Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: need some easy beginner brazing projects for practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default need some easy beginner brazing projects for practice

i got a bernzomatic oxy/ace torch for christmas and im looking for some suggestions on easy beginner projects.. might pick up some 3/16 solid rod tomorrow just to play with because its cheap.

thanks for any ideas.

i've already started building a solid rod chassis out of 1/4" and mig welding it together, but now that i have the torch i will finish it with 3/16".
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: need some easy beginner brazing projects for practice

How about a tire rack/cradle.

Chassie cradle to keep your crawler off the ground so the tires dont flat spot.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

thats an idea... using a piece of foam sucks!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would just start building what you need...While practice is good doing the real thing is probably the best practice you can get!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
RCC Addict

ya thats true..lol

im building a bumper for my honcho that i can practice on.. i just hate fawking up shit and having to toss it because im on a very tight budget because im still jobless.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

also looking for projects, for practice and because making stuff is fun, one of the things i made myself is a pullpal, if you want to keep it on the cheap you can do things out of brake line its about a buck a foot ish
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i picked up some 3/16" solid rod today so i will play with that tomorrow was in town most of the day today and didnt have time. i also looked for some brake line in hardware stores but they didnt have any...

ya a pullpal is a really good idea might have to whip one up.. i have my winch working now and if i build a roll bar i then have somewhere to hook the pullpal to.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Speaking from experience, you should go buy a few more bottles of the Oxygen, you will burn through one in about 10 minutes.Seriously. I had the same kit that you have when I first started brazing and it is a great way to learn without spending big $ on a full blow acetylene/oxy torch, but after adding up the costs of all of those empty red bottles at $9 per bottle, it really hit me at how those little torches actually cost to operate.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I found that around here solid rod is always cheaper than brake line. At all the auto parts stores they want like $10 for 3-4 feet of brake line vs. $1.50 for 3 feet of solid rod. Plus you dont have to grind off that green junk, way faster!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i was playing with it today doing some practicing and stuff.. need to spend some more time with it because its already getting easier. i wanna pick up some more brazing rod and at the same time i'll grab another bottle of oxygen just so i have one handy when i need it.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Speaking from experience, you should go buy a few more bottles of the Oxygen, you will burn through one in about 10 minutes.Seriously. I had the same kit that you have when I first started brazing and it is a great way to learn without spending big $ on a full blow acetylene/oxy torch, but after adding up the costs of all of those empty red bottles at $9 per bottle, it really hit me at how those little torches actually cost to operate.
i had got one of the small kits burnt through one oxy tank in ten minutes got annoyed returned the whole thing (regulators sucked anyways) and dropped some coin on oxy/acetylene and tanks not cheap but so worth it, mught better results
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

parents are heading to home depot (about a 1/2hour drive one way in another town) so im gonna go and see if i can maybe find some brazing stuff or tube.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

well cant find my wallet anywhere.. in my room, in the shop.... nowhere so i did some window shopping at home depot.. found some brazing rods and oxygen tanks. the oxygen tanks are $9.99 each and the brazing rods are 3-36inch sticks for $6.95 so next week hopefully i can go grab some..... if i can find my wallet..
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
well cant find my wallet anywhere.. in my room, in the shop.... nowhere so i did some window shopping at home depot.. found some brazing rods and oxygen tanks. the oxygen tanks are $9.99 each and the brazing rods are 3-36inch sticks for $6.95 so next week hopefully i can go grab some..... if i can find my wallet..
You have to be careful at the diameter of the brazing rod you get, this little torch won't melt anything much larger than 1/8th inch diameter. Silicon Bronze is probably the easiest rod to work with, it flows very well. I personally went to a welding supply company and got a few 3' pieces of 1/16th " diameter silicone bronze rod and a can of anti-borox #2 flux crystals. You heat the rod and dip it into the crystals, they stick to the rod and start to flow just before the rod melts.

Good luck and don't get discouraged too easily, it is really a fun way to build stuff once you get a feel for the way brazing works.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

haha ya its definitely fun.. found my wallet so now i can buy some shit.. haha... the brazing rod i found is 3/32" which looks to be the same size as what the torch kit comes with.. i made some rock sliders for my honcho and since i used 1/4" and 3/16" rod i MIG welded the 2 sizes together then i tacked the mounting plate to the cross pieces with the mig to hold them in place and finished them with the torch.

its fun once you get the hang of it.. i screwed up on a couple pieces of 3/16 so i said well i'll just use them to practice on instead of just tossing them in the garbage right away.. did a couple nice welds with it.. i was impressed...

i have the basic's of brazing down, now i just need to work on finding the right temp...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium View Post
i had got one of the small kits burnt through one oxy tank in ten minutes got annoyed returned the whole thing (regulators sucked anyways) and dropped some coin on oxy/acetylene and tanks not cheap but so worth it, mught better results
I do heating and cooling for a living and have a "kangaroo kit" oxy/acetylene. It's the only way to go for thick steel.
Tyler C J is offline   Reply With Quote

need some easy beginner brazing projects for practice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner Spoon1337 Axial SCX-10 5 11-26-2010 09:19 PM
Want to practice my brazing? notez2beat Tools, and Procedures 2 01-13-2010 01:19 PM
something for a beginner xroryx Newbie General 9 06-05-2008 09:40 AM
beginner crawler DrveJeepDrnkBeer Newbie General 25 11-26-2006 06:22 PM