Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Help me identify these bits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Help me identify these bits

So these bits came with my lathe a while back. I had a buddy over to give me the break down on basics with my mill and lathe. Showed him these bits, and asked what they were for, and he said they werent for my machine. They were for a bigger mill, not a lathe. They apparently are worth a few bucks.

What do I have here, and what are they worth? I wanna sell em off and put some $$ towards other projects

Any help is appreciated

x1 of these

x20 of these(2 - 10 packs)

x9 of these

x6 of these

x10 of these
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me identify these bits

indexable cutters.

the gold colored ones have a tin coating on them.

do you have the holders?
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

most of those, new, would cost around $20 each. Best bet is to put them on ebay, where you'll likely get much less for them. Im unfamiliar with the top ones-- the stellram and famet ones are very common in 45* face mills. The kennametal is for a 90* roughing mill. We burn through a few boxes of those a week. A turning/facing holder is probably available that use a few of those sizes, but whether it would be worthwhile or not is up to you. Many of them could make nice flycutter inserts as well.
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
most of those, new, would cost around $20 each. Best bet is to put them on ebay, where you'll likely get much less for them. Im unfamiliar with the top ones-- the stellram and famet ones are very common in 45* face mills. The kennametal is for a 90* roughing mill. We burn through a few boxes of those a week. A turning/facing holder is probably available that use a few of those sizes, but whether it would be worthwhile or not is up to you. Many of them could make nice flycutter inserts as well.
Have your boss make Chris an offer!!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No holders for em.

What do you think they're worth?
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Have your boss make Chris an offer!!
eh, not those SPECIFIC inserts, we use the seco brand 12mm-- most of these companies vary the mount surface just enough to make them incompatible with other inserts. We also use them exclusively in stainless, and have not had good luck with TIN based coatings

otherwise, with how close we are, i'd suggest it. The company I work for used to be just down the road from scappoose

as far as worth, look the numbers up on ebay. There's bound to be a few identical sets, to compare pricing to- and you'll likely get the best price there.

Last edited by rlockwood; 08-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The first one goes in a kennemetal "top notch" holder and is for a lathe.The holders are spendy and that insert will only work with that holder.
The second and third ones are for old school face mills and are nearly worthless as they aren't used much anymore.
The forth one is for a kennemetal endmill that personally I don't think works very well in any material,but the inserts are about $15.00 a piece.
The last one is also for a older style face mill and not a lot of shops use them anymore.

Your best bet is to go to some shops and ask if they will buy them from you or craig's list them.

You could of course make your own holders and use all of them on a lathe if you have the time and skills.

Last edited by Cave Dave; 08-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
The first one goes in a kennemetal "top notch" holder and is for a lathe.The holders are spendy and that insert will only work with that holder.
The second and third ones are for old school face mills and are nearly worthless as they aren't used much anymore.
The forth one is for a kennemetal endmill that personally I don't think works very well in any material,but the inserts are about $15.00 a piece.
The last one is also for a older style face mill and not a lot of shops use them anymore.

Your best bet is to go to some shops and ask if they will buy them from you or craig's list them.

You could of course make your own holders and use all of them on a lathe if you have the time and skills.

He hit the nail on the head!

If all else fails and you can't sell or trade them off you can always sell them off as scrap. Carbide is going for around $9.00 a pound here in H-Town.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me identify these bits - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pile of bits!! chrisring Axial Wraith 4 07-15-2012 01:50 AM
Dremel bits demonoid369 Tools, and Procedures 9 04-22-2011 04:23 AM
Hex Bits? Fattymojo Tools, and Procedures 4 06-26-2010 06:24 AM