Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: What Best Automotive Grease for Trannys/Axles/Servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What Best Automotive Grease for Trannys/Axles/Servos

Okay I just can't wait on ordering up Gear Science or Rocky Jelly or none of the more crawler related greases.

I usually just grease steel on steel or steel on aluminum with white lithium aluminum grease. I found a huge tube of white grease (no-name brand) from Harbor freight. After disassembly I have found that this grease does not stay on the gears too long to keep them properly lubricated.

So I went out yesterday and bought some Lucas Red n Tacky #2 with a grease gun for my Wraith build which will have all hardened gears. I plan on using this grease for the axles as well.

I understand for the most part servos you should use white lithium grease for waterproofing and then plasti-dip the servo and cut out the heat fins. I've had great luck with that process.

Lucas Red n Tacky good for metal on metal only? Can I pack them in axles? Bad on servos?
Also is white lithium grease better by brand names?

I just bought a tube of this since my "mult-purpose white lithium grease" is VERY thin in viscosity after the gears start working the grease in.

Permatex/1.5 oz. (42.524 g.) white lithium grease (80345) | | AutoZone.com
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i use the red valvoline auto wheel bearing grease........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Defy Gravity

a little different demands for me with the worms, but i'm having great results with john deere hd moly in them. for servos, i put a thin coat of an oil i found at the hardware store called super lube, works well in bearings as well. the rest of the gears are plastic, and i run plastic gears dry. been tempted to do some tests with deere sp corn head grease, its a thin grease that is made for low speed gearboxes that thins out to a gear oil consistency as it runs.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

Lucas red and Tacky, try it you'll know.
fishonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've been having pretty good luck with mobil1 synthetic. I figure if it's good enough for my real truck, it should work for my crawlers too
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I use Valvoline High Temp sticky. I use it on everything from all of my buses and vehicles to my RC Rigs.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Suck it up!

Mobile 1 Synthetic.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ive been using a sticky heavy duty machine grease. its held up in my tranny for over a year now of non comp crawling
weeble163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Lubriplate Gear shield Extra heavy grease rocks, what I use. just bought a new tube for about $4 at local seal and bearing supply. it is very sticky and stays on the gears... I got the caucking gun tube and just do a tiny peirce of the tip. it will lay a nice bead all around the gears. It also comes in an areosol spray can but costs about $8 and you dont get as much grease. plus its messy for RC applications. My buddy builds carousels and that is all he uses on all the open gear mechanisms that drive them. spray works nice for that type of app.
Lubriplate

here is the spray can version
Lubriplate

Lastly I use this for soaking all the bearings then just wipe off the outsides before install. It displaces moisture so great for the axle and C bearings. that can was about 7 bucks
Lubriplate

Last edited by soutthpaw; 11-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I haven't tried it yet, but once my new honcho TR gets all dirty and needs cleaned and re-greased, I plan to use my Bel-Ray water proof grease that I use on my trusty (ok broken now) KX250F.
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i packed my axle full of lucal red and tacky and it seems to be holding up. i dont hear and grinding or nothing so im assuming its alright . havent been running it that long something like 3 weeks or so.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Vaseline.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

packing the gearcase will do more harm than good unless its a worm drive which needs it. a thin coat of good grease on the teeth is all that is needed. the rest is just a dirt magnet and increases resistance inside the gearcase
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If you pack your scaler axles end to end including the ring/pinion to a point where it oozes out there is no way mud or water will get in there. Seal up any holes on the axle housing as well.

And I mean OOZE out. Then clean it off with nitro degreaser and you're ready for submarine runs without the fear of seizing up the axles and smoking your motor.

True you will get resistance but once the grease works itself around the ring/pinion it will create a gap in the grease for the gears to rotate smoothly.

On my comp rig I don't do that for the fact that it gets real messy and with HD spiral gears just a bit of grease is enough.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Bel Ray Blue Tac Chain lube!! Best stuff in the world.
bmangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Marine bearing grease for trailers works good.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote