End Mill Holder

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #423
Quarry Creeper

Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #424
Suck it up!

Default Re: Machinists Corner

Shouldn't have too much trouble getting an endmill out of those. When the collet is loose, the endmill should be snug, but still removable.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #425
Quarry Creeper

Well then I am missing something. So far, I have had to pull the holder right out and then start world war 3 to get the endmill out and then the collet. They do have some assembly oil on them so it's not exactly metal on metal.

Edit:

I wonder if I am over tightening it when I put the endmill in? I usually give it a pretty good wrenchin' on because more tighter is more gooder, right? I'll have to try this again without going full retard on the wrench.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #426
Suck it up!

They don't have to be super tight, just good and snug.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #427
Quarry Creeper

Hmm, that didn't work either. It's still ignorant to get the endmill out. Ah well, at least I am not doing something totally wrong like I thought I might be, I just have to figure out a system because this is going to drive me nuts.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #428
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
...It's been a couple months since I used it last ...

I'm just making a wild guess, but you aren't by any chance leaving your endmills in the machine for months at a time are you? Try removing them as soon as you are done.

Quote:
They do have some assembly oil on them so it's not exactly metal on metal.
More than likely that's not assembly oil but rather Cosmoline. It's there to prevent rust during storage and shipment, but can really gum things up if you are tightening down endmills with it still on there...especially if it's been sitting for awhile which sounds like the case. I would clean all of your collets and that holder before using them....WD-40 and a toothbrush works great. Then keep a light mist of a rust preventative on them while they are not in use.

Also, you could try using regular R8 collets. They aren't that expensive (less than $25 a piece), and you can probably get by with just a few of the more popular sizes at first, and building on your set as you need too. With an R8, your endmill will pop right out when you give the drawbar a tap.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 10-15-2013 at 08:31 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #429
Quarry Creeper

Yes I had left the endmill in there for a few months, but even after pulling it out yesterday and putting a different one in and just snugging it up it's pretty much locked in there.

I might look at getting some endmill holders, from what I have read once you get to around 3/4" they will start to pull out of a collet, but collets are better for smaller endmills. That's what I got out of it anyways.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #430
Quarry Creeper

Check your coolant dirty coolant gets sticky and gummy

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #431
Quarry Creeper

Anyone has used automobile engine oil to prevent tools and alloy steel from rusting?

One worker in my shop applied Mobile 1 engine oil to a linear guide rail so that it would not rust during the rainy season. The outcome was suprising. The linear guide rail had some kind of reaction to the oil. It ruined its shiny surface with a lot of marks on it. I am guessing the oil reaction penetrated the rail upto 0.02 mm depth.

Will post some pics tomorrow...
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #432
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes I had left the endmill in there for a few months, but even after pulling it out yesterday and putting a different one in and just snugging it up it's pretty much locked in there.

I might look at getting some endmill holders, from what I have read once you get to around 3/4" they will start to pull out of a collet, but collets are better for smaller endmills. That's what I got out of it anyways.
C*H*U*D may have hit it, it may be Cosmoline Cosmoline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The collets you have work rather well as they tend to clamp well with less pressure than the 3 segment ones. I would clean your current ones off (the link discusses what Cosmoline is as well as ways to remove it), hit with at least WD-40 (Kroil makes a good spray-on coating) and use what you have.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #433

Slowkrawl I used collets similar to yours at work check and see if the collet will snap into the nut before you put the collet in the body.The ones I used were single angle collets and they would snap into the nut first. Then you would install the nut/collet into the body them install the endmill. Only tighten hand tight you do not need to hammer on the wrench. Give that a try I hope it helps.
acmeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #434
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeman View Post
Slowkrawl I used collets similar to yours at work check and see if the collet will snap into the nut before you put the collet in the body.The ones I used were single angle collets and they would snap into the nut first. Then you would install the nut/collet into the body them install the endmill. Only tighten hand tight you do not need to hammer on the wrench. Give that a try I hope it helps.
will do, thanks for the tip.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #435
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeman View Post
You're a god damn genius gump. No homo, but I'd hug you right now if I could...As soon as I got home and looked at the collet again it made total sense haha. Works like it should now, I knew I was doing something wrong!

Ok now that I can get endmills in and out of my mill...Time to start wrecking some endmills!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #436

I'm glad it worked out for you. I seen you post asking about centers for your lathe. A dead center is the cheapest way to go. Just us some heavy grease on the tip before you insert it into the work piece. If you pick up a live center purchase a good one it will last alot longer then tbe cheaper ones.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #437
Quarry Creeper

That's handy info, I haven't priced it out yet. I do have a dead center for the tailstock already, for the headstock if I was following correctly I would need to put a center in it aswell? Would the chuck have to come off or am I totally off base?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #438

Yes the chuck will have to come off. I have to go bavk and see what brand lathe you have. I myself have a Bridgeport in the garage and a 10" Atlas lathe in the basement. They are old but work for me.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #439

Found your post with pics of the lathe and mill. Nice machines. I like the lathe with the quick change gearbox. I have to change the gears around to change the feed settings.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #440
Quarry Creeper

The lathe is just a little fella but should be big enough for anything I need to do. I'm going to go have a look at it right now, not sure what taper is in the headstock

Machinists Corner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you Machinists can probly appreciate this... STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 41 05-14-2011 12:59 AM
Machinists..... mrpink Chit Chat 1 08-30-2010 08:31 PM
Question for the machinists out there... scally6 Chit Chat 12 12-03-2009 08:25 PM
Machinists...opinions? JasonInAugusta Tools, and Procedures 5 07-23-2007 11:00 PM