Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Eyeball Engineering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #861
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Eyeball Engineering

I've heard of those guys too and that's one reason I'd never do a Kickstarter campaign.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #862
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Weekend project. Got a buddy that wants some prototypes cut on the lathe that require one end to be round. Made of scrap and super janky, but it'll get the job done. I've been wanting one of these for a long time anyway...

Pivots on the tool post, adjust radius by moving in/out in the slots?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #863
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Hey guys, quit machine talking and tell us not so machine talking guys what we are looking at and what it does!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #864
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Close. It's bolted in place of the compound rest, which swivels on the cross slide. It's a little sloppy, but it spins.

Yes, moving in/out adjusts the radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey guys, quit machine talking and tell us not so machine talking guys what we are looking at and what it does!!!
Ernie
It allows you to make radius cuts. Example:

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #865
I wanna be Dave

One video is worth a 1000 words. Makes perfect sense now! Very cool tool, thanks for taking the time to share with us!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #866
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Close. It's bolted in place of the compound rest, which swivels on the cross slide. It's a little sloppy, but it spins.

Yes, moving in/out adjusts the radius.
Nice. All I could think of somehow was the Beatles while watching the video, all the while thinking you were machining something used as a prop in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #867
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
The keybar guy is a bit of a douche from what I am told. He ripped off the keybar idea from a forum post he saw, played dumb and turned it into a big business.

Many use kickstarter not for the risk factor, but simply because its a cheap source to gain publicity on a product since thousands view it daily to buy stuff...a lot of them now have goals of like $2000....but end up bringing in $200,000, as its just an advertising medium for many at this point. The danger of kickstarter now, is the chinese just camp it and steal product ideas....crap there is even a canadian guy doing it now. (there is an article out there about his business stealing ideas from kickstarter).

Later EddieO

All valid points, but ideas come down to execution and implementation.

If you really think you've got something, you can file for a provisionary patent place holder (that's what I refer to it, not the real technical term) for under $200, and technically, your idea is "patent pending." That's what I would do if I had something where there truly is unique intellectual property before going on kickstarter.

If the idea is just a reformulation of another idea, Kickstarter is still far and away the cheapest, lowest risk way to get your product to market, assuming you have all your ducks in a row and need just additional capital. One example may be having a part you can easily machine, but you intend to have injection molded. You'll need the money to amortize the cost of r&d of the injection molded part.

If you are just out to test the waters and not lose any money, Kickstarter is again, far and away the most effective advertising and funding source. A short 30 day campaign is really not enough time for anyone else to take your idea and bring it to market to take a slice of your pie.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #868
Suck it up!

Had a member ask if I could make a 1/8" dimple die. I pointed him to one I found online, then later realized that they really don't make very scale looking dimples. They're made to countersink aircraft rivets and make a huge dimple. So I decided to try and make my own. Way too bulky, but it's the scrap I had on hand. Aluminum with tool steel guide rod.

Dimple in 22ga sheet metal.

Some smaller rod showed up today, so if I get the chance this weekend I'll make some needed changes and whip up a few for sale. Quantity depends on how many broken 1/8" endmill shanks I've got laying around.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #869
I wanna be Dave

Patents do nothing with the chinese....they don't care and even at 30 days, they can and will often beat you to the market....they have gone to even youtube now, watched videos of people developing products, and ripped them off within days...look up Magnus, guy making spinners....he showed a prototype of one, days later it was on a chinese site for order....and they are already shipping them to people.

Beyond that, not everything is something you can put a patent on. The above product, good luck. It would never survive muster even if it was luckily approved, provisionary patents are basically worthless as well for a product like this, as they only last a year and you still need to actually get a patent to enforce it.

While kickstarter has its uses....it is simply turning into a market place for many. The Keybar guy doesn't need the capital, has his own Haas machine and such. He is using it simply for the publicity to sell it...and its working.

Here is his campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ing-pen-holder .... $1000 goal? yet already 15k+ in pledges...did he really need $1000? Or did he just want cheap views to sell a bunch of product?

And KS is hardly a way to "not lose any money"....there have been numerous instances where people have lost their ass by getting in over their head...and not being able to produce what was promised at the price they set or in the timeline.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #870
I wanna be Dave

PM Sent
Quote:
Had a member ask if I could make a 1/8" dimple die. I pointed him to one I found online, then later realized that they really don't make very scale looking dimples. They're made to countersink aircraft rivets and make a huge dimple. So I decided to try and make my own. Way too bulky, but it's the scrap I had on hand. Aluminum with tool steel guide rod.

Dimple in 22ga sheet metal.

Some smaller rod showed up today, so if I get the chance this weekend I'll make some needed changes and whip up a few for sale. Quantity depends on how many broken 1/8" endmill shanks I've got laying around.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #871
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Patents do nothing with the chinese....they don't care and even at 30 days, they can and will often beat you to the market....they have gone to even youtube now, watched videos of people developing products, and ripped them off within days...look up Magnus, guy making spinners....he showed a prototype of one, days later it was on a chinese site for order....and they are already shipping them to people.

Beyond that, not everything is something you can put a patent on. The above product, good luck. It would never survive muster even if it was luckily approved, provisionary patents are basically worthless as well for a product like this, as they only last a year and you still need to actually get a patent to enforce it.

While kickstarter has its uses....it is simply turning into a market place for many. The Keybar guy doesn't need the capital, has his own Haas machine and such. He is using it simply for the publicity to sell it...and its working.

Here is his campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ing-pen-holder .... $1000 goal? yet already 15k+ in pledges...did he really need $1000? Or did he just want cheap views to sell a bunch of product?

And KS is hardly a way to "not lose any money"....there have been numerous instances where people have lost their ass by getting in over their head...and not being able to produce what was promised at the price they set or in the timeline.

Later EddieO
All good points, and on his pencil holder, just skip the skateboard bearing, it's base is round and it sits on a desk...therefor it can spin on the desk instead of holding the base with one hand and spinning the top half with the other hand, but to each their own. I like coffee cups for pencil holders.

Hey Duuuuuuuuuude, you've got nice dimples!

Seriously though, keep the good ideas coming.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #872
Suck it up!

Jammed all weekend to get my paying gig done ahead of schedule. The diy ball turner did it's job, but it's got some glaring issues that'll need resolved. The final pass takes two hands to steady it so that it's not flopping all over the place. Still, it chewed through everything I put in front of it without skipping a beat, so I can't complain too much.

Finished product. I'll show more when they're officially released.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #873
Suck it up!

They've gone public, so here's the rest of the pics. If you can't quite tell by looking, it's a bomb shaped fidget toy.

They were a fun project (made 10 of them), and if they sell as expected I'll be making more. In the mean time, I'll be overhauling and modding the lathe. Apart from basic cleaning, I haven't done anything to it since I got it.

To do list:

Gears and bearings for the headstock. While I haven't had any issues, the stock gears are plastic. LMS sells a full metal set, but I kind of see the benefit to having a cheap weak link if there were to be a bad crash. Running the thing for a few hours gets the headstock noticeably warm, so I may tear it down and toss in some tapered roller bearings. I've read that it makes a marked improvement.

Tighten up the carriage. I can snug the ways up to diminish up/down movement, but under load it will still twist quite a bit. I've got some ideas, just need to engineer the shit out of them.

Motorized compound rest. Turning a taper on multiple parts with a tiny 2" crank blows goats and puts a wicked nasty cramp in the ol' pimp hand. I'm thinking a simple spur/pinion setup powered by a crawler motor might do the trick. If it works, I may apply the same treatment to the cross slide.

Rebuild the radius tool. More adjustment, smoother and tighter action. It'll most likely involve a bearing of some sort.

Boring bars. Mine suck. Even when sharpened they suck. I need to find a small one that uses triangle inserts.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #874
RCC Addict

Man if it were shaped like a bomb my wife could use them with her special ed kids at work. But where's the link to buy?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #875
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Man if it were shaped like a bomb my wife could use them with her special ed kids at work. But where's the link to buy?
I'm not personally selling them, they were made for a friend of mine that makes spinners and edc stuff. I'll pm you the info.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #876
Suck it up!

'bout ta get some power feed up in this bitch.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #877
Yashua

Nice red clamp .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #878
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Nice red clamp .
Thanks. Not sure where it was made, but it works well enough.

V2, because V1 broke.

V2 is actually a working assembly, though I did learn a couple things when I fired it up. First, it needs more reduction. Second, I'm not sure what wind the motor is, but 3s is much too much for it. A quick hit of juice and it slammed the compound forward, maxed it out, and jammed it up. Luckily the spur let loose of the shaft, so it wasn't too terribly hard to free up and reset. I'm going to dig through all of my parts bins and weigh my options.

In other news, a few of the F-bombs went to auction yesterday and were a massive hit.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #879
No idea what I'm doing

Do you have some sort of variable speed wired in, or just a forward/reverse switch?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #880
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Do you have some sort of variable speed wired in, or just a forward/reverse switch?
Right now it's neither, but both options are standing by. If I can get away with just a momentary switch, I'll keep it simple and go that way. If not, I've got a spare esc and rx/tx that could handle control duties.

Found this stashed away last night. 5 pole brushed motor with 500:1 reduction. Big and heavy, but on 12v the business end seems to turn at an acceptably slow pace. Doubt I'll need to worry about bogging it down.

Eyeball Engineering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rocksmith engineering D-Ride Newbie General 14 05-19-2012 11:40 PM
Engineering Question BJoe Chit Chat 14 03-04-2008 01:15 PM