Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Butane soldering iron options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Butane soldering iron options

I've run into situations enough times now where I'm looking at getting a butane or other cordless soldering iron for taking with me in to the field. Looking for options/ideas on what's out there. I use a 60W Weller at home and really like it, but as long as it gets the job done, I'm not picky
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I use a RadioShack brand butane soldering iron for emergency field repairs. Had it for years. Works well, it's a little finicky to get going, but once it fully warms up it will do the job. The iron and a butane refill bottle are permanent items in my tool box.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

My friend has a batter powered one. I think he got it from radio shack but I'm not sure. It works in a pinch, but it takes forever to heat up (maybe the batteries were low), and probably wouldn't work at all if it was cold outside.
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i started out with the cheapo bernzomatic pencil type iron, but found that i had to refill it all the time and the heat was finicky.

i now use the bluepoint yaks22 that came off the snap on truck. costs about $80 bucks and is refillable with cans from home depot or wherever. it gets super hot and comes with a few different types of tips for different jobs. the heat is very controllable and the fuel life is decent. i have not had to replace the small tip on it yet, but some people said if they use it every day for small soldering that they needed to replace the tip once a month. i've had this one for over two years and the tip is still like brand new. then again i take care of my tools that take care of me, so go figure.

the biggest thing you need to be aware of is where the exhaust heat is escaping from the tip. i made this mistake when i first got the iron and melted a spur gear adding a set of deans to the motor still mounted in the truck.

luckily i melted a spur gear and didn't set it down on the table as i have heard others have done.

hope that helps.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I use one of those Princess Auto pencil torches, and it works really really well. I prefer it to my 80 watt electric. The fuel tank is big enough to last a long time, and it is hot enough to braze with fine rod. I think I paid about 30 bucks for it
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
i now use the bluepoint yaks22 that came off the snap on truck. costs about $80 bucks and is refillable with cans from home depot or wherever. it gets super hot and comes with a few different types of tips for different jobs.
X2 Get this and never look back. It's saved my butt a few times in the field.
You can't really beat snap-on.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

i use harbor freight irons. they dont last super long but at $15 you really cant complain. rumor has it that you can use weller tips but i have never tried myself.
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Recently picked up a bernzomatic mini torch, not the pencil style one, the bigger one. Refillable and lights right away even in colder temps. Has a regular flame setting that is PERFECT for soldering and heat shrinking. Does a great job. Picked it up from Lowes for about 25 bucks. Well worth every dollar.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I too use a blue point off my snap on truck, lil pricey but well worth it!!
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote