Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Air Compressor Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
FLB
Rock Crawler

Default Air Compressor Question.

I just set up a small (30" long x 20" deep) bench top sand blasting cabinet in my shop-I will be doing mostly small parts for hobby and restoration work. I will probably be using it once every 2 weeks or so nothing more. I already have a small compressor in my garage for air tools and tires but it is a pancake tank 1.5HP job and will be too small to do the trick. My question to the knowledge base out there-is there a 110V compressor out there I can use for this type of sandblasting or do I need to bite the bullet and put another 220 line in to get a higher HP/flow unit? Again, I will not be using it for anything else and do not need the best rig out there, just something that will work.

Any info appreciated.
FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Air Compressor Question.

I have a 33 gallon craftsman that runs on 120V and can be dialed up to 150psi. It is cost effective and has been running strong for over 4 years.

I have not done sand blasting but I imagine this should do the trick...
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
33 gallon craftsman [/URL] that runs on 120V and can be dialed up to 150psi.
When it comes to sandblasting you need cfm and volume, not pressure per say.

FLB: what kind of sand blasting are you doing? Do you have the cabinet or gun picked out? That will help recommendations to meet the needs.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
When it comes to sandblasting you need cfm and volume, not pressure per say.

FLB: what kind of sand blasting are you doing? Do you have the cabinet or gun picked out? That will help recommendations to meet the needs.
Thanks
Yes-I get the whole CFM over pressure thing.
I have the Northern Tool bench top unit:
ALC Top-Open Benchtop Abrasive Blaster — 30in., Model# 41390 | Abrasive Blasting Cabinets | Northern Tool + Equipment

The gun has a 1/4" nozzle and recommended CFM is 7-15. I spoke to the tech folks there-they do not recommend going over 80PSI.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You can find compressors that run 110vac that can do 8-10 CFM @100PSI. You may have to blast in bursts, let the compressor catch up, then blast, etc.
Not a lot of compressors list CFM at lower pressures, but some do.

You're looking for ~3HP and up....like this.... 3.2 Running HP 60 Gal. Compressor-VT6314 at The Home Depot

I would look at Harbor Freight as well as Graingers.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Defy Gravity

with compressors, you really do get what you pay for. i've completely destroyed cheaper models than what i have now. had the best luck with my current eagle (Wood Industries, Inc. - Air Compressor Product Page), second to that being emglo made compressors. the smaller pancake compressors are just not up to the task of heavy work...blowing off the rc or running a nailer is about the only thing i truly trust them with. also have to look at the duty cycle, the burp blowing method it how most of mine have blown up. also want a pump you as the end user can change the oil in....oiless doesn't last long for me.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Hey FLB,

Spec on the CFM for that craftsman if you are interested.

SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 6.3
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.1
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
Hey FLB,

Spec on the CFM for that craftsman if you are interested.

SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 6.3
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.1
Exactly, not enough to use on his cabinet. Not saying anything bad about what you have, it just isn't going to be a sandblasting champ.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I am looking for one too. I was looking at the Craftsman but I also saw the Husky one. Anyone use the husky one?

Husky 30-Gallon Portable Electric Air Compressor
2hp

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100063473&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100063473&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100063473&ci_gpa=pla

Craftsman 33 Gallon Vertical Portable Air Compressor
1.6hp

Craftsman
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Exactly, not enough to use on his cabinet. Not saying anything bad about what you have, it just isn't going to be a sandblasting champ.
The closer I can get to 7CFM @ 80psi the better. I have a call into my electrician to get a quote on a new line-that will prob guide my decision.
After reading and listening to all the good responses, an oil-less machine is off my list. Prob need at least a 60gal tank and should try to get as close to 3HP as possible with 110/120V unit.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I run a 45gal 18cfm@90psi dialed to135psi. It just keeps up when I'm blasting with a very basic gun.
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #12

no question that a 220 unit is best, but you can get by with a smaller one quite nicely. one good trick is to add a foot pedal for the air. I think i got mine at northern tools, it saves a lot of air. i have a benchtop unit about the same size as yours and i use a 25 gallon 175 psi sears air compresser with no problem. I added a interior light and installed a small shop vac to pull the dust out. its a great set up for small stuff. oh yeah use the smallest ceramic nozzle you can find, that also makes a big difference.

Last edited by Ken C; 02-28-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: addition
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB View Post
The closer I can get to 7CFM @ 80psi the better. I have a call into my electrician to get a quote on a new line-that will prob guide my decision.
After reading and listening to all the good responses, an oil-less machine is off my list. Prob need at least a 60gal tank and should try to get as close to 3HP as possible with 110/120V unit.
I would likely prefer a smaller tank. If it's several people using air at once, or you're doing a lot of work all the time, the larger tank is nice.
But from what it sounds like, a 60 gallon tank is a bit overkill. Remember, if you turn it off when not in use, it will leak down over time, thus you have to wait for the full tank to come up to pressure when you want to use it.
The smaller the tank, the faster that happens.

So, a 20-30 gallon tank fills quickly, and close to or over 3HP will get you the CFM range you need.
It takes power to run the pump, a low HP motor can't run a big pump, or, it runs it slow.
Look at the unit dimensions and see where you could fit a 60 gallon tank.

Also, some better pumps have dual voltage rated motors. Short term, run it at 110vac, then later you can swap it over to 208/220 1ph to lower your electric costs (most utility meters are amp based.)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Defy Gravity

60 gallon standup tanks aren't that bad on space. mine's about 2 feet diameter and as tall as i am, so 5'8" total. much better foot print than my little 30 gallon portable. running off 240 single phase, it can fill the tank in 10 minutes, and that's with 2 lines coming off of it, one right off the petcock and another permanent line running to my work area. with a ball valve right off the tank, it will hold air while off for a month. having that main ball valve on the tank is very nice. also fitted the drain with a ball valve, and a 1/4 npt male fitting to hook up a hose and run the moisture outside. most compressors come with a crap drain valve, and that's where mine would lose are the most from.

i use mine a bit differently than most, use it for blowing off farm machinery and running many air tools. with mine i can have a blow wand over the saw and run tools at my workbench with no issues. i've ran 2 air wands off the thing as well. a lot better to over buy than to under buy imo, having that air supply is vital at least for me. once you use air tools frequently, its hard to go back to electrics. my 30 gallon portable sanborn 1 horse will not keep up with air tools at all, not enough volume buffer in the tank, motor is always running. does ok with tire inflation, but beyond that i'd rather use the eagle or one of the gas powered ones.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have this exact compressor and it struggles to feed this blast cabinet from horrible freight:

I run aluminum oxide ( recommended) in it at 70 P.S.I. Besides the never ending dust leaks and general crap grade construction of the cabinet, the compressor can not keep up with constant running, I have to stop every ten minutes and let the compressor re-fill the tank. The other issue with the constant compressor running is that the condensation gets so bad I have to stop and frequently empty the water separator. I'm not trying to discourage you, it's still nice to have a small blast cabinet but you really need to have it in an area that isn't too sensitive to dust, even if you run a shop vac into the cabinet they still puke a fine gritty dust EVERYWHERE.

Last edited by BigSki; 02-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8d463a_300.jpg

I have this exact compressor and it struggles to feed this blast cabinet from horrible freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_11310.jpg

I run aluminum oxide ( recommended) in it at 70 P.S.I. Besides the never ending dust leaks and general crap grade construction of the cabinet, the compressor can not keep up with constant running, I have to stop every ten minutes and let the compressor re-fill the tank. The other issue with the constant compressor running is that the condensation gets so bad I have to stop and frequently empty the water separator. I'm not trying to discourage you, it's still nice to have a small blast cabinet but you really need to have it in an area that isn't too sensitive to dust, even if you run a shop vac into the cabinet they still puke a fine gritty dust EVERYWHERE.
I plan on running aluminum oxide as well. I have a dedicated shop that is far away from anything I worry about getting dusty. I am also hoping since my cabinet is plastic that there is less of a dust issue.

I wound up biting the bullet and will be running a dedicated line. After looking at various tank and HP considerations-and reading reviews of various brands, I got this Puma unit from Northern Tool.
Puma Belt-Drive Stationary Vertical Air Compressor — 60-Gallon Vertical, 3 HP, 12 CFM, Model# PK6060V | Single Stage Electric Air Compressors | Northern Tool + Equipment

The cabinet is supposed to work fine with 8CFM @80 PSi-so this should do the trick. I will prob not be running anything else at the same time either. It's also a twin cylinder job so I am going to assume it will be more efficient and quieter than a single. Now I have to go make some room for this puppy!

Thanks for all the input guys!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Go check craigs list, You might be able to get an older one that is way better than what your looking for, and for alot cheaper.. Unless your set on a new setup. just an idea
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
Go check craigs list, You might be able to get an older one that is way better than what your looking for, and for alot cheaper.. Unless your set on a new setup. just an idea
Thanks man-I checked CL and the local want ads-no luck-a lot that were either smaller or way bigger than what I needed. Per my previous post-I made a purchase.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB View Post
I just set up a small (30" long x 20" deep) bench top sand blasting cabinet in my shop-I will be doing mostly small parts for hobby and restoration work. I will probably be using it once every 2 weeks or so nothing more. I already have a small compressor in my garage for air tools and tires but it is a pancake tank 1.5HP job and will be too small to do the trick. My question to the knowledge base out there-is there a 110V compressor out there I can use for this type of sandblasting or do I need to bite the bullet and put another 220 line in to get a higher HP/flow unit? Again, I will not be using it for anything else and do not need the best rig out there, just something that will work.

Any info appreciated.
you could just rig up a bigger tank or tanks to the little guy.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

mine is a 60 gallon stand up whith a 7hp motor running of 110v ,it dose a good jod found it at lowels for a very good price
lewlew is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Compressor Question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air compressor owners - Questions for you! FDAapproved Tools, and Procedures 31 05-19-2010 02:23 PM
air compressor for airbrush brandontodd33 Paint and Body 2 06-02-2009 12:21 PM
Great Air Compressor for Hobby Use Shaun Tools, and Procedures 10 03-20-2009 09:37 PM
Need a special air compressor monstertruck Paint and Body 13 08-16-2008 02:22 AM
What air compressor? robvbro81 Paint and Body 20 09-28-2007 02:24 PM