing that a "skip tooth" blade works well and was recommended for aluminum cutting. I can not attest to this yet, haven't had a chance to make it back to the hardware store.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote