RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   How to weld aluminum chassis??? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/346478-how-weld-aluminum-chassis.html)

jpraccer 11-06-2011 01:15 AM

How to weld aluminum chassis???

Im trying to build a scale chassis for my car and i cant get the welds to stick to the aluminum and i went to get a pencil torch and hand torch so i dont know what to do and iv been following all the instructions so help please thanks

pixelnate 11-06-2011 01:24 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a TIG welder to weld aluminum?

It can be brazed, though, using this: Aero Braze Rod & Flux.

jpraccer 11-06-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelnate (Post 3366494)
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a TIG welder to weld aluminum?

It can be brazed, though, using this: Aero Braze Rod & Flux.

Well theres things around to do it but apparently its not working to well for me... Haha but ill check that out and thankss

86zuk 11-06-2011 08:07 AM

mig, tig, braze or torch welding. but a stick welder will not work. screws allways work and will hold any two items together.:ror:

dj-jazy-jeff 11-06-2011 08:18 AM

tig it

Use a tig welder its stronger cleaner and you can control the heat a lot easier. If you don't have access most certified welders like beer.

soutthpaw 11-06-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86zuk (Post 3366703)
mig, tig, braze or torch welding. but a stick welder will not work. screws allways work and will hold any two items together.:ror:

you can weld with DC SMAW (stick) weld... as long as its about 1/8 thick material or thicker. it takes some practice though. also u need a good welder. the quality of the welder will make a big difference on running a aluminum rod. I have used these and they are only $10 for half lb. about 16-18 rods per pack Us Forge 1932 "ALUMINUM" FLUX COAT ROD 1/2LB - 1/8".

Straightjacket 11-06-2011 09:09 AM

Welding alluminum with a torch is not easy! I did it using all. stick rod, it has flux on it. It worked but looked messy. If I was going to try it again I'd get some small dia. stick rod, and some good flux paste. I was also told that cobalt blue lenses let you see the puddle better, but I could never find any?
Good luck, and pics!"thumbsup"

the DMG 11-06-2011 10:19 AM

all i can say is good luck with that !!

with out any kind-a shield gas, your going to have a vary dirty weld.
dirty welds = no strength,
even more so in alum welding.

all-though alum can be welded with a stick or a gas welder, your not going to get a good/strong weld !!

Ive been welding alum crawler chassis for years now,
tig is the only way to go "thumbsup"

the DmG

crawl-o-matic 11-06-2011 10:29 AM

How to braze aluminum:

1. Use high quality brazing rod. Clean your aluminum stock with MEK...then clean it again using a new rag. The aluminum can have ZERO mill oil contamination. Be sure to remove the MEK to another room and rid your work room of ALL MEK fumes as they are EXTREMELY flammable.

2. A simple propane torch works fine here...MAP doesn't work as well because it overheats the outer part of the work piece while leaving the core relatively cool. Also with MAP, by the time the core heats, the outer surface of the aluminum will sustain heat related damage in the form of oxidation, which will ruin the piece all together, It take time for even heating to occur.

"tin" both ends first. Use a "helping hands" type jig to hold your work in the air to avoid any heat sinking that a solid surface will create. Heat the surfaces slowly to the point the the rod will melt when placed of the surface...you don't want your flame to melt the rod. (this is where high quality rod shines)

3. Place both pieces together leaving a 2mm gap between them, again using a "helping hands" type jig.

4. Aluminum looses heat VERY quickly. Do not pull your flame away at any time, it only takes a micro second to loose the heat it took a minute to gain!

5. Place your brazing rod to the area of the 2mm gap first, it'll fill very quickly. Then run the rod up and down...don't be afraid to "over fill" the area because you'll need to grind it down later anyways. Carbide grinding bits work very well for this, but you can even use hand files if you have all day to work on it.

6. Important: Do not touch or otherwise move your work piece for a good 15min! Also: Do not attempt to "temper" the piece with water or oil.

feel free to PM me as needed

rockn 11-06-2011 11:37 AM

J/B Weld

86zuk 11-06-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the DMG (Post 3366873)
all i can say is good luck with that !!

with out any kind-a shield gas, your going to have a vary dirty weld.
dirty welds = no strength,
even more so in alum welding.

all-though alum can be welded with a stick or a gas welder, your not going to get a good/strong weld !!

Ive been welding alum crawler chassis for years now,
tig is the only way to go "thumbsup"

the DmG

thanks thats what I am saying with regard to stick welding alum.

crawl-o-matic 11-06-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockn (Post 3366978)
J/B Weld

how well does it work...I've been wondering about it. Does it require any special prep work?

R/CMaxximus5.0 11-06-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpraccer (Post 3366490)
Im trying to build a scale chassis for my car and i cant get the welds to stick to the aluminum and i went to get a pencil torch and hand torch so i dont know what to do and iv been following all the instructions so help please thanks

I don't think it was necessary to start 3 different threads on this...:roll:

the DMG 11-06-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 (Post 3367275)
I don't think it was necessary to start 3 different threads on this...:roll:

that's what i thought !!
but it just seems nicer to help some one out,
rather than complaining about two many threads :mrgreen:

he will figure how to do a thread search sooner or later "thumbsup"

usslandlocked 11-06-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straightjacket (Post 3366781)
Welding alluminum with a torch is not easy! I did it using all. stick rod, it has flux on it. It worked but looked messy. If I was going to try it again I'd get some small dia. stick rod, and some good flux paste. I was also told that cobalt blue lenses let you see the puddle better, but I could never find any?
Good luck, and pics!"thumbsup"

thats because cobalt blue lenses were taken off the market very bad on your eyes if you find one dont use it you will go blind!

R/CMaxximus5.0 11-06-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the DMG (Post 3367294)
that's what i thought !!
but it just seems nicer to help some one out,
rather than complaining about two many threads :mrgreen:

he will figure how to do a thread search sooner or later "thumbsup"

Its that time of the month for me...:ror:

crawl-o-matic 11-06-2011 09:31 PM

well, first he was talking about welding, then he started talking about torches so I figured he might want some info on brazing...because if he's hitting aluminum with an OA torch to weld it, that's about the worst thing he could do. The J/B just sort of slid in somehow (but it does make for a good side note)

squatch71 11-06-2011 10:35 PM

durafix baby...strong to

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1030002144.jpg

rockn 11-07-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic (Post 3367246)
how well does it work...I've been wondering about it. Does it require any special prep work?

Just mixing to parts take all 24hr to harden strong It work good

rockn 11-07-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squatch71 (Post 3368112)

Im gonna try this never herd of it"thumbsup"