Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws?

Not exactly crawler related, but theres enough DIY'ers on here so that someone has to have tried this before and is hopefully willing to share what works.

I have a Rustler with rear arms up front that needed upgraded hinge pins, so I got the lunsford kit for the Slash 4x4 thinking that since they both use the same arms all around I would be golden. Since I've never worked on a Slash 4x4 I didn't know that it has captured inner hinge pins so there isn't any grooves for the E-clips. Lunsford even gives you enough extra clips, just nowhere to put them.

So far I tried chucking them in a drill and put a sharp narrow file to them. After 10 minutes I had barely scratched the surface. I'm not patient enough for that.

What works better? A plumbing pipe cutter? A cuttoff wheel and a steady hand? Any ideas?

And on a completely unrelated note:

Does anyone know where I can get HD 5mm grub screws for my Felsenfest spools in my Wraith? Preferably something with knurling on the end to really hold a bite. I can't seem to get them to stay tight for more than a pack with Tekin Pro4 3300KV and 2s power. I know how to set them up for zero runout, as I have them in my SCX and AX-10 and they've never loosened up in those. I've got them so tight I strip out the ball end of a Snap on 2.5mm hex key, and Bondhus one. I got a Hudy driver tip to try next. It's always the ones close to the ring gear that you have to use a ball end on. It's getting old pulling the diff covers and reseting the grubs after every pack. And yes, I did meticulously clean them and use red loc-tite, and waited 24 hours for it to setup, and they still won't hold.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws?

I don't know about your 5mm screw problem, but I have tried cutting 3 clip grooves. the best way I found was to chuck it up in a drill and hit it with a sm jewlers file. Yeah it takes for ever but it worked for me. I tried the cut off wheel thing...... didn't work to good for me, but I don't see real well and I don't have a real steady hand so the grooves were not very accurate as they were to wide from the start because of the thickness of the wheel and my moving the cutter around after making contact with the pin. I never thought to try a tubing cutter, but then again do they make one small enough?
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws?

Cutting those grooves without a lathe is going to be a pain in the butt!

If there is enough length sticking out I would just use some shaft collars that clamp down on it with a set screw to hold it in place.

Mcmaster would probably have the screws you are looking for.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
And yes, I did meticulously clean them and use red loc-tite, and waited 24 hours for it to setup, and they still won't hold.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Loctite 2700 or 2701 works great w. pro4 3300 and 3s
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just checked and the two types of "red" thread lock I've been using are Prime Lock 275 stud and bearing formula, and Permatex "high strength". As per the designers suggestion, I will scour the hardware stores for some genuine Loc tite 2700 or 2701 and do another full axle dissasembly and cleaning. I have spent more time maintaining these OCP 60 axles than I have driving on them. At this point the only stock parts left are the axleshafts and housings (with beef tubes inside the front).

I tried a small tubing cutter on the hinge pins yesterday, and only managed to dull two cuttoff wheels without much progress. I don't have access to a lathe, but that was my first idea when I encountered this problem. Just like when working on fullsize cars, I'm ticked when I don't have the proper tools to do the job and have to improvise.

I looked at Mcmaster Carr at found the setscrews that I think will work. But they only come in quantities of 50 for $10. Not bad really, but I don't need that many. Their called Knurled Cup Point Set Screws and if the good loc tite doesn't hold up I'll be trying some out.

Theres not quite enough hinge pin sticking out to use clamping collars. I hate E-clips, but I also hate small grub screws. I'm almost looking at making plates to bolt to the bulkhead to capture the hinge pins.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get HD 5mm grub screws for my Felsenfest spools in my Wraith?
just a few that came up on a search ....

M5x6mm Metric Socket Set Screws...12 pcs.: RTL Fasteners - Hobbies, Radio Control, ( R/C or RC ), locknuts, metric screws, servo screws, socke

ProTek R/C 5x5mm "High Strength" Cup Style Set Screws (10) [PTK-H-4200] | RC Helicopters - A Main Hobbies

i use regular blue loc tite on mine and have never had them come loose........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just got back from a trip into town. All three of the local hardware stores only carry Loctite 270 and 271. Probably not what I need huh?

thanks for the links to the grub screws. I needed to make an Amainhobies order anyway...
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

PM me if that no-slop locker is still giving you crap. I will send you one of mine for free. I dont sell them. I my change your mind about locker world. No lame set screws.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

I've had success with stainless rod chucked into a drill and spinning against a hacksaw in order to cut a e-clip groove. you just have to be careful not to cut to deep or your clip will fall off.a
kyoshojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshojoe View Post
I've had success with stainless rod chucked into a drill and spinning against a hacksaw in order to cut a e-clip groove. you just have to be careful not to cut to deep or your clip will fall off.a
Have you ever tried sawing 6al4v Titanium ? It resists saw blades more than almost any stainless steel.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Yea that's a pain without a lathe for sure! You could chuck the pin up in a drill and use a dremel cutoff wheel. Or just drill the bulkhead and put a 3mm set screw to hold it in place?

Jake
Jakerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy cutting of 6 or 8/32 screws/allthread racerfred Tools, and Procedures 18 06-16-2010 07:00 AM
Replacing E-Clip style pins with nuts and bolts? neamerjell Newbie General 7 03-23-2010 11:56 PM
Ring gear screws won't FFFFFFFFFFFFF thread into the locker! SStone Axial SCX-10 7 12-25-2009 08:39 PM
4th gear/locker screws Josh87 EnRoute Berg 0 10-31-2008 04:52 PM
Maxx hinge pins 666 Chit Chat 3 05-21-2006 08:40 AM