Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: why does a lot of people I know sidjest a 40watt iron?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default why does a lot of people I know sidjest a 40watt iron?

at the moment I have an 80watt pencil iron, and I've been told its to powerful, why am I pointed towards 40watt? is it easier, safer for electrics? what's the deal? I thought the higher the wattage the better... any help? and any good pencil irons I should think about?
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: why does a lot of people I know sidjest a 40watt iron?

I have no idea why people would suggest a lower heat iron. My guess would be that for smaller more precise work it may be desirable to have less heat but for general RC stuff I dont see a problem with an 80 watt iron.

If you are looking to upgrade check out the Hakko stuff, I got one a while ago and it is really great!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

the hakko iron is bad ass, my bro in laws has one.
im thinking about getting this hakko knock off. cant beat it for the price
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range (USA Warehouse)
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmondz View Post
the hakko iron is bad ass, my bro in laws has one.
im thinking about getting this hakko knock off. cant beat it for the price
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range (USA Warehouse)
That's my kinda price lol. Has anyone used this one before?
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i will once they get back in stock. there gonna email me when there in
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm curious to know how well that one works too, I put myself on the email list.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I have no idea why people would suggest a lower heat iron. My guess would be that for smaller more precise work it may be desirable to have less heat but for general RC stuff I dont see a problem with an 80 watt iron.

If you are looking to upgrade check out the Hakko stuff, I got one a while ago and it is really great!
you actauly want a hotter iron for the "smaller more precise work" a lower heat iron will pass way to much heat into other components as you wait for it to get hot enough to let the solder flow.

40w irons are recomended for people soldering plugs and larger joints since it does make it a bit easier from what i've heard, I use a cheapo hobbico 60w iron for everything from battery connectors to soldering on PCB's I just ground the tip to a point, I love this iron. (been using it 3 years now)

$7.99 at tower hobbies

i've been keeping an eye on that hobbyking Iron myself, i'll probably snag one when its in stock too.

Last edited by fred0000; 01-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

I've had this one for years, I got it for $9.99. Best Iron I have used ever and I have used alot of high dollar ones my friends have.

Deprecated Browser Error
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
you actauly want a hotter iron for the "smaller more precise work" a lower heat iron will pass way to much heat into other components as you wait for it to get hot enough to let the solder flow.

40w irons are recomended for people soldering plugs and larger joints since it does make it a bit easier from what i've heard, I use a cheapo hobbico 60w iron for everything from battery connectors to soldering on PCB's I just ground the tip to a point, I love this iron.

i've been keeping an eye on that hobbyking Iron myself, i'll probably snag one when its in stock too.
Yea I am no expert but I figure that for really small joints there could be such a thing as too much heat.

I can say that i run me Hakko at 75% or higher all the time. The thing people dont realize about good irons vs cheap irons is that I can solder a fat 4g wire and my Hakko doesnt cool down one bit. With my old 25w that I picked up at Home Depot I could hardly solder a 10g wire without the temp of the tip dropping so bad that I would have to wait a couple minutes to do the next joint.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
sim
Quarry Creeper

80w should be good, but 60 is really more than you need. 40w can do most RC and household jobs, but you need a good one with a ceramic heating element.

The most important thing is the tip.

A bigger tip can collect more heat before you apply it to the components and has a bigger contact area so is more suitable for bigger jobs, like soldering bit fat wires to motor tabs, corally plugs, dean plugs, etc. A pencil tip is frustrating to use for most RC jobs.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i use dad's soldering iron which is a Weller 100/140watt, its a tad bit overkill for any RC job but it works well.

i would imagine that a 60watt would be good for RC jobs..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I use a Weller 40w from Home Depot, but yes on large gauge wire it's a little slow. That's not a problem for me though because I don't run anything larger than 16awg.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i have a $5 pencil tip that i got off ebay,basic as they come lol. ive had it about 2 years and works great,actually just re-soldered my ground wire for the main power switch earlier tonight.
sick86burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Its really not all about Wattage, although in Most cases the more the better.
It really depends more on what type of work you will be doing. If you plan on removing or re-soldering existing solder you will benefit from a "lead-free" station. Most boards and all electronics made in or imported to the USA for the past 10 years use Lead Free solder. The reason its different is because it requires more heat to flow.
Sure you can use 60/40 solder to tin your wires, but you will need to flow the pad you are fixing it to and that will most likely be lead free. The faster your tip can catch up or "recover" the better. if you have to hold the tip too long you risk wetting other components nearby. This has more to do with the tip and pencil than the actual wattage of the station itself. Pencils that use ceramic elements are better and with the right station will work for all your needs.

I found a digital station that is AMAZING and its cheaper than most that offer half of its features. It heats to temp in less than 20sec. Its infinitely adjustable and allows three presets and auto temp features.
I use it on 4Ga stranded Power wire for car audio applications, as well as tiny camera boards with .5mm spacing!
A good station is key and something you will have forever. Spend the cash here. Good solder joints make the modeler for sure!

check it out.
Solder Station for lead free solder

b

Last edited by BELADOG; 02-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
Looks nice.....what about this for $20 less??....... Soldering Station-BK3000LF

Other than the handle type, a quick look seems to say it's relatively comparable.
Either way, nice station you linked! Only 1 left in stock & I need 3 (me, my son & step father) as BD's are coming up fast.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
...what about this for $20 less??.......

I am 90% sure it is the same station. The element is onepiece with the tip which requires a different handle but other than that all the features are the same.

Shipping kills the deal when it comes time to order replacements so order them the same time you get the station.

I would call them and ask if the handle/tip from the 2050+ will work with that unit. Almost positive it will then you have a killer handle as well.

Honestly, everyone that has seen/used my station LOVES it and, had they not all purchased the crappy one from Frys when they were on sale, would have got one of these.
I have had all the nice professional stations in the past and cannot believe how feature rich and well this station works. For the price it cannot be beat!

I'll vouch for it too. If any of you get this 2050+ and are not completely
stoked, Ill buy it from you!
No joke!!!

I got an email response from CSI and they said they will be restocking but its six to eight weeks out :((
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote

why does a lot of people I know sidjest a 40watt iron? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Iron Maiden EeePee Chit Chat 3 08-14-2010 04:39 PM
5 iron slowdown1 Tires and Wheels 3 02-21-2009 02:23 PM