Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: buying a welder soooon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by john alardin
thank you for clarifying everything, Dude. 220v is not for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
if it is for hobby than a small 110 mig will be fine, go wth a Miller.

see above.

and yes your right, the biggest mistake most people make is buying too big of a machine for the duty cycle, that's what I meant buy "duty cycle is over rated"

and also most people use too big of a wire size also with a mix gas. Welding supply stores will sell you anything you want just to get the sale if you are not in the trade.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I use .30 wire for most all unless I doing spot welds for body work etc then I step down in size
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
I use .30 wire for most all unless I doing spot welds for body work etc then I step down in size
your spot on

for railing we use the .023, it welds nice and leaves no spatter hardly at all.

too big of wire will hurt the penetration factor on a weld, with too big of wire you cover to fast after the initial burn into the steel which will not put down a good quality weld.

but you already probably all ready knew that, sounds like you know your stuff too.

not too many times I have seen that on the net. and usually I don't reply to argue the fact.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
your spot on

for railing we use the .023, it welds nice and leaves no spatter hardly at all.

too big of wire will hurt the penetration factor on a weld, with too big of wire you cover to fast after the initial burn into the steel which will not put down a good quality weld.

but you already probably all ready knew that, sounds like you know your stuff too.

not too many times I have seen that on the net. and usually I don't reply to argue the fact.
I learned the hard way.....TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!! a whole loot of fawked up stuff! LOL
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #25

EXACTLY bulzeye! all i need is something little till i want to spend like 3 or 400 dollars just a little something to get the job done, if they didnt work diecent they wouldnt be selling welders!
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

im w/ traxx and bulzeye. I dont have 2 much money to spend on tools, only do occasional welding, and im cheap lol, so the $100 century welder was just right for my needs. To avoid any disagreements, I say to each their own. happy crawling, every1
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #27

and EXACTLY to you jason! i will only do occasional welding untill i get good.
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

IN MY OPINION....why buy a cheap machine until you "get good"?It's going to be hard for you to "get good" with a half *** excuse for a welder.As someone mentioned,welders are not a category to go cheap....ever heard the saying "you get what you pay for"?I have a Hobart Handler 140 that I use mainly for welding in patch panels and other bodywork and it works great,and will weld 1/4".If you are going to buy a welder,buy a good one.When was the last time that you went into a welding shop and saw a Clarke or Harbor Freight welder sitting there?I personally can't recommend a Lincoln MIG (because i haven't used one),but I can say that Miller and Hobart machines are very hard to beat.But like I said this is MY OPINION,if you want to start out with a cheapy,go ahead and when you "get good",check out a Miller Shopmaster...the price will make you **** yourself.Just my $.02.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
That's a big wire....I usually use .030 wire.LOL
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote