Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How to remove very tiny stripped screw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to remove very tiny stripped screw?

How do I remove a tiny completely stripped screw? They're the ones on my Hobbywing Axe, the 3 tiny ones on the sides. I've got 1 full rounded, 1 partially rounded, and 1 that's intact.

I've tried the rubber glove method, didnt work. I was thinking of using some JB weld, but the contact area is so small I'm not sure if it will grip.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? Or am I stuck with an unmaintainable motor?
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to remove very tiny stripped screw?

I don't own an Axe so I don't know where the screws are but a rounded screw (possible) solution is to use a drill bit equal or slightly smaller in diameter and drill the screw out. Sounds like it's too small to Dremel a slot and use a screwdriver.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You could possibly grab it with a hemostat. Dont own what you have either, so Im not sure how much space you have
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Take pics so we can help. Not seeing what your looking at...I would grind off all bolt heads with a dremmel. Remove motor and replace the part that has the three grinded bolts on it. If it is a large part that cannot be replaced...I would dremmel two flat spots on the screw heads to grip with the correct pliers.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 09-22-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
Take pics so we can help. Not seeing what your looking at...I would grind off all bolt heads with a dremmel. Remove motor and replace the part that has the three grinded bolts on it. If it is a large part that cannot be replaced...I would dremmel two flat spots on the screw heads to grip with the correct pliers.
I don't have one but looking at pics, a couple of the screws are hex-head and couple others are phillips. I can see this being a pita to remove any of em if their heads are stripped. Trying to slot any of em with a Dremel & cut-off wheel seems would surely slice into the actual can.

I think if it was me I would try ( on the phillips head) to see if I could pry a very small flat-head screwdriver under the head and lift up enough to grab it with a very small pair of needle-nose pliers... then slowly try to extract it with the pliers. If it was the hex head screw, you might be able to jam or tap a cheap-o hex key into the hex-head and remove it that way... Or you might even be able to use a larger sized hex-key and shave it down on a few sides to be able to get it into the hex-head.

To reverse drill/ tap the phillips head screw out... it looks pretty small so prob tough even if you had a small enough bit.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I don't have one but looking at pics, a couple of the screws are hex-head and couple others are phillips. I can see this being a pita to remove any of em if their heads are stripped. Trying to slot any of em with a Dremel & cut-off wheel seems would surely slice into the actual can.

I think if it was me I would try ( on the phillips head) to see if I could pry a very small flat-head screwdriver under the head and lift up enough to grab it with a very small pair of needle-nose pliers... then slowly try to extract it with the pliers. If it was the hex head screw, you might be able to jam or tap a cheap-o hex key into the hex-head and remove it that way... Or you might even be able to use a larger sized hex-key and shave it down on a few sides to be able to get it into the hex-head.

To reverse drill/ tap the phillips head screw out... it looks pretty small so prob tough even if you had a small enough bit.
I've tried the dreme, didnt work. I don't want to risk motor damage by drilling, the screw is really small, probably 0.5mm thread. It just makes it so I open up the motor. I'll probably just leave it there.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote

How to remove very tiny stripped screw? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a good way to remove a broken/stripped grub screw? Hatersauce Newbie General 5 02-28-2016 05:00 AM
Stripped Screw TheBigRigger122 Axial Wraith 7 01-14-2016 07:37 PM
Stripped Hex Screw - Craftsman Screw Extractor bigstu Tools, and Procedures 8 11-05-2011 08:48 AM
How do i remove a stripped set screw?!! ser3100 Tools, and Procedures 12 01-02-2010 09:12 PM
stripped screw eric113 General Crawlers 10 03-06-2005 04:42 PM