Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tell me a little about my lathe and mill.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tell me a little about my lathe and mill.

So, my dad has had this combo lathe/mill since the early '80's. I got it up and going a few years ago and have become fairly familiar with it, but I doubt I'm using it properly and to its full potential. First, can anyone tell me much about it? It's difficult to find much about it since I don't believe it's made anymore. It's a Maximat V10 made in Austria in the late '60's.

One thing is it has some wear close to the lathe head. If you take the slop out close to the head, it gets tighter the farther you travel to the right. Is there any way to fix that? Also would like to add a quick change tool holder. Not sure if just any will fit.

I also have all these accessories, but don't know how to use most of them.

The first ones I have used.

These, not too sure about.

Some various items that I either have bought (most of the end mills) or came with the machine.

Also wondering if any of you have used the Myford turning tools before?

So, any info you can give me about tuning it up, basic safe and proper machining techniques, etc would be great. There seem to be quite a few knowledgeable and passionate machinist on here. Thanks for your time. Tim.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tell me a little about my lathe and mill.

Safety 101...

Never EVER leave a chuck key in a chuck EVER...

Never have anything loose around the machine, it can get sucked in... that's bad

Treat metal chips with respect, they are SHARP and some are very HOT!

A little oil goes a long way to keep things happy, just use whatever they recommend for it. I use Mobil Vactra #2 on my Sherline and friends Hi Torque mill. I like how it forms a FILM of oil, its sticky but that's a good thing.

And sharp tools are key. If its dull, try and re-sharpen but if you can't... toss it. When a tap goes dull, toss it right away, they aren't worth fishing out of a part when they break

Last edited by 666; 03-20-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: quoted pics....
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

These, not too sure about.
Since you've already used the rotary table, the first is similar but with a dividing head on it. This is used to make accurate, quickly repeatable steps. You can probably look online and get some info on how many degrees each hole will give you.

The second is a Steady Rest. It mounts to the bed and provides support to longer material.

The third is a Follower Rest. It mounts to the carriage instead of the bed, and "follows" the tool as it's cutting.

Most of time with small parts you won't have to worry about the rests, but that dividing head could come in real handy. I remember your post in your 34' thread about drilling the rotors...you could easily do it with that dividing head.

Nice looking machine, but I'd cover those electrical outlets

edit:

Here's a bit more information on it.

And it looks like you can still get manuals for it on Ebay.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 03-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Safety 101...

Never EVER leave a chuck key in a chuck EVER...

Never have anything loose around the machine, it can get sucked in... that's bad

Treat metal chips with respect, they are SHARP and some are very HOT!

A little oil goes a long way to keep things happy, just use whatever they recommend for it. I use Mobil Vactra #2 on my Sherline and friends Hi Torque mill. I like how it forms a FILM of oil, its sticky but that's a good thing.

And sharp tools are key. If its dull, try and re-sharpen but if you can't... toss it. When a tap goes dull, toss it right away, they aren't worth fishing out of a part when they break
Yeah, I saw that chuck key after I posted it. I made a few winch spools this morning. I was cleaning off the lathe and had just removed a #4 drill bit to put a centering bit in when I decided to take a few pics. Although that chuck has never spun that I remember .

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Since you've already used the rotary table, the first is similar but with a dividing head on it. This is used to make accurate, quickly repeatable steps. You can probably look online and get some info on how many degrees each hole will give you.

The second is a Steady Rest. It mounts to the bed and provides support to longer material.

The third is a Follower Rest. It mounts to the carriage instead of the bed, and "follows" the tool as it's cutting.

Most of time with small parts you won't have to worry about the rests, but that dividing head could come in real handy. I remember your post in your 34' thread about drilling the rotors...you could easily do it with that dividing head.

Nice looking machine, but I'd cover those electrical outlets

edit:

Here's a bit more information on it.

And it looks like you can still get manuals for it on Ebay.
I'd love to learn to use the dividing head...but I'm scared of screwing something up.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Suck it up!

This is a short course truck tire groover.

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

The lathe also looks to have drive dogs with adjustable speeds. If so this lathe is capable of making threads.
That grinder is not just a grinder, but I can't remember exactly what they are for. I will ask my boss. He is great with this stuff. I'm more in to CNC's.
~thrasher~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It did have thread cutting capabilities, but the gears are stripped on the feed for cutting threads.....so no go on that.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One thing is it has some wear close to the lathe head. If you take the slop out close to the head, it gets tighter the farther you travel to the right. Is there any way to fix that? Also would like to add a quick change tool holder. Not sure if just any will fit.
Im guessing that the wear you are talking about is in the saddle to ways. Does the whole assembly become noticably loose when you move to the right or is it just easier to move?

Assuming that it is only a couple thou I would get some lapping compound and work on your forearm muscles for a couple hours. Basically just lap the tight portion until it comes down and then lap the whole thing a bunch to even it out. If it is off more than that then you are SOL unless you want to pay someone to regrind them for you (probably not).

You should be able to add a quick change post, generally you just need to buy one with the proper diameter through hole to match the screw coming out of the cross slide. Any tooling supplier should be able to supply you with the tool post and matching holders for your tools. If you are going to do it you will need to invest some coin in holders, a quick change post without 4 or more holders for your most used tools is a waste of money.

On an unrelated note, how are you attaching your winch spools to the servo? Im trying to figure out an easy way to spline them so I dont have to use the dumb plastic circle horns as a base.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

I believe the grinder is suppose to be attached to the carriage for precision grinding of tool steel. This might also explain why the ways are loose up by the lathe spindle. When you do grinding with a lathe the abrasives and metal grindings get between the ways and saddle and cause friction and wear that will ruin the tolerances.
707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

heres a pic of the grinder in use
Attached Images

707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #11

That would be it (for the grinder). We have one at our shop but we never use it.

On the saddle there should be some adjustments to take the slop out. Mine has two bolts that are attached to a plate next to the rear way.

Last edited by ~thrasher~; 03-21-2012 at 06:10 AM.
~thrasher~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

drool, drool, green with envy you have a nice piece of old iron there ....that drill chuck is non rotating so that key in there is no real biggy, but yes don't leave keys in stuff ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

A Tim. Nice lathe very cool. You have some very neat and expensive tooling.

Tim If you want to I can come up to your house and we can do a question and answer thing. This is my passion. Let me know.

Anyway nice lathe/mill combo.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I'd love to learn to use the dividing head...but I'm scared of screwing something up.
Mount up a piece of scrap and use a sharpie in the spindle. Don't turn it on, but just use the sharpie to mark where the drill would make a hole. After some playing around, you should start getting an idea of what type of spacing the dividing head will give you on different hole settings.

There's also a lot of info online about how to use one.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 03-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'll say it again. I can come play when you need me. I can show you how to use the dividing head. At least I used to be able to use one. CNC has turned me into a lousy manual machinist.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VRYNG View Post
I'll say it again. I can come play when you need me. I can show you how to use the dividing head. At least I used to be able to use one. CNC has turned me into a lousy manual machinist.
I'll have you come over when you're not so busy at work. I'm sure the last thing you want to do in your spare time is come show me how to use lathe, mill, and tooling.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'll have you come over when you're not so busy at work. I'm sure the last thing you want to do in your spare time is come show me how to use lathe, mill, and tooling.

Why not Tim. Thats what a good friend does.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tell me a little about my lathe and mill. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovered this mill/ lathe stubb Tools, and Procedures 2 04-27-2009 07:07 AM
Possible ideas for someone with lathe/mill Zapper2003 General Crawlers 10 08-20-2005 02:26 PM
micromark lathe/mill? braceysdad Tools, and Procedures 3 08-15-2005 12:58 PM
Mill or lathe? BeadLock Tools, and Procedures 4 07-03-2005 04:57 PM