RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   I solder everything twice (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/389890-i-solder-everything-twice.html)

DogSpoon 06-22-2012 09:34 PM

I solder everything twice

I'm not thorough, I just keep forgetting to put shrink tube on my wires before I solder them. Then I have to desolder, cool off the tip (so the shrink tube doesn't shrink over the hot ends), slip the tube over and resolder. It can't be good for my connections.

Also, pro tip: don't leave shrink tube in the hot car while you run into the hardware store. It shrinks in the heat. Duh! :oops:

you might have gathered I didn't have a good day of soldering today.

jdacus 06-22-2012 09:39 PM

Re: I solder everything twice

I too have done this a few times:roll: Just always think about what your doing before you do it. And soldering things twice isnt bad, just make sure when you are re-soldering it that the surface is not balled up with solder. Just heat it up until it flows and makes a smooth surface"thumbsup"

PFC FNG 06-23-2012 06:35 AM

Liquid Electrical Tape. You apply it after you solder. Makes life a lot less complicated. And when you are doing wiring repairs in tights spots (like inside a chassis) you dont have to figure out a way to heat the tubing without torching anything important. Just let it sit a few minutes.

AR Fabrication 06-26-2012 08:18 PM

I can't even guess how many times I've forgot to slip the heat shrink down the wire before soldering the joint. Or heating the wire too hot and it shrinks before you can slip it over the joint.

Devil Inc 06-26-2012 09:10 PM

Unfortunately that happens far too often for me too. I guess that's how I'll improve my soldering ability. LOL

Highlucks 06-26-2012 11:22 PM

Yeah I am guilty of this one too. Don't beat your self up over it."thumbsup"

greggreg2011 06-27-2012 12:19 AM

i think we have all done it more then once. i am guilty of multiple counts!!!

THX_138 06-27-2012 03:55 AM

Don't think of it as re-soldering ....

Think of it as tinning your pieces and then soldering them:mrgreen:

No harm in doing it twice..... Just be sure to clean the excess off before rejoining them.

Like many have just said, we've all done it:oops:
I have slit my shrink tube and wrapped it around with an overlap and held it with a zip tie and then put heat to it and then removed zip ties and gave it a quick covering of liquid electrical tape. It held up OK, but was probably more work then just re-soldering.

heyok 06-27-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogSpoon (Post 3790800)

Also, pro tip: don't leave shrink tube in the hot car while you run into the hardware store. It shrinks in the heat. Duh! :oops:

This reminds me of something I run into all the time.
I always seem to need to fit heat shrink over something just a little larger than the heat shrink that I have on hand. The stuff will stretch a bit. I cut the length I will need and then slide it over some closed needle nose pliers. Then I open the pliers up just enough to make the heat shrink large enough to cover my connection. Works well!

kjrell 06-28-2012 01:46 AM

+1 I'm doing this quite often too "thumbsup"

Curcal 07-12-2012 11:36 AM

I think we're all guilty of both being in a rush to finish I always seem to move the heat shrink be fore the wire is cool enough and it shrinks too early to fit over the solder joint.

buttonsHT 07-12-2012 03:30 PM

I use a can of compressed air (turn it upside down) to cool off soldered connections quickly

norcal666 07-18-2012 12:02 AM

X2 I have done this one when I'm just looking at the finished product and in a hurry.

DogSpoon 07-18-2012 06:54 AM

Haha, good to know I'm not alone. :-)

I just soldered some bullets and made extra sure to slip the shrink tube over the wire before hand, And the whole time I was extra careful not to let too much heat into the short wires and pre-shrink the tube. I only realized at the end of the job that the shrink tube slips right over the bullets anyway. Lol

binaryterror 07-18-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttonsHT (Post 3819658)
I use a can of compressed air (turn it upside down) to cool off soldered connections quickly

This can cause cold solder joints. I agree with it helping cool other things near your soldering but if you hit the joint you could be drastically reducing solders attachment and adding resistance with a cold joint.

JeremyH 07-18-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 3797641)
This reminds me of something I run into all the time.
I always seem to need to fit heat shrink over something just a little larger than the heat shrink that I have on hand. The stuff will stretch a bit. I cut the length I will need and then slide it over some closed needle nose pliers. Then I open the pliers up just enough to make the heat shrink large enough to cover my connection. Works well!

Yep, I do the same. "thumbsup"

Drail 07-18-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjrell (Post 3798974)
+1 I'm doing this quite often too "thumbsup"

yup:oops:

KMS 07-22-2012 04:51 PM

The tekin FXR is a pain to solder the motor and battery wires on ,I came up with my fix was a thin piece of alum between the post and it worked great,,Shaky old man,cant see ,and hold still ,,, KMS,,,"thumbsup"

TwentyF4rth 07-29-2012 11:21 PM

yup done that too many times....

Liquid brush on electric tape works well im too lazy to resolder

i have used 3M trim glue in a tube in the past when i didn't have liquid tape it has worked well . i've even used black silicone though not recommended for electrical use because of the slight acidity