Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: when is it time to replace a soldering iron tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default when is it time to replace a soldering iron tip?

i have a hakko system i've been using since x-mas. works great but lately it seems like it isn't working as well as it did at the start. could it be the the tip needs to be replaced? it looks ok but is a little discolored.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: when is it time to replace a soldering iron tip?

I replace mine whenever it starts hindering my soldering work.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First thing I do with an iron or gun when it seems "off", remove the tip and clean it where it contacts the rest of the unit. I usually just use red ScotchBrite for cleaning. You can get a carbon buildup which limits heat transfer, thus it won't work as well.

If that does not do enough, clean the tip real well and see if you're through the outer tip sheath, that is a good time to replace it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
First thing I do with an iron or gun when it seems "off", remove the tip and clean it where it contacts the rest of the unit. I usually just use red ScotchBrite for cleaning. You can get a carbon buildup which limits heat transfer, thus it won't work as well.

If that does not do enough, clean the tip real well and see if you're through the outer tip sheath, that is a good time to replace it.
ok. i'll pull mine apart and see what it looks like. hopefully that is all it takes. i was expecting to more life out of a tip.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

As has been stated above, clean carbon off threads or however the tip attaches. Another thing to do is periodically (while soldering) give the hot tip a quick wipe with a dirty rag, yep dirty one too keep the carbon particles off the tip, the tip should be "tinned" too. After cleaning the tip, apply a little solder paste and then apply solder to tin it.
in my experience I have soldered hundreds of times or thousands of times and I have never had to replace an iron tip. I keep them clean and tinned..

my .02¢
CadToChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll use a bit of emery cloth to clean up any carbon/solder build up off of the tip then re-tin it, it always works like new.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

when you re-tin it is that just applying a little solder to the tip once its clean? i don't have solder paste. is that something you could pick up at a typical hardware store?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
when you re-tin it is that just applying a little solder to the tip once its clean? i don't have solder paste. is that something you could pick up at a typical hardware store?
Yes & yes. But, doing electronics usually means using rosin core solder, thus no need for solder paste (the rosin is the flux).

Acid type paste is not great for electronics.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I clean the tip of my iron on a wet sponge between uses whilst it's hot, it washes the acid off and prevents it attacking the plating and tip long term - it's still like new
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxCrawler View Post
I clean the tip of my iron on a wet sponge between uses whilst it's hot, it washes the acid off and prevents it attacking the plating and tip long term - it's still like new
yeah that's what i have been doing as well....plus when i'm done and after i turn off my hakko i keep using the wet sponge/rag trick and keep wiping the tip off till it starts to cool.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Got Worms?

i normally replace my tips when it makes the solder feels "gummy" kinda hard to notice on big connections...if your getting solder tails when you take your iron off the piece, and your tip appears to be clean (shiny), then its time to replace.

Make sure to clean the tip after each joint, wipe it on a wet sponger get excess solder off. Then before each joint i like to clean it it again but first dab/tin the tip, let it smoke abit (this is the flux boiling), wipe it off on the sponge, tin the tip, then heat the joint.

flux is used to clean the material being soldered, so the solder can bond properly. So by putting solder on your tip your cleaning off the oxidezed material and allowing good heat transfer.

You can also buy ti[ cleaner, like this Solder Tip Tinner and Cleaner - SparkFun Electronics
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'll use a bit of emery cloth to clean up any carbon/solder build up off of the tip then re-tin it, it always works like new.
x2 never had to replace a tip yet
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

^^^This.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Get a "Plato AB-3" it's a tip cleaner that restores detinned tips without damaging the plating on the tip.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote

when is it time to replace a soldering iron tip? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tip stuck on my soldering iron James003 Tools, and Procedures 6 09-03-2011 12:59 PM
Soldering iron aaugman Tools, and Procedures 59 09-03-2009 02:23 AM
What soldering iron for battery soldering? Flatty Electronics 1 06-23-2008 07:35 AM
Brazing with Butane Soldering Iron with Flame Tip? birdie Tools, and Procedures 10 04-29-2008 03:57 PM
Soldering Iron Help Goferrari28 Electronics 5 02-18-2008 04:27 PM