Notices

Thread: Shop Holmes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Shop Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Here's a little sneak peek at a part that myself and Don Eidson have codesign together.

Been a whirlwind at the shop between the machine and custom motors. I'm trying to get a new manager into HH to give myself and Jonathan more time for hardware and software design. I think I've got a good enough grasp on motors to focus on in house controller engineering again. Now I can revisit some commutation schemes that other companies won't attempt!
Quote:
It's a single piece spool with a sliding lockring. Takes a fraction more time to make, but will reap rewards in strength and keep pressure off the screws for folks running od/ud gears. Material used is a wash vs a regular two peice because we have less part off and facing waste.
That spool is hot! Need to make it in standard length too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #262
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I've already made a bin of regulars, the extended is exact to wraith length, and I will probably make a few double XL to clear shafts past a slipper cover or gear.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #263
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Where do I get an application? Seriously.
Quote:
A resume is the first step!

Took care of that for ya:

rob_b's Resume 2015
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

It's been very cool to see your growth over the past few years, mostly due to your constant updating on where you are at as a manufacturer and where you want to be.

Totally separate topic, whatever happened to your 'fo runner? Did you ever get the rusted front end taken apart?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It's been very cool to see your growth over the past few years, mostly due to your constant updating on where you are at as a manufacturer and where you want to be.

Totally separate topic, whatever happened to your 'fo runner? Did you ever get the rusted front end taken apart?

Thanks BigSki! I try to share as much as possible, but much of it is either under Non Disclosure agreements or I'm just too busy making/doing to remember to document and take photos.

I've tried to continuously set goals and evaluate them every few months. It seems to really help keep things focused even though it seems like I'm getting pulled in 10 directions at once. Here's where I'm sitting right now for my own workload:

1 week goals:
Hire new HH customer service manager
Finish a UAV motor batch
Record a tech vid on brushed motors
Write some code for a brushed/ brushless winch/motor/accessory controller

1 month goals:
Ensure the new RC ORVA website is enabled
Prepare or begin training for new customer service manager
Finish media releases for current TrailMaster, TorqueMaster, and Puller Pro products
Announce RCCA Worlds event details

3 month goals:
prototype some top secret products
have previously mentioned controller firmware completed
Tear down some walls and rearrange the production area
clean out or effectively organize my moped corner of the shop
Hire additional worker for Holmes Motion Control

Etc, etc, etc...

The rusty old fo'coma got sent to a professional shop to get fixed up. I was tired of spending hours getting hardly anywhere and it was an eyesore in the driveway. Just got it back on Friday with fresh brakes, front lockers, new steering and balljoints, and some other little fixes to make it nice and reliable. I got some cool news at the Flat Nasty G6 this weekend about a new upcoming 35" tire from Pit Bull that is making me consider some axle gears and rims. The business just bought it so that I actually have a dedicated work truck and it needs new tires anyway. Seeing how it would now be a business expense I can spend a bit more because of the tax offset.

Gonna go wheel big and little trucks at the farm in just a few minutes
Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #266

Spent some time on lighter lockrings today. I like sexy parts. I'll have to make the light uni just as good looking!
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #267

Here is another shot of the tranny spool, stock length. Collaboration between Don Eidson and myself on the concept, I did all programming and machining on the Mazak. Just put a batch through the tumbler on Friday so we will take photos and put them for sale in raw finish Monday. The 4340 chromo is very rust resistant for being untreated steel.

I had a few more interviews last week and hired a fellow to take over Jonathans role in the office. Justin starts in a little under two weeks and is already familiar with electric motors and systems, although not into the R/C hobby at this time. He builds custom scooters and is technically inclined but has no heavy fabrication experience. Doesn't matter for customer service rep position though. We will set up an engineering desk for Jonathan and his first big task is to finish out the polish and back end of rcORVA.com.

I also put together an offer on the shop this week, as I have been renting it but wanting to own for my long term security. The city pegs my business as "heavy industrial manufacturing", which my current location provides zoning for. I know what the owner paid, and I am offering a pretty solid price for them plus first right of refusal in case of sale. If the sale goes through I'm gutting the place! Shop wide air lines, tear down some walls, move compressors and air filters to another room, I'm ready...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #268

Looking back through the thread (and grumbling while I wait for my worker to relink old images) I realize I've almost had the Mazak for a year now. Wow, time goes fast!

This past week I decided to discontinue all OEM and ODM work that isn't already on our plate, basically no new business unless it is aerospace. Between one aerospace contract and making drivetrain/motor parts I keep Holmes Motion Control busy enough. We did have two more companies contact us last week about aerospace motors, evidently my name is getting around as the place to get weird stuff made that others won't touch.

At this point I don't really work for Holmes Hobbies in a large capacity. I engineer stuff, work with other factories, and pay the bills. Otherwise the 6 guys I have working there take care of business and just ask me when big questions come up. My current tasks for HH are to redo the sensored outrunner for consistent manufacturing, and to work with the servo motor factory to make their parts better. In a nutshell, I've got to teach other factories what quality controls is, or adjust our designs to make up for their lack of attention.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Keep kicking a$$ JRH!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #270

pics are back up! Whoever rated my thread two stars, you can suck it because my shop is awesome and I have pics again to prove it
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #271
I wanna be Dave

I don't always rate threads, but when I do, it's because it kicks that much ass. Five stars from me...
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #272
RCC Addict

Quote:
We did have two more companies contact us last week about aerospace motors, evidently my name is getting around as the place to get weird stuff made that others won't touch.
It's funny you say that because every time I think about the motors driving electric cars, I think of the potential they might be missing out on that you could eek out. You genuinely inspire me.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #273

I have a design for a 308mm motor that I've been sitting on, it is automotive size. Femm analysis shows a peak efficiency of about 94%, so in the real world we could estimate about 91% because of drive harmonics. The nicest hobby motors rarely break 85%, most are mid 70s.

Right now the design is permanent magnet, but in the future I foresee switched reluctance styles overtaking because they have no magnets to install and heat limited only by the copper insulation. Matter o fact, I've been scheming on a switched reluctance motor for the RC cars too. The biggest hurdle is the low low low inductance, it is hard on controllers. The advantage is no inherent kv. Unlimited rpms ay any voltage until the controller can't go faster.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Hey John, would it be possible to post a drawing of the 550 brushed motor with basic dimensions like can length, diameter, shaft length? All of my stuff is buried and inaccessible ATM.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #275

I don't have any 550 motors to measure!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #276
I wanna be Dave

My mistake, I meant to type 540. Your beautiful Torque Masters that I continue to abuse !
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #277

Seems I don't have measures on the site any longer. 36mm diameter, 52mm long body, 1/8" shaft diameter, and shaft length is probably 15mm long from can face.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #278
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Seems I don't have measures on the site any longer. 36mm diameter, 52mm long body, 1/8" shaft diameter, and shaft length is probably 15mm long from can face.
Thanks for taking the time to answer this!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #279

Ran some suspension parts for another company and started prototyping aluminum moped nipples at the end of the day since the machine was basically set up for em. It's been on my bucket list since the beginning, almost had the lathe a year now!
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #280

Can't remember how to embed YouTube today, here's the link instead.

Made a power wheel jeep radio controlled , if you follow us on Instagram or facebook you will have seen my workers updates. Here is a vid of me riding it around

http://youtu.be/i0WLjMjdNx8

Steering is a servo power gearbox from servo city. Coupled it with a prototype servo I'm testing, about 600 ounce inch really fast jigger. It is mounted to the frame with some cross bars that are welded into the stock frame. No bec, straight off the brxl and hasn't shut down yet!

Stock motors. Just smoked one Friday , perfect reason to upgrade the drive.

Torquemaster brxl esc powering the motors. Runs 180f hot with me on it, just fine pushing my son around though. Typically doesn't get above 140f with him.

Lithium iron 20v 20ah pack. Should be between 400 and 600 minutes of runtime with my son, depends on speed and surface. That's with stock motors, some new ones will probably increase runtime.

On Friday I took it out to be my golf caddy, good testing on the esc and servo system. Right before leaving, one motor brush fell out rendering it one wheel drive. I decided to roll with it, and after 10 holes of golf the remaining motor caught fire. I have some 775 size motors on the way, but also have plenty of ebike hubmotors laying around that could be used. Because of the really noisy stock gearboxes, I'm leaning towards the hubmotors. Probably install the replacement brushed motors short term, and build a rear solid axle with brushless hubmotors to swap in ASAP. Needs a bit of articulation to keep traction anyway. Four link rear I guess !?!?!

This will probably be my most expensive toy project for 2015. Gonna make it look good once electronics are solid.
Attached Images

Shop Holmes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to shop???????? KNIFE Newbie General 21 08-11-2010 02:08 PM
Who wants a shop near Kc blazin396 Missouri 6 07-23-2010 11:47 AM
Where to shop Jigsisme Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 09-03-2009 11:02 AM
who knows this Shop ecodriver Tamiya Clod Buster 0 01-03-2008 12:49 PM