Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Is this MAPP kit ok to start with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is this MAPP kit ok to start with

Hi,

I would like to start making my own cages. I have experience welding with wire feed, but never tried brazing. I read a couple articles here and am up on the basics. Would this kit be ok to start with Bernzomatic Oxygen MAPP Brazing Torch Kit 330392 at The Home Depot or is there a better starter kit you experienced pros could recommend. Also I'm in Orange County, Calif. and will need some brake line. Any suggestions on where to buy.

Thanks ......... Chris

P.S. I'm on an Apple iPhone and am unable to use this forums search function :(

Last edited by cloudswimmer; 05-09-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Still waking up this morning
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Is this MAPP kit ok to start with

I've never used that one, but from what I've heard the oxygen tank doesn't last long.

If you just want to get started building your own cages and tube work, you might want to look into silver soldering. It's extremely strong and pretty easy to learn with a bit of practice. I use this torch which works fine, and you don't need oxygen tanks:

TS4000T MPP Torch-330216 at The Home Depot
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I've never used that one, but from what I've heard the oxygen tank doesn't last long.

If you just want to get started building your own cages and tube work, you might want to look into silver soldering. It's extremely strong and pretty easy to learn with a bit of practice. I use this torch which works fine, and you don't need oxygen tanks:

TS4000T MPP Torch-330216 at The Home Depot
Hey thanks. The simpler the better. They sell this solder/flux combo there too Safety-Silv 45 2-Piece Brazing Kit-45KPOP at The Home Depot this ok? My plan is to start by copying my 1:1 Cherokee XJ design which ties into the unibody sub frame (so the scx10 frame rails for this little guy) Anything else I should pickup while at home depot for the job?

Thanks again!

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Im no expert on brazing and welding but i recently acquired this set and Trying it for the first time I'm fairly happy with it. What Juan says is true the oxygen runs out pretty quick and that's where pre-planning and set up of all your pieces is a good idea.

If you're building just for yourself I feel it's a decent investment but if you plan on doing a lot of fabricating I would suggest a small oxy-acetylene set up like the one at harbor freight or home depot
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Off topic but are you viewing through safari? Or tapatalk? If its the safari, you just need to click in the links a couple of times to initiate them lol
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Off topic but are you viewing through safari? Or tapatalk? If its the safari, you just need to click in the links a couple of times to initiate them lol
Safari. I just cut and past the links, not sure I'm following you here
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
Hi,

I would like to start making my own cages. I have experience welding with wire feed, but never tried brazing. I read a couple articles here and am up on the basics. Would this kit be ok to start with Bernzomatic Oxygen MAPP Brazing Torch Kit 330392 at The Home Depot or is there a better starter kit you experienced pros could recommend. Also I'm in Orange County, Calif. and will need some brake line. Any suggestions on where to buy.

Thanks ......... Chris

P.S. I'm on an Apple iPhone and am unable to use this forums search function :(
Far from a pro here but I just finished my first cage with that torch set. It works good once you get the flame adjusted right, but yeah the oxy runs out quick. Without my practice runs I could have done the whole chassis on one bottle but I ran out with like 3 joints to go. Getting the flame right takes a little practice, it goes from the oxygen doing nothing to blowing out the flame in about 1/8 of a turn.
I wouldn't use this set if I was going to build a lot of chassis but as far as the small ones go it has the smallest tip that I found.

As far as brakeline goes I get mine at Napa auto. They have 6' sticks for like $7 or something like that.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Far from a pro here but I just finished my first cage with that torch set. It works good once you get the flame adjusted right, but yeah the oxy runs out quick. Without my practice runs I could have done the whole chassis on one bottle but I ran out with like 3 joints to go. Getting the flame right takes a little practice, it goes from the oxygen doing nothing to blowing out the flame in about 1/8 of a turn.
I wouldn't use this set if I was going to build a lot of chassis but as far as the small ones go it has the smallest tip that I found.

As far as brakeline goes I get mine at Napa auto. They have 6' sticks for like $7 or something like that.
Thanks! Appreciate the info I'm not sure if this is something I'm going to do a lot, so don't want to invest in a lot in tooling at this point.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

get a crosstech torch head. there expinsive but will braze with mapp and propane. using 1/8" brazing rods. between the cheap gas and cheap brazing rods it will pay for its self quick. guy i work with uses it to braze HVAC systems
Crosstech Double Torch Head with Clean Out TM2100CLO | eBay

YES you can braze with propane
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
Safari. I just cut and past the links, not sure I'm following you here
It's for the search, I had issues before trying to click on sub forums and search when I was on rccrawler and found out if you click it a second time itll pop up, but the moment you try to type it'll disappear and all you have to do is click on it again and you'll be able to type. Just a tip to help ya out if your ever wondering why things aren't showing or loading after clicking once
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
It's for the search, I had issues before trying to click on sub forums and search when I was on rccrawler and found out if you click it a second time itll pop up, but the moment you try to type it'll disappear and all you have to do is click on it again and you'll be able to type. Just a tip to help ya out if your ever wondering why things aren't showing or loading after clicking once
Ahh ok I'll remember that. I just got tapatalk couple hours ago and thats working golden for this forum.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I also have that torch. It LOVES its oxygen for sure (holding your breath while brazing doesn't help either). After doing several bumpers, sliders and a full cage I have gotten very fast at getting the flame adjusted correctly. Once you figure that part out you can make it a lot further on one tank. Figure 2-3 Oxy's per Mapp tanks. It's been a great starter set. I forgot to pack it up last winter and one of the lines cracked (making it useless). I returned it to Lowes and got a brand new one this Spring...one of the benefits of Home Depot/Lowes.
Have fun and good luck
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote

Is this MAPP kit ok to start with - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho Kit...where to start USMCrawler Axial SCX-10 7 11-14-2011 09:51 AM
MAPP Torch Help Phylodog Tools, and Procedures 6 11-20-2009 09:31 PM
First timer here, Whats the best kit to start off with? RCRon Newbie General 21 08-13-2008 07:25 PM
MAPP torch?? deadcell Newbie General 10 10-31-2007 08:55 AM
Is this a good kit to start a scaler rig with? chino General Scale Talk 5 04-23-2007 09:29 PM