Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Got a Micro Mark mill today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Got a Micro Mark mill today!

I'll get some pics later, I got back about an hour ago from picking it up. It's the newest model, the one that has a R8 spindle. The machine is about 1 year old, the guy found out that he needed something bigger for production work. It's in really good shape, it could use a new set of bellows and one gib lock handle, but other than that it's all good.

I just joined the 'unemployed' ranks again, so this was money I didn't want to spend but it was too good of a deal to pass it up.

Here's some pics. I spent a few hours mounting it to the shelf that used to hold up the blast cabinet then trammed the head. This was harder than a big Bridgeport, just tightening the big nut in the back would move it around .004

I think it was a good buy, I got the t-nut kit, a full set of collets, a set of fly cutters and a few misc. parts with it. Now I need to find a decent, affordable vise.

Last edited by BigSki; 08-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Got a Micro Mark mill today!

Looks good! My friend has the "little machine shop" edition we are CNC converting and they are nice mills i just don't like the tilting head personally.

Don't get a cheap drill press vise... they absolutely suck for what you want to do... believe me . I know a 4" vise will fit "length wise" on the table, may take some step clamps to hold it down but it will fit. Should be more than big enough for most work
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Looks good! My friend has the "little machine shop" edition we are CNC converting and they are nice mills i just don't like the tilting head personally.

Don't get a cheap drill press vise... they absolutely suck for what you want to do... believe me . I know a 4" vise will fit "length wise" on the table, may take some step clamps to hold it down but it will fit. Should be more than big enough for most work
Thanks. I'm eyeing up the 3" precision mill vise from littlemachineshop.com I have a few little brackets that I want to make right away but I need to get some sort of DRO on it before I take on a decent project. I want to build a transfer case. I know that there are some great choices out there already, but nothing beats the feeling of making something yourself.

Last edited by BigSki; 08-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sweet score! I have been thinking of building a jig to help tram the head on my Taig. Maybe some triangulated stiffeners on the column with fine adjustment screws or something.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Thanks. I'm eyeing up the 3" precision mill vise from littlemachineshop.com I have a few little brackets that I want to make right away but I need to get some sort of DRO on it before I take on a decent project. I want to build a transfer case. I know that there are some great choices out there already, but nothing beats the feeling of making something yourself.
That works, long as you can hold your parts and not turn the mill into a pitching machine (done that before )

I hear you on DIY... some is best left to the experts and some well... is cool DYI
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sweet score! I have been thinking of building a jig to help tram the head on my Taig. Maybe some triangulated stiffeners on the column with fine adjustment screws or something.
I think it was $400 well spent. I like your idea about the column adjusting screws. I was thinking about a bracket of sorts with a "T" pin passing through a bushing to lock it in place, I haven't looked that closely at it to see if it would even be possible. I could just buy the $12 quill adapter and use the indicator on it.

Got a Micro Mark mill today! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro mark sale!! Elastokinematic Tools, and Procedures 1 06-25-2011 05:34 PM
Micro mark sale!! Elastokinematic Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 06-25-2011 11:44 AM
Took my crawlers out to Ficklen Mill today. Lots of pics. salteen Virginia 11 12-15-2010 09:05 AM
Micro mill bits? john alardin Tools, and Procedures 6 01-12-2009 09:09 AM
Hit the Century mark today!! Link Chit Chat 5 03-17-2007 10:53 AM