Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How To: Make your own links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

funny you mention oversize, looking at the comparison pics by mud puppy, the outer diameter of the sleeve is the same as the axial link. But, like you said, it may not be scale to your rig. Just food for thought.
jhedsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

This is what is great about DIY hobbies. Each person will have their own ideas of what is important and fitting based off of their experience. I agree my methods are not the "best or strongest" for all, but it fits my bill. Like all the work out there and always welcome debate and brainstorming. Hope not to piss anyone off!
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
This is what is great about DIY hobbies. Each person will have their own ideas of what is important and fitting based off of their experience. I agree my methods are not the "best or strongest" for all, but it fits my bill. Like all the work out there and always welcome debate and brainstorming. Hope not to piss anyone off!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

This is 4mm all thread and 1/4" steel brake line with Traxxas revo rod ends tra5347 I think.
I feel they are the perfect size for looks and strength... And SOooo easy to make.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322085929.742331.jpg
Views: 4795
Size:  84.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322085959.766418.jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  108.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322086001.209865.jpg
Views: 4752
Size:  47.4 KB

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

i still havent had time to get rod, but i do have the die set now. Waiting on my order from the LHS to come in before i go get revo ends.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

i've made mine with 3/16 stainless and tapped to 10/24 and it's worked well, but you will blow through dies if you get the cheap ones. get a good quality die if you plan on doing it that way or you will hate your life. i wanted new uppers for my xr10 and while threading the 2nd end on the 2nd link, my die broke and it was brand new. so i just returned it and got some all thread to use until i can get some lunsford titanium links.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #27

Default all thread

Use the all thread that is what everyone uses! buy, bend, screw in all done. Easy
sdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

used the same method here but used 1/4 inch stainless rod nice a slippy on the rocks made the front steering links with the same with a slight bend so it clears the diff at full lock to lock

scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdogg View Post
Use the all thread that is what everyone uses! buy, bend, screw in all done. Easy
easy yes... thats what i did. get some power to the driveline, those bend like spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_ax View Post
used the same method here but used 1/4 inch stainless rod nice a slippy on the rocks made the front steering links with the same with a slight bend so it clears the diff at full lock to lock

Beautiful. thats exactly what im looking to do. 1/4 inch eh? can you still use the 10/24 tap on that stuff?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioCrawler View Post
Beautiful. thats exactly what im looking to do. 1/4 inch eh? can you still use the 10/24 tap on that stuff?
Same as on my truck, looks like vanquish stuff ;)

8-32 allthread runs through the 1/4" stainless steel. So you an 8-32 tap for the rod ends.
Bending this stuff can be a b*tch if you bend it the wrong way lol
Old 11-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

revo rod ends taped out the 10/24, 1/4 brake line and 10/24 all thread beeeeefy strong and will last long.
86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

sorry but i used allthread and its junk. for any serious power like a 2s or 3s lipo brushless crawler, allthread will bend in half faster then you can see. if your running something basic, its the best way to beat plastic. but i want the rod ends to break before my links...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

My truck links are built the same as scorpion_ax using stainless steel.
This is what I've been talking about.

Can you show me a pic of your broken links so I can understand what you mean about crap all thread? Like is it snapping between the rod ends and the sleeve?

Last edited by jhedsy; 11-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedsy View Post
My truck links are built the same as scorpion_ax using stainless steel.
This is what I've been talking about.

Can you show me a pic of your broken links so I can understand what you mean about crap all thread? Like is it snapping between the rod ends and the sleeve?
no right in the middle. its bend and i bent it back to finish the trail ride. its all thread with i believe revo ends. dont remember as i made it a while back. they are strong, it took a tumble to bend it, but thats not strong enough for me.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #35
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
no right in the middle. its bend and i bent it back to finish the trail ride. its all thread with i believe revo ends. dont remember as i made it a while back. they are strong, it took a tumble to bend it, but thats not strong enough for me.
What is that sleeve material?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
What is that sleeve material?
that sir is stainless brake line IIRC. dont remember the size, but it was a nice fit over the allthread.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:

That looks awful thin on the wall thickness to be a lower link sleeve.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have never seen brake line that thin. Looks like the thin wall aluminum tube I have seen at the hardware store.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

What size all thread are you using to have it buckle like that? You must have tiny threaded rod inside the brakeline.. I use 4mm all thread inside regular old 1/4 brakeline and it's really strong.. The 4mm just fits inside, no amount of slop to allow the brakeline to get squashed like that .. Once together with rod ends mine acts like one solid piece of steel.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

i dont remember. ive long since tossed the links, so i couldnt even go back and tell ya. i was going to order everything from VP, but when my upper links for my wraith came to $75 shipped, i said i think ill try making my own. it was brake line i got from napa. again dont remember any sizes, sorry.