Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Indoor Crawler Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Default Indoor Crawler Course

I am searching for ideas for affordable courses for indoor crawling this winter. I've printed and reference the one from Axial's website, but am curious to see what creative ideas are out there.
dirtmonkey263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I got a losi micro, I started a foarm moab style course on 2 4x8 sheets of osb on tables I built. By the time I laid out a section built different layers I had a mess of white foam all over and I still have to cover it.

Paper mache, not strong enough for me, I want hard.

Plaster o paris and cheese cloth. Hard at first after you work it it turns to crap

Groute, I wanna try this I seen someone build aquarium displays and then spray it with water and modge podge to seal it up.

Fiberglass this is the ideal way Id wanna do it, but the chemicals eat the foam and the resin is kinda pricey.

So im gonna finish the 1 table I have with foam and blend it in to the other table, and just get some flag stone lay down a layer of dirt or fish tank river rock small pebbles with sand and do a sort of desert landscape, but build it up towards the back becase I just cant carve and more foam.

But ya If I had a 1/10 rig id think you would need a fairly decent sized area to toss some rocks or just get some fire wood or some decent sized diameter logs..

Would be cool if someone had a big vacuu forming machine say 4 x 4 or bigger, stacked a bunch of flag stone on it and formed a big piece

Last edited by Mav68erick; 11-25-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Mav68erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

That is sick. I have Axial SCX10, so I do need a pretty large area. Pricing is kind of tough when on a budget. Thanks for the info and the pictures look incredible!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ill have to remember to get some pics of my indoor course. Have an entire room in the house for it. Just threw in some rocks and chopped up firewood, random piece of pipe and a neat little bridge i made out of metal scrap.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #5

Default just start stacking

Just use what you can find I have a steep hill climb going up to the top of my entertainment center where I put a mini rock garden witch has a grate going down the other side to my table where I work on it. use you imagineation change it around when you get bored.
ADDICTED CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #6

I used about a dozen 50-75lb rocks found locally . I would rearrang them every day. just stacked them in a 6x6ft area. Didn't take up space, not time consuming, cheap, gave me variety and a workout!
azyoytota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have about 5 tons of rock in my garage..
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Get Line X to spray it, it will last forever but im bias'd
ax10newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I appreciate you replies and it sounds like you have some wicked indoor courses. I am needing something that I can lower from the ceiling in my garage, so it has to be light. I used this bed liner from O'Reiley's that is eating my foam and will not set up. I need to find some Line-X for sure!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Can a person purchase Line-X for themselves to use?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

just do it like they do custom subwoofer enclosures ...

felt from the fabric store , fiberglass resin , ans ya can do your framework out of 1/2" strips of wood , cardboard , anything ....

make up your framework 1st , cover it in plastic , staple the felt where ya want it , then spread your resin ,....
for texture before it hardens , toss on some sand , crushed lava rock, ect , wait till it dries , tip it over to dump off the excess , .....
gently pry loose/cut the staples , and you are golden
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #12

Flippin' sweet idea. Sounds cheap enough too!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #13

This was about 10 hours work and $250+. The foam didn't set up, so I had to scrape it all off and do over. Then the bed liner ate the foam and didn't cure completely. Dang!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i used the stone texture spray paint on my great stuff AFTER i took a razor knife and cut all the shiny parts off to make the foam look more rock like.... works great once in awile i throw a touch up coat on
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote