Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: finally made a part w/ the mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default finally made a part w/ the mill

I've been farting around w/ a modified SCX-10 chassis that I've converted to leaf springs. I'm using rc4wd scale 'Yota axles, so I narrowed the chassis for the leaf springs to line up with it. I attempted to make a rear cross member tonight.

It fits nice and snug, but I definitely need more time to learn this little machine, I completely screwed up in a few spots while trying to use the .050 dials on the feed handles. The 'Z' axis fine feed screw has way toooo much backlash in it, I have to figure out how to compensate for it and apparently I've forgotten how to count as well.

Here's a few horror pics.

One part that I made on the lathe turned out well. I made a stepped bushing for the front shackle pivot point, then brazed it in place from the rear. It seems pretty stout.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: finally made a part w/ the mill

I think you have a LMS mill dont you, or one of the seig variants at least? I have the LMS High Speed Mini Mill and it is an awesome little machine for what it is. Not sure what the problem would be with backlash in the Z fine feed, mine has about 1/4 of a rotation and it is no problem.

I put some Grizzly DRO's on mine and they are great (and cheap!), got all three for somewhere around $100 a couple bolts and some time figuring out how to mount them and now the machine is dialed.

Looks good for your first part!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It's a Micro Mark. DRO's would be nice ( and helpful) but they are far off in the future. I'd honestly rather have a larger machine but this is what I can work with for right now, so I'm going to figure it out and get the most that I can from it.

The Z feed is odd. The large 3 spoke handle has a clutch on it. If the lever is pulled away from the machine ( clutch disengaged) you use the handle like a drill press. If the handle is pushed towards the machine ( clutch engaged) you turn the little finger wheel to move Z up or down. This thing has at least a 1/2 of turn of backlash, and it the gib lock isn't lightly applied, the head will vibrate down into your work piece. ( ask me how I know this......)

I'm happy to have this machine, it's not a bad little machine. I just have to get used to it and learn how to make it do what I want it to do.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Smile Re: finally made a part w/ the mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It's a Micro Mark. DRO's would be nice ( and helpful) but they are far off in the future. I'd honestly rather have a larger machine but this is what I can work with for right now, so I'm going to figure it out and get the most that I can from it.

The Z feed is odd. The large 3 spoke handle has a clutch on it. If the lever is pulled away from the machine ( clutch disengaged) you use the handle like a drill press. If the handle is pushed towards the machine ( clutch engaged) you turn the little finger wheel to move Z up or down. This thing has at least a 1/2 of turn of backlash, and it the gib lock isn't lightly applied, the head will vibrate down into your work piece. ( ask me how I know this......)

I'm happy to have this machine, it's not a bad little machine. I just have to get used to it and learn how to make it do what I want it to do.
My friend has the "Little Machine Shop" version and its nice but... i HATEEEE the rack and pinion Z axis. It is a painfully slow CNC conversion but I would think with some ingenuity and your mill... you could rig a simple screw feed for the Z-axis. Good 1/2-20 screw and some time and you got something way better than the rack and pinion. Great idea on paper, sucks in real life

Nice work tho! With a little time and fiddling you can work around most issues in a machine. Just don't expect it to do what the Fadal VMC-15 I work with at my school job to do... it is in a league of its own
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

Mine is the same way but you should be locking the z before making your cut anyways. I think adjusting the gib screws on the z axis would probably help you out also, I have mine set so there is a slight drag on it, helps while feeding down into material. They do work themselves loose over time also.

Dont get me wrong I would love a bigger machine but its about the biggest I can go with the space I have. Its currently in my spare bedroom along with my TIG and other fab stuff because I dont have a garage haha.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
My friend has the "Little Machine Shop" version and its nice but... i HATEEEE the rack and pinion Z axis. It is a painfully slow CNC conversion but I would think with some ingenuity and your mill... you could rig a simple screw feed for the Z-axis. Good 1/2-20 screw and some time and you got something way better than the rack and pinion. Great idea on paper, sucks in real life

Nice work tho! With a little time and fiddling you can work around most issues in a machine. Just don't expect it to do what the Fadal VMC-15 I work with at my school job to do... it is in a league of its own
I agree that with some work the little machine could be decent, but I'd rather tweek a slightly bigger and more robust mill. I can't stand the tilt column on the MM mill, it needs constant tramming no matter how tight I make the lock nut. LMS offers a rigid column conversion, but I honestly can't see the point in spending another $200 for this mill, no matter what gets done to it, in the end it's still a tiny mill. It suites my immediate needs, and I'm only into it for what it would bring on the open market so I won't take much of a loss with it right now.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Suck it up!

They all take some work to get them set up right. I've been fiddling with my manual mill for a few months now and it just keeps getting better.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Yashua

Your first project is great , you have no idea how much fun your gonna have .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Your first project is great , you have no idea how much of a mess you're going to make .
Fixed it.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Yashua

That too . He'll love delrin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Fixed it.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Oh yeah, plastic is a blast.

Speaking of which....Bigski, did you ever get ahold of some plastic to make a fixture with?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Your first project is great , you have no idea how much fun your gonna have .
damn it, I lost the reply somewhere between the 2 tabs I have I opened so I can post pics.

Both of you guys are right, right now there's al-lou-mini-um chips and shavings covering the floor. The ole' lady doesn't seem the rumor in it.

Duuuude, funny that you asked about the indexing fixture, I came u with an even cheaper idea today, best of all- it worked pretty well!

Is it perfect? not really. But it pretty darn close and it fits inside of that chassis like it's supposed to.

Here's something else I made tonight.

I realized that the stupid little degree wheel was missing off of the 'Y' axis, so I had to do something to keep track of where I was at. I screwed down a small steel plate and rigged up a magnetic base dial indicator. It worked so well I'm buying another one and set it up for 'X'.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Suck it up!

I was gonna say...I got ahold of some more of that white plastic. I'd be happy to put some in a box and send it your way if you want it.

Ever thought about those inexpensive dro's?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I was gonna say...I got ahold of some more of that white plastic. I'd be happy to put some in a box and send it your way if you want it.

Ever thought about those inexpensive dro's?
DRO's are high up on the 'want' list, right now the dial indicators would actually do ok for me. Thanks for the offer for the plastic. Is it sheet material of solid stock?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Yup. I haven't measured it properly yet, but its roughly 1"+ thick in roughly 6" wide chunks.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It can't hurt to have a bit of that on hand. PM me your PP info, I'll send you some funds to cover the postage.

finally made a part w/ the mill - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I have finally made a choice smokediver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 03-01-2010 09:13 PM
Finally made the switch constantmotion EnRoute Berg 23 09-02-2008 01:04 PM
Finally made it over to the Darkside RXcrawler Tamiya Clod Buster 28 02-04-2008 05:43 AM
Finally Made A Servo Mount RCALLOYS Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 10-28-2004 09:05 PM