Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Any one ever bought all your brazing tools from Home Depot or Lowes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Any one ever bought all your brazing tools from Home Depot or Lowes?

Hey guys, im finally getting to the point where i want to braze. I have a tube frame that i want to modify and i figured it would be a great start for a newbie like me. Ive been studying the videos on here and you tube and it looks pretty simple really. Well, i was strolling through Home Depot and i think i saw everything i need to braze. The mapp torch, the braze solder and flux. But, i know i should get the brazing solder and flux from a welding supply store, but...there are no supply stores near me, so...my solution? Use what Home Depot (or Lowes) has. I saw they had some materials that i could use to make brackets and such. So, my question is - Can i use the brazing tools that Home Depot or Lowes sell? I mean is there anything really wrong with what they sell? Maybe the wrong kind of flux and solder for what i want to do? I really want to do this project this weekend. I also need to find some brake line, figured i could go to the auto parts store and buy it by the foot. Thanks guys!
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I use a Bernzomatic TS6000 torch I got from Lowes.

Does good for all the brazing I do.

Last edited by justinart24; 05-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thats good to know. What about the brazing solder and flux? Is that ok to use also? (as long as i get the right stuff to braze automotive brake line.)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I bought my Lincoln Oxy-Acetelyne outfit at Home Depot. But for the Harris flux and silver soldier, any Airgas store will work. They have a starter set that is good to start. Once you are comfortable with it and if you need more, there are a few places online that have good prices.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yea, there is an Airgas supply store here in town, but its across town. I might take a look at the starter kit they have. I dont want to have all the big equipment since i have an apartment, so just the hand held Mapp gas torch would be good for me. Hopefully they are open on Saturdays.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Went to my Airgas the other day to exchange a bottle and wow they dont have anything anymore. They didnt have more than 3 spools of mig wire, all huge by the way, and generally had nothing. Had to order what I needed online...My local Airgas=fail!

And gas prices went way up...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hmm.....well. maybe i should just go to Home Depot and try to find a suitable substitute for what i need.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i bought my torch at my local home depot, i bought my safety-silv 45, and stay-silv flux from homedepot.com, and i boiught my tube bender from harborfreight.com
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yea it looks like i`ll have to order my flux and solder from homedepot.com....im on a quest to find this stuff, without driving all around town for it.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ebay usually has the kits with the saftysilv and flux for reasonable prices also.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Suck it up!

I picked up a roll of SS45 the other day from my local air conditining/heating parts store. Cost me $27, which is about $20 less than the local welding shop.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

I bought my Mapp gas torch at the orange box and i use the 1/8 flux coated rods in a tube from Lowes.They are only $8 and one tube is enough to do two frames.As far as flat metal for brackets and such,i go to my local recycling yard and get old washing machine lids.Its spring steel and easy to cut with tin snips.
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Do you have an Ace Hardware close by? I bought this solder and flux just out of curiosity for $16. The only drawback is the solder is a bit thin, but I've almost built a complete chassis from one kit and I actually like the flux better than the Harris stuff. It's a good way to see if you like silver soldering without spending too much to get started.

The Mapp torch in the second post is perfect by the way.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Also, you should take a look through this post.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You know, i never thought about Ace hardware! I might hit them up this weekend and started modifying a tube chassis i already had (makes for good practice i thought.). I did in fact buy everything i needed at HD, but i think i might find a better solder to use so i might hit Ace hardware and see what they have. The stuff i bought melts way to fast, although im thinking its just be inexperience doing that to me. I did in fact see the stuff that HD had on line, but i kind of want to get all my stuff locally. Just dont want to wait for it, i want to get my project up and running finally.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
...The stuff i bought melts way to fast, although im thinking its just be inexperience doing that to me.
Practice makes perfect. You want your joint at the correct temperature, just as you introduce the silver into it. That way as soon as the solder melts, the joint is ready to wick it in.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I bought a small oxy/mapp setup from Home Depot fpr $60, but when I got it home and turned on the oxygen it wouldnt light, the canister was aweful light, so I need to get back there and see if the new ones are heavier, or they just sold me a bum unit. I"ve got a good mapp torch like posted earlier, but I thought that wasnt good enough to braze with?
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #18

Theres alot of helpful info in this thread for a n00b like myself looking to get started on building a chassis. I got about 4 projects I am ready to step into and I'd love to learn to braze so I can build some nice rigs and fab up my own parts to keep the prices per rig down. Thanks everyone who's posted in here for helping out
CrewCabScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cutlas View Post
I bought a small oxy/mapp setup from Home Depot fpr $60, but when I got it home and turned on the oxygen it wouldnt light, the canister was aweful light, so I need to get back there and see if the new ones are heavier, or they just sold me a bum unit. I"ve got a good mapp torch like posted earlier, but I thought that wasnt good enough to braze with?
Mapp by itself is fine. Propane is the no no.

If possible id recommend exchanging the setup you bought for a mapp only torch. You'll waste tons of money on oxy cylinders with that setup
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I bought all my stuff from HD. The torch from the local store and the LE braze from HD.com. The oxy/mapp setup is the way to go imo. The smaller head with the oxy takes less time to heat up the part and keeps the heat concentrated in a smaller area.

Lincoln Electric bought Harris so it is the same stuff when you get it from HD.com Also the oxy tanks feel empty but they are not. Light the torch using the map then turn on the oxy and adjust the flame from there. Do the reverse when turning the tanks off though. You will use about 3-4 oxy tanks for every mapp tank.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote