Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Machinists Corner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #401
Yashua

Default Re: Machinists Corner

There's probably a backlash adjustment for the worm gear too if there's any play in the hand wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Its missing both locks, new ones shouldn't be hard to make. I'll be going over it this weekend to see what's what and get it in shape.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #402
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
There's probably a backlash adjustment for the worm gear too if there's any play in the hand wheel.
Very little play in the wheel. Not nearly enough to worry about.

Concerning the centering of parts...I need to come up with some sort of vice that I can clamp stuff into and then center it all on the table. I've brainstormed a few things, just need to come up with material to do it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #403
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Very little play in the wheel. Not nearly enough to worry about.

Concerning the centering of parts...I need to come up with some sort of vice that I can clamp stuff into and then center it all on the table. I've brainstormed a few things, just need to come up with material to do it.
Nice find...... have fun with it.

I used to just put an offset dial indicator (can't remember the actual name) in the mill and spin it in the table center hole. That got the table centered.
Once a part is close to clamped up, use the same indicator to center it on the table before final clamping.

Ahhh....found something similar..... WESTWARD Test Indicator, 1 1/2 In Dia, 0.06In - Dial Indicators - 4KY12|4KY12 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Last edited by Charlie-III; 08-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #404
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Nice find...... have fun with it.

I used to just put an offset dial indicator (can't remember the actual name) in the mill and spin it in the table center hole. That got the table centered.
Once a part is close to clamped up, use the same indicator to center it on the table before final clamping.
Centering the table is easy. If I just want to clamp something down, that is easy too. I want to hold and center something too small or irregular for clamps.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #405

I found this and I am wondering if it would be worth buying? Wilton 3 Axis Tilting Vise — 2in. Jaw Width, Model# TLT/SP-50 | Drill Press Vises| Northern Tool + Equipment
at the moment I do not have a mini mill an was thinking this might help with my drill press.
tobyjarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #406

they have a 3", 4", 5" & 6" also just not sure which size would be best for the rc hobby. I am thinking 5" but just trying to get a little feed back if possible. thanks
tobyjarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #407
No idea what I'm doing

What are looking to do? $300 is quite a bit to spend if you can't really use it to it's potential.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #408
MFDesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
I just got one of these and working on getting it in optimal condition.

There are some videos on youtube.
that is CNC,BA..........
mfawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #409
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjarett View Post
I found this and I am wondering if it would be worth buying? Wilton 3 Axis Tilting Vise — 2in. Jaw Width, Model# TLT/SP-50 | Drill Press Vises| Northern Tool + Equipment
at the moment I do not have a mini mill an was thinking this might help with my drill press.
If you know how to use it, by all means, it's a nice enough tool for our hobby.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #410
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjarett View Post
Don't get me wrong, that thing is sweet but $300+.
If you get proficient on your mill you can make one. Making tooling for my mills and lathe is one of the most rewarding things I use them for. With a mill the possibilities are endless. Just google bench top mill projects and you will be amazed at what people do with minimum tooling.

Paulzox
PaulzOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #411
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfawv View Post
that is CNC,BA..........
Thanks, I can't wait to figure out how to use the Bobcad software I bought for it. I'm on my 4th computer and still have yet to make a single part.
Hopefully I'll get the time to watch the training videos and figure shit out.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #412
Pebble Pounder

Have any of you guys ever tried out the 6 in 1 machines ??? I'm guessing at the cost they are very limited to what they can do ? I'm looking for a metal lathe to get started but don't have a ton to sink into one been watching craigslist but nothing yet

sent from old rotary phone using tapatalk
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #413
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Thanks, I can't wait to figure out how to use the Bobcad software I bought for it. I'm on my 4th computer and still have yet to make a single part.
Hopefully I'll get the time to watch the training videos and figure shit out.

Which version did you get? I run bobcad at my shop and its a great program. We've been using it for a while now and the newer versions (24 or 25) are far better than the older stuff. The new interface with solidworks is awesome and we run it with the 4th axis programming and it works flawlessly so far!

The training vids are decent but you can find a lot more useful info on YouTube ESP if your just starting with it. Check out their page on there you won't regret it.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #414
Quarry Creeper

So I haven't been around much, I bought my mill and lathe last december. The mill has hardly been touched, very limited knowledge with it and just not a lot of time for projects. The lathe has seen a bit more use, nothing crazy just making tools and bearing installers for working on my quad ect ect. I did just order some acetal to play with, nice and soft just to get my bearings on the mill, and play a bit more on the lathe.

My question is, once I have an endmill in the mill, what is the easy way to get it out? I know to loosen the nut/bolt on top and give it a few taps with the hammer but once I get the collet loose the endmill is still jammed in there. Even once the collet is out of the damn mill it seems to be a fight lol.

Edit: I see this thread has moved a lot since...Well, last december! Haha, hopefully we can change that...

Last edited by Slowkrawl; 10-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #415
Suck it up!

Loosen the drawbar, tap it so there is no tension on it, then twist and pull the end mill out. Be careful that you don't cut yourself.

Make sure the end mills and collets (inside and out) are kept with a very light film of oil or wd40. This will keep rust away and make them easier to work with.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #416
Quarry Creeper

Drawbar...That's the term I was looking for but couldn't remember. You guys and your fancy projects, and here I am just trying to remember all the lingo LOL. Will do on the oiling, I'll have to give it another go tomorrow maybe. It's been a couple months since I used it last and I recall the endmill causing a few curse words trying to get it out.

Also, how would one go about centering the tailstock to the chuck on the lathe? I haven't touched the tailstock since I bought it and I assume it's not dead on..I want to be able to drill holes and such.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #417
Yashua

There is usually some sort of alignment pin or set screw that keeps the collet from spinning, that is usually adjustable that can make the collet too tight, and if the coolet has been crushed at all it will be tight on the EM.

And as for the tailstock, if you have a center that fits the headstock taper slide it in and then put a live or dead center in the tailstock, slide the tailstock towards the chuck / headstock and align the two centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
Drawbar...That's the term I was looking for but couldn't remember. You guys and your fancy projects, and here I am just trying to remember all the lingo LOL. Will do on the oiling, I'll have to give it another go tomorrow maybe. It's been a couple months since I used it last and I recall the endmill causing a few curse words trying to get it out.

Also, how would one go about centering the tailstock to the chuck on the lathe? I haven't touched the tailstock since I bought it and I assume it's not dead on..I want to be able to drill holes and such.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #418
Quarry Creeper

I will have to pick up some centers, any advantage to live vs. dead? And I will have to pull the chuck right off if I am following you correctly right?

My mill doesn't have a lock or brake I guess was my main problem while trying to change endmills it is kind of a gamble to get the collet unthreaded. I can take pics if it would make more sense.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #419
Quarry Creeper

There used to be a set screw in the collet holder itself, but A: It wouldn't touch the collet to adjust how deep it went in the holder anyways, and B: you'd have to pull the holder right out of the mill every time you wanted to change collets. Or am I an idiot for thinking you can change endmills with the holder still in the machine?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #420
Suck it up!

Are you putting the endmill in a collet or in a solid endmill holder? They are two different things...

Machinists Corner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you Machinists can probly appreciate this... STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 41 05-14-2011 12:59 AM
Machinists..... mrpink Chit Chat 1 08-30-2010 08:31 PM
Question for the machinists out there... scally6 Chit Chat 12 12-03-2009 08:25 PM
Machinists...opinions? JasonInAugusta Tools, and Procedures 5 07-23-2007 11:00 PM