Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: decent to good tap and die set???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default decent to good tap and die set???

I looked all weekend and went to several stores including sears, lowes and home depot looking for a tap and die set that goes down to 1.5mm. I found a couple cheap ones and on something like that I just don't think the cheap way is the better way. Even harbor freight didn't have the set im looking for. I want a set that goes down that small but has enough to do bigger sizes as well like automotive sizes metric and standard. Anyone know of a set that is fairly priced and contains a good amount of typical size taps and dies and can you provide a link or website name also?

Sorry if there is a thread already on here but i couldn't find it this weekend by searching on here or google so if there is link me to it and I'll delete this one.

Thanks
Don
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: decent to good tap and die set???

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
I looked all weekend and went to several stores including sears, lowes and home depot looking for a tap and die set that goes down to 1.5mm. I found a couple cheap ones and on something like that I just don't think the cheap way is the better way. Even harbor freight didn't have the set im looking for. I want a set that goes down that small but has enough to do bigger sizes as well like automotive sizes metric and standard. Anyone know of a set that is fairly priced and contains a good amount of typical size taps and dies and can you provide a link or website name also?

Sorry if there is a thread already on here but i couldn't find it this weekend by searching on here or google so if there is link me to it and I'll delete this one.

Thanks
Don

Micro Mark sells small metric tap sets. Just search on Miro Mark

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
MODERHATER™

I have been using these and like them alot.

Metric Drill/Tap/Deburr Bit Set
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I guess those can get me started but I was looking for more of a complete set. Anyone have any luck with one?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quality taps and dies typically dont come in a set...I would just order the sizes you need from an online tooling supplier.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

How about this set

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

sorry this has die nuts not round adjustable dies

I have had a HSS set of taps an dies for 20 years. They work awesome. Only by hand. No pwr tapping. The taps are 4 flute.

Evan

Last edited by SlickRockSpider; 03-20-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Quality taps and dies typically dont come in a set...I would just order the sizes you need from an online tooling supplier.
x2. Try grizzly.com for some decent prices.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post
How about this set

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

sorry this has die nuts not round adjustable dies

I have had a HSS set of taps an dies for 20 years. They work awesome. Only by hand. No pwr tapping. The taps are 4 flute.

Evan
thanks, you know how sears does though. I looked at a set that had metric and standard in it like that, that was a little cheaper than if you bought both seperate but it doesn't all the same sizes in it either. So i will probably end up having to buy both. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
x2. Try grizzly.com for some decent prices.
Great I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

I'd also have to agree with buying them individually. You really won't be using too many on crawlers, so buying a set will probably be a waste of money.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i have been using irwins 5 pc tap and die sets in metric and std from home depot in the blue/yellow package for bout 25 bucks each without fail, i use trans fluid for tap juice .......bob

Last edited by bob1961; 03-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i have been using erwins 5 pc tap and die sets in metric and std from home depot in the blue/yellow package for bout 25 bucks each without fail, i use trans fluid for tap juice .......bob

X2
I use traxxas shock oil tho for tap juice.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As mentioned, the range you are requesting is fairly large.

I have a set that stops short of the small ones (maybe it's an Irwin??) and I just picked up a tap/drill set off Tower Hobbies for small stuff.

Yes, I do Japanese motorcycles & cars, so I need the larger taps & dies.

Also try McMaster Carr, they will have some sets as well as individual pieces.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Also try McMaster Carr, they will have some sets as well as individual pieces.
Honestly mcmaster is way overpriced for tools...That includes end mills, taps, wrenches, screw drivers, etc etc etc. The stuff that I buy from them is usually hardware and material and every now and then something obscure that I cant seem to find anywhere.

There are tons of tooling supply places all over the country, out here the big one is Western Tool and there are some other ones as well. The great thing about them is that first of all their prices are good, second they have a large selection of everything, and of course they are knowledgeable about the stuff they sell.

There are also some other places I recommend if you prefer online. MSC Direct is good, wide range of stuff and good prices on tools. Enco is also good for all your tooling/industrial needs, they have a lot of american made stuff as well as import versions if you are looking for cheap stuff. Then there are smaller and cheaper outfits like Shars and Grizzly who deal in mostly if not all import stuff. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Shars and Grizzly and I have been quite supprised of the quality of their stuff.

If you are just using these taps for RC stuff you dont really need that many. 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm are probably the only ones you will ever need. Instead of buying a kit with a bunch of junk you dont need spend more money on the ones that you do need, they will last longer and cut better than generic brand junk.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Honestly mcmaster is way overpriced for tools...That includes end mills, taps, wrenches, screw drivers, etc etc etc. The stuff that I buy from them is usually hardware and material and every now and then something obscure that I cant seem to find anywhere.

There are tons of tooling supply places all over the country, out here the big one is Western Tool and there are some other ones as well. The great thing about them is that first of all their prices are good, second they have a large selection of everything, and of course they are knowledgeable about the stuff they sell.

There are also some other places I recommend if you prefer online. MSC Direct is good, wide range of stuff and good prices on tools. Enco is also good for all your tooling/industrial needs, they have a lot of american made stuff as well as import versions if you are looking for cheap stuff. Then there are smaller and cheaper outfits like Shars and Grizzly who deal in mostly if not all import stuff. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Shars and Grizzly and I have been quite supprised of the quality of their stuff.

If you are just using these taps for RC stuff you dont really need that many. 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm are probably the only ones you will ever need. Instead of buying a kit with a bunch of junk you dont need spend more money on the ones that you do need, they will last longer and cut better than generic brand junk.

Mc mastercarr has everything and is a bit expensive. MSC owns Enco. I buy from both. If you piece meal it is more expensive. why limit your self to r/c stuff. I have never regretted buying tooling. Once you have it. You will wounder what in the hell I would do with out.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Suck it up!

Fastenal sells taps...that is where I get my small ones. I've never looked, but they probably have dies too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I agree McMaster is not the cheapest. Keep in mind, if you can get everything from one place, you end up saving on shipping vs. buying from various places & paying multiple shipping/handling expenses.

I also have a McMaster warehouse in south NJ, so I can order by ~1PM and have it at home the next business day for no extra shipping if it's in that warehouse.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i have been using irwins 5 pc tap and die sets in metric and std from home depot in the blue/yellow package for bout 25 bucks each without fail, i use trans fluid for tap juice .......bob

just looked at the dies and they have hanson name on them, not sure if irwin buy hanson dies in there 12 pc five size kits in metric and std....

Irwin Fractional Tap and Hexagon Die Set (12-Piece) 24605SM at The Home Depot

for the price of these two kits in metric and std you can't go wrong .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looking to get the basic taps I'd need for my crawlers. Really only need a tap for the standard screws and one for Revo rod ends. What are the two sizes I need?
new2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2it View Post
Looking to get the basic taps I'd need for my crawlers. Really only need a tap for the standard screws and one for Revo rod ends. What are the two sizes I need?
most crawler stuff aside from the Losi MRC is 3mm x 0.50.
revo rod ends are either 4mm or 8-32 in SAE
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I just bought this set from Grainger, I get a discount through work.

Tap and Die Set, M3-M12, 41 Pc - Tap and Die Sets - Machine Cutting Tools - 5EWL9 : Grainger Industrial Supply

basically every metric tap and die from 3mm to 12mm
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote

decent to good tap and die set??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions for a Tap and Die set TJ_Shunk Tools, and Procedures 16 02-25-2010 08:37 PM
Tap and Die set... Synister_Intent Tools, and Procedures 12 11-06-2009 09:34 AM
looking for a screw tap set muddeprived Tools, and Procedures 13 01-06-2009 07:23 AM
Tap and Die kit????? John Deere Tools, and Procedures 15 09-18-2006 08:32 PM