Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: I want to replicate Axial's hex driver set with EDS, but have questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I want to replicate Axial's hex driver set with EDS, but have questions

I went to Axial's website and looked at their hex driver set.

Metric Hex Driver Set

Included are:

AX20015 1.5MM HEX DRIVER
AX20016 2.0MM HEX DRIVER
AX20018 2.5MM BALL END HEX DRIVER
AX20020 3.0MM BALL END HEX DRIVER
AX20021 2.0MM BALL END HEX DRIVER

Why are the 2.5MM, 3.0MM, and 2.0MM ball ended?

Should I copy the list exactly as Axial's set, regular hex and ball end?

Or, should I just buy the non-ball ended hexes like this set?

EDS RACING PRODUCTS ONLINE STORE - RC TOOLS AND ACCESSORIES - EDS Allen Wrench Set - Metric -4 pcs. - (Powered by CubeCart)

I'm leaning towards copying the Axial set exactly as listed because I own quite a few of their kits, but would like some input from members before I place an order at EDS.

Thanks in advance.
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: I want to replicate Axial's hex driver set with EDS, but have questions

it maybe the the smaller hex's would not be too strong if ball ended. snap one of those off in a screw head and it could be real hassle to sort out
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I want to replicate Axial's hex driver set with EDS, but have questions

the nice thing about the ball ends is you dont have to be directly straight putting the tool into the hex screw you can have the tool angled some and still be effective with out stripping it out
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It would be nice to have both ball and standard, but I have never needed a 3mm that I can remember. But I have used standard sizes. I would get a set of metric and standard before I doubled up on metric.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Only time I can remember using the 3mm is on 1/5, 1/8, & my summit trans.

I'd get these drivers

1.5mm
2.0mm
2.5mm
2.0mm ball end
2.5mm ball end
.050"

Extra 1.5mm & .050 tips

If you can afford it, just get the 30 piece set.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

In my tool box I have both balled end and straight. if any torqueing needs to be done I use the straight and if on an angle use the balled end. I have learned my leason on breaking the balled ends off in a screw.
my .02 worth
Joe&Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I like these. If I had a 3.0mm it would end up at work as it is one of my most used tools. The rest would stay at home for R/Cs
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Why are "RC" tools so expennsive? Cant you just buys the sizes you need at the hardware store?
D-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ride View Post
Why are "RC" tools so expennsive? Cant you just buys the sizes you need at the hardware store?
Because they have brand name on them such as the Axial's and fancy handles. If you don't mind no name on it you can buy them at any hardware or tool store for a set at a price you pay for one.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe&Jeep View Post
Because they have brand name on them such as the Axial's and fancy handles. If you don't mind no name on it you can buy them at any hardware or tool store for a set at a price you pay for one.
Gotcha, fancy Handles and all are nice, but if i can get a recision kit for 6 bucks, thats leaves me alot more money towards mods..LOL
D-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Gotcha, fancy Handles and all are nice, but if i can get a recision kit for 6 bucks, thats leaves me alot more money towards mods..LOL
Exactly
Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ball ends are basically useless they tend to strip screws more with limited engagement ans they break more.

If you can't get to a screw take sometime and remove a few items to do it right.

I'd recommend:
1.5mm
2.0mm
2.5mm
1/16" (for pinions)
3/32" (for VP hub screws if you use those)
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I can't stand ball ends, they "usually" strip. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for except for the Associated 1/4" hex set....complete wast of money (worn out after building my SC104x4).
When the need for force I use straight & then switch to my mini cordless.
Left_Rear_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You get what you pay for and once you use a good RC tool set compared to hardware store junk you'll realize what the deal is. RC tools are usually harder. Hardware store stuff is meant for much larger bolts, and softer metal is used. That softer metal in the small sizes wears quite fast. Most of the time the handles are too big and the shanks are too long for most RC needs anyway.

So I have found, just my 2 pennies...
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
dkf
Rock Crawler

R/C Tools are not expensive. get into some special industrial tools, you'll think R/C tools are a steel. I have the Duratrax drivers and like them. The tips are HSS and replaceable. Plus a lot of hobby shops stock the drivers and replacement tips.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
recision?

Go ahead & buy your hardware store junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Ball ends are basically useless they tend to strip screws more with limited engagement ans they break more.
That's because you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Rear_Nut View Post
I can't stand ball ends, they "usually" strip.
Yup, you too.

I have never broken a ball end, never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdriver View Post
You get what you pay for and once you use a good RC tool set compared to hardware store junk you'll realize what the deal is. RC tools are usually harder....
Yup.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
R/C Tools are not expensive. get into some special industrial tools, you'll think R/C tools are a steel. I have the Duratrax drivers and like them. The tips are HSS and replaceable. Plus a lot of hobby shops stock the drivers and replacement tips.
I work on / modify a lot of 1:1's and own a lot of quality tools ( SNAP-ON, MATCO ) the statement "you get what you pay for" is true 98% of the time. they cost more but when you use them alot you can tell the difference. so at the cost of quality R/C tools thats nothing compared to a SNAP-ON ratchet i spent $150.00 on.

I am ok with spending a little more money on the quality
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Mcmaster sells "ball point hex blades" cost $.88 to $1.06 for the sizes we use. I have just taken those and drilled a hole in the center of a 3/8 steel rod and brazed it together to make a T handle driver. Come in different lengths ad I have used mine for the last 7 years only on my second set.

if you strip the ball end, cut it off and now you have a straight driver. Cheap enough to buy a few and really strong
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #19

I was wondering if anyone knows of a set of wrench's and nut driver's that have a full size handle like a regular screwdriver. The Intery set I have now is good but after an hour of turning I'm about done.
cubkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Ball ends are basically useless, they tend to strip screws more with limited engagement and they break more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Rear_Nut View Post
I can't stand ball ends, they "usually" strip.
Yes to both, IF you are using ball end driver to "break free" or "torque" fasteners. Ball ends are more for driving fasteners in or out.

I use Bondhaus sets all the time for work/RC, they work great. But IF you read their directions, they state to NOT use the ball end for anything but driving the fasteners.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

I want to replicate Axial's hex driver set with EDS, but have questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommendation on power driver hex tip set? iamsuperbleeder Tools, and Procedures 10 10-11-2011 07:39 AM
LokenRacing - Associated Factory Team Hex Driver Set y2kgtp Tools and supplies 0 02-09-2010 01:14 PM
Rate your tools!!! looking for a new hex driver set peej410 Tools, and Procedures 30 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Hex driver set suggestions Slowpony Chit Chat 10 01-15-2005 08:28 PM