Notices

Thread: Machinists Corner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #121
Yashua

Default Re: Machinists Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Luckily for us machining is an industry I dont see going away for a long time but with all the HS graduates going off to college there isnt really anyone learning how to do it, should be lots of opportunities when the old timers start retiring.

Hell man, most schools nowadays don't even offer woodshop let alone anything that might be helpful for a carear, HS graduates today have a hard enough time just pulling up there drawers. If it does'nt have Wii or PS on it they don't know what to do with it.
The only smart thing most have is there phone.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Around here comunity colleges are where the machining courses are at. I took those many years ago and they were decent and were more about general guidelines then teaching you everything you need to know. I was working at a shop at the same time and my boss was teaching me along the way and that was more helpful than most of the calsses I took. Then I got a call from a buddy of mine from those machining classes and he had a job opertunity for me, I went for the interview and BS'd my way through it. Got the job and just kept learning and learning on the job.

Depending on the size of shop you are at or want to be at the usual progression up from operator is going to setup guy and then above that you are a programmer. I dont know what your skill level is at, are you already setting up the machines? Do you adjust parts into tolerance?

Machining is definitely a profession that is passed down from the guys that know more than you do, pick up as much as you can every day when you go to work. Ask questions and check out courses offered in your area on programming.

Luckily for us machining is an industry I dont see going away for a long time but with all the HS graduates going off to college there isnt really anyone learning how to do it, should be lots of opportunities when the old timers start retiring.
As of right now I do it all from setup to programming. Most parts I do are +or-.005 or less we do a lot of tool making. The shop size is small and I would like to move up to something bigger. We have two cncs a surface grinder and a hand lathe. Everything I know my boss taught me. Last year I had never touched a cnc now I program and run as well as do prints and prototypes.
Thanks for the imput.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #123
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Hell man, most schools nowadays don't even offer woodshop let alone anything that might be helpful for a carear, HS graduates today have a hard enough time just pulling up there drawers. If it does'nt have Wii or PS on it they don't know what to do with it.
Luckily I was poor and just got a ps3 about a year ago. Before that I was a grunt training shooting among other grunt type things. So games never took over my life. Though this crawling hobby sure takes up my time lol
By the way I don't think the wii is a cool hip thing lol.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Speaking of schools, When I was in jr high we had wood shop, elec. shop, print shop, plastic shop and we had a metal shop. All of this in jr high. High school we had metal, auto and wood.

Quote:
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #125
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Speaking of schools, When I was in jr high we had wood shop, elec. shop, print shop, plastic shop and we had a metal shop. All of this in jr high. High school we had metal, auto and wood.

Yep, same where I went to school, of course that was over 40 years ago .
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #126
Yashua

Okay, guys I have a question. If I make a mandrel to mount a gear blank on that has a 1 1/4" bore how much taper do I put on the mandrel per inch (or over 6")?
Thanks for the guidance.
I guess I need to buy a Machinery Handbook.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Red face Re: Machinists Corner

Quote:

so sadly true... most people expect CNC to be walk up, press start and the machine does EVERYTHING for them... ya right, and the instant gratification mentality is really annoying if it isn't done in 5 minutes, who cares
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #128
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay, guys I have a question. If I make a mandrel to mount a gear blank on that has a 1 1/4" bore how much taper do I put on the mandrel per inch (or over 6")?
Thanks for the guidance.
I guess I need to buy a Machinery Handbook.
Pretty sure its .0005" taper per 1" in length for that size. Diametric not radial. The idea is you want the part to end up in the center of the taper.

Last edited by dkf; 04-13-2012 at 07:15 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #129

Yes that's correct. The average is .006 - .008 tpf
cr-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep, same for me, this was mid/late 70's though.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Pretty sure its .0005" taper per 1" in length for that size. Diametric not radial. The idea is you want the part to end up in the center of the taper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr-01 View Post
Yes that's correct. The average is .006 - .008 tpf
Ummm.....I don't know the answer without looking it up but I believe there is a difference in decimal points between you 2.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #131
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yep, same for me, this was mid/late 70's though.......

Ummm.....I don't know the answer without looking it up but I believe there is a difference in decimal points between you 2.....

I think one of the measurments is for taper per inch of length and the second is for taper per foot.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think one of the measurments is for taper per inch of length and the second is for taper per foot.
Doh......I believe you're correct, I missed the "units of measure".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #133
RCC Addict

Quote:
when i was in jr. high we had industrial technologies ( learned to weld , foundry work , and metal work) . in high school we had drafting , wood shop , machine shop . we also had a program to go to a different school to take advanced machining classes ( which i did ) , only bad part for me was they didn't have cnc equipment so i didn't learn to do that . when i got out of school there was jobs for machinists that knew cnc operations but not for regular hands on machinists.
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #134
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post

so sadly true... most people expect CNC to be walk up, press start and the machine does EVERYTHING for them... ya right, and the instant gratification mentality is really annoying if it isn't done in 5 minutes, who cares
I'm a welder at GE Aviation and you are VERY right. Seems many folks don't know the difference between a Machinist and a Machine Operator.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #135
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
I'm a welder at GE Aviation and you are VERY right. Seems many folks don't know the difference between a Machinist and a Machine Operator.
The no control boys I used to work with.

We called them NC (no control or no charge). They would always come to the manual side for tooling for there parts. We had a dcc cmm for inspection. They were always bitchin about how the cmm was not showing true numbers. They wanted to inspect parts with the same program/cnc machine. Boeing had fits lol. I was the CMM programmer and a manual machinist. Good times

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #136

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but for all who cant afford CAD Software I use GOOGLE SKETCHUP 8, it's a free download and is very simple for me to use. I run a small machine shop manufacturing D.O.D aircraft parts but have no formal training in CAD-CAM software. Programming G-Code is easy enough with a template for your functions but without blueprints you cant really get started in my opinion.
Coal_burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #137
Yashua

Hey guys, I have a question.
What grade of titanium is best for machinability and durability?
The grades start with grade 2 and go up like 5, 7 etc.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #138
colorado crawler

Quote:
Hey guys, I have a question.
What grade of titanium is best for machinability and durability?
The grades start with grade 2 and go up like 5, 7 etc.
Titanium Grades Information - Properties and Applications for all Titanium Alloys & Pure Grades - Supraalloys.com
crawlerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #139
Yashua

Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #140
Yashua

I picked up a very interesting read .
Attached Images

Machinists Corner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you Machinists can probly appreciate this... STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 41 05-14-2011 12:59 AM
Machinists..... mrpink Chit Chat 1 08-30-2010 08:31 PM
Question for the machinists out there... scally6 Chit Chat 12 12-03-2009 08:25 PM
Machinists...opinions? JasonInAugusta Tools, and Procedures 5 07-23-2007 11:00 PM