Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: welder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default welder?

100AMP ARC Welder Machine Rod Welding 110Volt AC Tools DIY Automotive HD | eBay

im looking at this welder and was wondering if it's enough to do tubers and maybe a little sheet metal welding. im new to welding and i want to make tubers. but i dont know if it has enough power to do stuff like that?
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: welder?

when it comes to welding smaller stuff like tubers, or doing sheetmetal work like on full size vehicles, you should be looking at MIG welders. while an ARC welder will work they are alot harder to use, cause alot more mess, and take tons more grinding to get the welds clean.

when you look at MIG welders you can usually go two routes. the first is a MIG welder with flux core wire. this works ok, but leaves alot of slag on the welds, and it sparks alot leaving tiny beads of weld material all over the place. lots of clean up involved but not as much as an ARC (most of the time called stick) welders.

next you can get a MIG welder with a gas bottle. you can use either argon gas or co2 gas. these leave a good clean weld, very little of no slag on the weld, don't spark very much so not a big mess of tiny bead material everywhere, and very little cleanup of the weld.

you could also get into TIG welding, but this is best left to people that know what they are doing. it's not easy to learn, but once you learn how to TIG weld you can do amazing things. very small stuff up to large stuff, and no cleanup needed.

i'm not a welder by trade, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last nite!!!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
when it comes to welding smaller stuff like tubers, or doing sheetmetal work like on full size vehicles, you should be looking at MIG welders. while an ARC welder will work they are alot harder to use, cause alot more mess, and take tons more grinding to get the welds clean.

when you look at MIG welders you can usually go two routes. the first is a MIG welder with flux core wire. this works ok, but leaves alot of slag on the welds, and it sparks alot leaving tiny beads of weld material all over the place. lots of clean up involved but not as much as an ARC (most of the time called stick) welders.

next you can get a MIG welder with a gas bottle. you can use either argon gas or co2 gas. these leave a good clean weld, very little of no slag on the weld, don't spark very much so not a big mess of tiny bead material everywhere, and very little cleanup of the weld.

you could also get into TIG welding, but this is best left to people that know what they are doing. it's not easy to learn, but once you learn how to TIG weld you can do amazing things. very small stuff up to large stuff, and no cleanup needed.

i'm not a welder by trade, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last nite!!!
thanks. ill my dad needs to do some frame work on his truck too so i guess he would probably help me out and buy it
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You'll need a lot more welder than that to reliably do any type of chassis work on a 1:1.
When it comes to welding I am definitely a novice, but I did do a lot of research and talked to guys at work who are profesional welders before I bought mine. One of the things that was universal was, you get what you pay for. I ended up with a Lincoln 140, which is a decent welder, but if I was to do it over again I would have got a Miller. I welded with a friends Miller and it was really nice. The infinite adjustable voltage is a real plus.

If I were you I'd save my money for a wire feed welder.

In the end you'll have much less clean up if you braze your tubers anyway. I learned that on my current project, I tack welded the chassis and then brazed it. I spent a lot of time cleaning up welds and just a little time cleaning flux.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Sorry this is a bit late but as a Journeyman welder I hope this is not too late but that machine would be as about effective as grabbing a battery and a set of booster cables and start welding. as stated above I would save up for a MIG, look into a company called thermal arc they make a MIG TIG and Stick combo unit that would meet all your families needs and be relatively affordable. plus you wont be needing a new one in 3 months.
trwelds is offline   Reply With Quote

welder? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me choose a welder. transambill Tools, and Procedures 16 10-01-2010 10:16 PM
welder ? parker88 Tools, and Procedures 32 10-03-2008 02:40 PM
Looking for a MIG welder xjman Tools, and Procedures 9 07-18-2007 09:46 PM
Welder help Double J Tools, and Procedures 19 12-17-2006 12:11 AM
welder wheeler General Crawlers 8 05-23-2004 10:06 PM