Notices

Thread: Machinists Corner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #301
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Machinists Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've never learned anything by just buying what I needed, other than how convenient it is to do such a thing.
I agree with doing it yourself. I checked out that link and it's pretty interesting...going into my Evernote I'm just saying $40 really isn't that much if you had to get your machine going quickly versus the learning experience.

Quote:
I said "at least three".
Now you're just getting technical
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #302
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I'm just saying $40 really isn't that much if you had to get your machine going quickly versus the learning experience.
I agree, but its still usable so I'm going to use it. Just have to be careful with the additional backlash.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #303
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The PITA part is that I'm going to have to tear the table/screw assembly down at least three times. Once to get the measurements of the current nut, again after roughing out the blank, then again to square up the newly formed nut, then, if everything goes according to plan, once more to install the new nut.
Bitch, bitch, bitch....that's all you've ever done since the dog ate the baby is bitch, bitch, bitch......

Sorry you had an issue, but you now have a direction to make your rig better than ever.

For cheap!!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #304
Rock Stacker

thats a neat method, and ive honestly never seen or considered that before. Ive done spring/slotted/tapered anti backlash nuts before, from delrin, and experienced excellent life out of them. Its genuinely amazing how little delrin wears.
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #305
RCC Addict

Have you thought of filing down one of the edges on the nut to maybe increase clamping force a little bit? Personally I like self adjusting anti-backlash nuts since they don't pinch the screw un-evenly and are "self adjusting" for changes in screw pitch and/or diameter. handy things but don't fit all applications.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #306
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Have you thought of filing down one of the edges on the nut to maybe increase clamping force a little bit? Personally I like self adjusting anti-backlash nuts since they don't pinch the screw un-evenly and are "self adjusting" for changes in screw pitch and/or diameter. handy things but don't fit all applications.
Briefly. It's not the lack of adjustment that concerns me, its the condition of the threads. Kinda sucky 'cause its never worked as nice and as smooth as it does now.

Got started on the new nut assembly. The only thing I had to make a hole that big was a cheap ass wobbly Chinese paddle bit of the 7/8" variety. It actually made a very clean, very straight hole. It came out the other end just a couple of thousands off center, and since things are going to get melty, its not even an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the acetal blank and the aluminum "bridge" that will hold it firmly in place.

Once I get the threads in and the blank squared back up, I'll mill a channel on three sides so that the bridge will lock it in. It'll look like this...

When it comes time to align and locate the holes for the bolts, I think I'm going to reassemble everything and position the bridge where it should sit and mark them from underneath. It seems like the best way to do it without running the risk of having it out of whack and binding the screw up when the table is run to its ends.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #307
Yashua

You know Chris, it probally is'nt a lot, but I would take some measurments on the lead screw in differant places along it's length at the root and crown of the thread and see if you have any wear there also.
Those lead screws are available in stock form and can be made to fit most machines. Is it a square thread or an Acme thread?
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #308
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
You know Chris, it probally is'nt a lot, but I would take some measurments on the lead screw in differant places along it's length at the root and crown of the thread and see if you have any wear there also.
Those lead screws are available in stock form and can be made to fit most machines. Is it a square thread or an Acme thread?
The diameter of the screw is pretty consistant. I was guessing that it would be way worn in the middle, but it was just a tick or two smaller.

Acme thread.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #309
Suck it up!

Giggity. I have threads. Pics to come...
Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #310
Suck it up!

Last night I got the threads formed in the blank, then let it be and went to bed. It wasn't terribly hard to do, just a bit of patience and some heat and pressure.

This morning I left it all clamped down and backed the lead screw out. It wasn't particularly easy, in fact is was extremely tight, but it came out cleanly. Other than being dirty, the threads look perfect.

To chase the threads I used the Dremel on the first few threads to make them cut. They don't work terribly efficiently, it takes a lot of working back and forth, but progress is being made.

The block has been in the deep freeze for a couple of hours now, time to pull it out and work the threads some more.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #311
Yashua

Chris, try to undercut the ends of the threads your using to cut the threads, similar to the way a tap is slightly undercut so the actual cutting surface is sharp. You could probally use a cut off wheel in the dremel to do it.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #312
Suck it up!

Quote:
Chris, try to undercut the ends of the threads your using to cut the threads, similar to the way a tap is slightly undercut so the actual cutting surface is sharp. You could probally use a cut off wheel in the dremel to do it.
I've done that, I also tapered the backside just in case the full thread was lifting the surface of the block. To make it work twice as fast I did the same to the other side so it would scrape going either direction.

I worked the block on the screw again and it feeling better. I can almost spin it freely all the way on. Once it came back up to ambient temperature it was nearly perfect. Its back in the freezer for a couple of hours so I can give it another go. It would suck to go out in the garage this winter and have the block shrink enough to make it a beeotch to turn the screw. Right out of the freezer it is a very tight fit...you've got to force it to start and spin.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #313
Yashua

Yeah delrin is a awsome material. Where I worked there in Arkansas for 15 years, we used mucho delrin for everything, it has a self lubricating property to it similar to teflon.
I would'nt worry too much about it shrinking in your shop to much in the cold of winter.

Quote:
I've done that, I also tapered the backside just in case the full thread was lifting the surface of the block. To make it work twice as fast I did the same to the other side so it would scrape going either direction.

I worked the block on the screw again and it feeling better. I can almost spin it freely all the way on. Once it came back up to ambient temperature it was nearly perfect. Its back in the freezer for a couple of hours so I can give it another go. It would suck to go out in the garage this winter and have the block shrink enough to make it a beeotch to turn the screw. Right out of the freezer it is a very tight fit...you've got to force it to start and spin.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #314
Suck it up!

Quote:
I would'nt worry too much about it shrinking in your shop to much in the cold of winter.
30 minutes in the freezer is enough to shrink it so that it fits tight again. Whether or not it'll shrink enough in my non-climate controlled garage is a mystery, but I'll do my best to avoid that from happening.

Made another pass on the threads. Its spinning very nice now. I can flick spin it all the way through. I'll freeze/scrape it one more time.

Since the old nut is out, I measured it all up. It looks like I may have cut my block short by roughly .100". Time to find some shims...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It wasn't terribly hard to do, just a bit of patience and some heat and pressure.
Some carbon, lots of time & lots of pressure....Bingo, you have a diamond!!

Sounds great Chris.....nice to use a tool to fix a tool.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #316
Suck it up!

Its done! I adjusted the height by milling the top notch .04" deeper than I had originally planned, knocked it in tight, then drilled and tapped two holes for some #6 screws to lock it in place. I then cleaned all the heavy grease off of the screw, sprayed it liberally with MooSlick, threaded that puppy on and put it all back together. It fits a bit tighter now that its in the aluminum gusset, but I couldn't get any more scraped out. It is what it is.

In its new home.

So the burning question: how does it work?

Fawking awesome. It has just a little bit of drag, and .0025" of backlash. I clamped some scrap material in the vice and made a few passes...smooth as butter. Now the lower nut feels like shit with its .007" of backlash.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #317
Yashua

Your a master machinist Chris , good job man .
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #318
Suck it up!

Quote:
Your a master machinist Chris , good job man .
One one hand, I say thanks.

On the other, you have just insulted master machinists the world over. Hopefully they will spare you their wrath.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #319
Quarry Creeper

You are a great at DIY stuff. But actually to get anything done, you just have to have balls to do it.
That goes for machining too. Don't baby it, feed it.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #320
colorado crawler

nice job Chris, looks like it will hold up just fine
crawlerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Machinists Corner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you Machinists can probly appreciate this... STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 41 05-14-2011 12:59 AM
Machinists..... mrpink Chit Chat 1 08-30-2010 08:31 PM
Question for the machinists out there... scally6 Chit Chat 12 12-03-2009 08:25 PM
Machinists...opinions? JasonInAugusta Tools, and Procedures 5 07-23-2007 11:00 PM