Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How To: Make your own links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #201

Default Re: How To: Make your own links

Can anyone give me the measurement of a chaotic crawlers straight steering link for axial xr10? end to end?
thanks

Last edited by merlin_008; 04-30-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add
merlin_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper

I used this thread when I got my first SCX10 and never came back to thank everyone for all the info. 8/32 rod and 1/4 stainless tube from Homedepot/OSH + Traxxas 5525 ends work perfect for me. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Debonair; 04-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #203

I just got done making all new links for my Bruiser/Scx10 hybrid using info from this thread. Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread as well as the rest of the board I have found a ton of great info already!
Used Up Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #204

Want to thank everyone for all the great information on this thread. I am new to the crawler game and needed to make longer links for the back end of my komodo so last night I picked up some 5/16 delrin and made a couple in about 20 minutes. They cam out nice and should work great. I do have a question though.. the lower links should come from the outer mount of the axel and angle in...correct? And the uppers should go from the top of the pumpkin and angle out.. correct? I have done some research and that seems to be the way it should be done. Thank you.
BCrumB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #205
Rock Crawler

You can also make links from 3/16th solid aluminum rod. I got mine from McMaster Carr.
It looks really good, and you don't have to sleeve it like all-thread! Just cut it to length and put threads on the end with a 10-24 die.
You will need traxxas ball ends, and they should be drilled out with a 24 drill bit.
>>Multipurpose Anodized Aluminum (Alloy 6061) 3/16" Diameter, 3' Length<<

I used smaller diameter rod for the track bar and drag link (1/8"). I think it looks more scale,
and It's really beefy for being so small! I thought that it was kind of wobbly when I got it,
but after cutting it into shorter lengths and bending it up, it's very stiff! I have been running it for months, and it hasn't given me any problems.
Use a 4-40 die with the smaller diameter rod, and they can be used with stock Axial ball ends!
>>Multipurpose Anodized Aluminum (Alloy 6061) 1/8" Diameter, 3' Length<<

Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #206

Made my first links and got them all in and set without binding or hitting anything. Seems as though they will work much nicer then the ones I took off. I ended up adding a little over and inch to the length from the old ones that were on it.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #207

Hey all, now that I have the rear links built and on I want to do the fronts too. I have heard that the front links should be a little bit shorter then the rears. I wanted to find out if that is true, and if so how much shorter.

Also if they are shorter, why? what is the reason for the longer rear links?

thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #208
I joined the Band!

It is mearly preferance.. eo you want a longer wheelbase or shorter?

Now top and bottom links affect driveshaft angle. Make top too long or bottom too short and your driveshaft wil be pitched. There is no rule saying for rig a you need link of x size.

Someone got a micro raptor v8e chassis like I have... I stretched mine to 5.5 inch and he is running massive tires and 1/10 shocks making it no longer a micro......that is the fun of it

Sent from my Sprint Epic 4G using TapaTalk 2
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #209

got ya thanks, so should the tops and bottoms be about the same length (allowing for axel/drive shaft agnl)e? should they connect to the chassis in about the same place?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #210
~THE SCALE SHOP~

on my latest build i did this. no tools required and quiet cheap

Quote:
On the links I got lazy, but it gave me a great idea that worked out. I ordered some ¼” diameter threaded standoffs from Mcmaster carr as well as matching 8-32 studs. A perfect fit for the Revo rod ends. They make the standoffs in ½” increments, and in aluminum, steel, and stainless. About $1.30 each. These are the 3” and 4” aluminum versions. With the different lengths, and Revo and Jato rod ends you can make just about any length you'd want.
8-32 standoffs 1/4" Round
McMaster-Carr

8-32 studs
McMaster-Carr

rod ends
Revo Traxxas ROD ENDS REVO LARGE W/ HOLLOW BALLS (12)
Jato (longer) Traxxas Rod Ends/Hollow Balls (12ea): Jato

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 01-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

Been searching for info like this. Great thread.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #212
Rock Stacker

Got myself some of the "mcmaster" links and studs in the mail today. UPS ground and here in 1 day. Just waiting on all of my XR10 conversion parts and traxxas links!
TrimbleTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #213

1/4 stainless with 8/32 allthread. super easy to fab with a little time and a beefy tubing cutter.

i prefer the revo ends for the increased material as well, you can also trim them down a little bit if you dont get your lengths perfect. ive had the revo ends split but it was cold as heck at the time and it was a nasty tumble.

ive also bent the allthread at the rodend, but again nasty tumble.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #214

Great tip! I enjoy being able to make my own stuff!!
Twinhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #215

Scoped out Home Depot and found the stuff needed to make my own links, hobby shop tomorrow for revo rod ends. Thank you.
Biggdogg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #216

couple different ways to do it in this thread. anyone having problems with the solid threaded aluminum links? on my 1:1 i build my tie rod out of 7075 but i saw 6061 referenced.
Oscar da Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #217
RCC Addict

oscar - i used 3/16 6061 aluminum rod and cut 10-32 threads on them with no problem.
the revo rod ends have an outside diameter of about .280 so they could catch on rocks.
i will try some 1/4 rod and see if i can cut the threads without turning the ends down first.

it did take a bit of effort to bend the links so it would take a pretty hard tumble to bend them
in the field. 7075 would be stronget but mcmasters does not carry it in 3/16, 1/4 is the smallest.

another nice thing about the 6061 is that you can get it anodized or even chrome coated. it is an industrial
chrome so it comes out a flat grey color and it is supposed to be a bit slick.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Anyone else notice the supply of K&S precision metal at hardware stores and hobby shops has dried up? All the local locations to me that have K&S precision metal displays are mostly empty with brass and aluminum being all that is left behind and even that is in short supply. I wonder if they are getting out of the business or have some other major shortage. It has been this way for quite a while.

I need to find an alternate local supplier for my 1/4 stainless steel tubing, part# 87115 or 7115 I think.

Last edited by Debonair; 01-02-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Anyone else notice the supply of K&S precision metal at hardware stores and hobby shops has dried up? All the local locations to me that I have K&S precision metal displays are mostly empty with brass and aluminum being all that is left behind and even that is in short supply. I wonder if they are getting out of the business or have some other major shortage. It has been this way for quite a while.

I need to find an alternate local supplier for my 1/4 stainless steel tubing.

McMaster Carr 89495K275 (SS 1/4") for sleeving 8/32" all thread. Just ordered some this week.

And I ordered 1/4" standoffs in various lengths based on Stang's picture. With rod end threads.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

Online is never an issue. It's my local supply that I am missing. I don't like waiting if I don't have to and I guess I am just spoiled, or was with having so many hobby and hardware stores in my general vicinity that carried it before. All the displays are still up, they are just empty. Really odd.