Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Eyeball Engineering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #661
Suck it up!

Default Re: Eyeball Engineering

Steppers are model # 57hd0401-15sb, rated @ 2a and 1.8*. I think (not entirely sure) they run on 6v.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #662
Suck it up!

It is surprisingly difficult to find usable information on this damn thing. It's there, but its spread out far and wide. Cruising the mach3 forum though, I did find something out. Some Dell pc's work better than others, and those that don't work well require a smooth stepper. I think that might be the answer since the only thing that changed between the time it worked perfect and now is the pc driving it...
Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #663
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
It is surprisingly difficult to find usable information on this damn thing. It's there, but its spread out far and wide. Cruising the mach3 forum though, I did find something out. Some Dell pc's work better than others, and those that don't work well require a smooth stepper. I think that might be the answer since the only thing that changed between the time it worked perfect and now is the pc driving it...
Both same OS?

Just seems weird (to me atleast) if its all coming out the parallel port. I got a 6040 machine on its way, hoping its turn key and not all the trouble yours has put you through.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #664
Suck it up!

Same os on both.

Apparently the issue lies with either the built in pci slot or graphics card (I forget which exactly). They either work fine or they don't. I'm guessing the first pc was fine, the third was not. Has something to do with a dirty signal output.

Mach recommends to not use an on board graphics card, but finding a pc that isn't like that is kinda hard unless you want to spend extra $ for it. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to pursue one or not.

My 3020 worked perfectly out of the box. Zero complaints. My issues have been (and most likely are) all pc related.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #665
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Same os on both.

Apparently the issue lies with either the built in pci slot or graphics card (I forget which exactly). They either work fine or they don't. I'm guessing the first pc was fine, the third was not. Has something to do with a dirty signal output.

Mach recommends to not use an on board graphics card, but finding a pc that isn't like that is kinda hard unless you want to spend extra $ for it. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to pursue one or not.

My 3020 worked perfectly out of the box. Zero complaints. My issues have been (and most likely are) all pc related.

That blows.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #666
I wanna be Dave

Seems weird, mach3 has ran fine on every computer I have ever installed it on, including ones with built in graphics...

Hopefully you get it figured out...I just got my mill running....almost killed myself with the damn thing though.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #667
I wanna be Dave

Yep. Smooth Stepper essentially removes the computer and it's hardware from the equation. I run my mill from a parallel portless laptop with integrated video... I have a spare NIB ESS that I'd probably let go of if you ultimately go that direction.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #668
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Mach3 runs well on my system, but I can hear the PWM frequencies change with any on screen changes and with mouse clicking. A smoothstepper would be a good choice if you can't narrow down the problem.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #669
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Seems weird, mach3 has ran fine on every computer I have ever installed it on, including ones with built in graphics...

Hopefully you get it figured out...I just got my mill running....almost killed myself with the damn thing though.

Later EddieO
It could be that the signal is just dirty enough to play tricks on the cheap Chinese controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Yep. Smooth Stepper essentially removes the computer and it's hardware from the equation. I run my mill from a parallel portless laptop with integrated video... I have a spare NIB ESS that I'd probably let go of if you ultimately go that direction.
Awesome, you are now my SS guru.

I was in fact considering the ESS over the USS. Question though: will it go in line between the pc and my existing controller, or will I also have to pick up something like a gecko unit?

For some reason I feel like I'm asking a bunch of stupid questions because I'm not comprehending all of this properly (it's been happening a lot lately). My apologies if I am...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 07-06-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #670
I wanna be Dave

ESS and a C25

Ethernet Smooth Stepper Board, CNC4PC

C25 - Smooth Stepper Terminal Board, CNC4PC

You are looking to supply a step and direction to your drivers. Anything upstream of the drives will be replaced by these two cards save for the power supplies.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #671
Suck it up!

K. So. I would split out the drivers in my existing control box (if I want to go that route) and wire them to the terminal board.

Or....would I just get the SS and the ribbon cable with the pci end on it and plug it into the existing control box (if I want to keep the box).

A16 - LPH 26 Pin to DB 25 Ribbon Cable, CNC4PC
Old 07-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #672
Suck it up!

Or go with three of these and a new power supply...

4030 - Stepper Motor Driver, 40VDC/3A, CNC4PC

The gecko would be nice, but would swallow a big chunk of my budget. And I really don't need spindle control.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #673
I wanna be Dave

Your second option might work great. No idea on your existing electronics though...

And from everything I have read you want the ESS not the USB SS due to grounding issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #674
Suck it up!

So in my cart I have...

ESS and C25 board
5v/1a power supply for ESS
3 stepper motor drivers
36v/5.6a power supply for drivers
5 ft Cat5 cable

Anything else I need? I've got lots of shielded cabling left over to run wires with.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #675
I wanna be Dave

Why the new drivers?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #676
Suck it up!

Now that I've taken another look inside the control, I'm not. Just need a 24v power supply to run what I've got and leave the existing power supply dedicated to the spindle.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #677
Suck it up!

Ok...stuffs ordered. Now to start learning mach again...hooray for progress!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #678
I wanna be Dave

Nice! Look into the machstdmill screen set. I use the free version. Much better than the oem screens.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #679
Suck it up!

Watched some mach tutorials today, and came across something that gave me some confidence that the smoothstepper was the right decision. The diagnostics page in mach shows the current frequency, and according to the dude in the tutorial, it should be damn near rock solid. Mine isn't. It fluctuates a few hundred mhz.

I also think I got my previous scaling issues sorted, instead of drawing teeny tiny roadrunners, it's now drawing big ones (though very slowly). It's also driving my pen into the bed, but it is doing what the gcode is telling it to do, so I suppose that's fine.

Hopefully I'll have the SS by the weekend. And maybe, just maybe, I'll try cutting something. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #680
Suck it up!

More testing of patience. ESS received, but the pc isn't seeing it. Spent about an hour today combing the net and trying different troubleshooting solutions with no success.

Eyeball Engineering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rocksmith engineering D-Ride Newbie General 14 05-19-2012 11:40 PM
Engineering Question BJoe Chit Chat 14 03-04-2008 01:15 PM