RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   CNC Drag Knife (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/416470-cnc-drag-knife.html)

C*H*U*D 12-06-2012 11:52 AM

CNC Drag Knife

This may not be of use to many, but I thought someone might find it interesting.

I've wanted a CNC Drag Knife for quite awhile. I figured it would come in handy for cutting thin plastic and paint masks on my mill. Most I've seen are in the $100 range, and the replacement blades are about $15.

Then I found this website and thought this was just what I wanted. Something a bit heavier for cutting thicker materials with an inexpensive blade:

Drag Knifer for CNC routerDonek Tools

Unfortunately he wants $230 for one :cry:. I searched around and found this forum where someone made their own (scroll down a bit for a picture of what I found for inspiration):

Vectric Forum • View topic - Knives to cut foam core board?

I fired up the Prototrak during lunch and made one for myself. I wanted the blade at 60 degrees, so mine is a bit different. I'll be trying it out over the weekend. Most are spring loaded and use ball bearings, but mine does not. I'm not worried about the spring too much, and I can unhook my motor from my spindle and it turns freely.:

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/r.../dragknife.jpg

BigSki 12-06-2012 05:29 PM

Re: CNC Drag Knife

so it's sorta like a plotter cutter? When I worked at Middle River Aircraft Systems, they had a CNC plotter for cutting the pre-preg carbon fiber. the cutting blade looked like a HD exacto knife.

Nice work on the machining."thumbsup"

C*H*U*D 12-06-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 4051020)
so it's sorta like a plotter cutter?

Pretty much the same idea. I've been wanting to cut thicker styrene with a consistent result, so I decided on doing it on the mill. The girlfriend is gone for the weekend, so I have a bit of time to play downstairs.

BigSki 12-07-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4051233)
Pretty much the same idea. I've been wanting to cut thicker styrene with a consistent result, so I decided on doing it on the mill.

"thumbsup"

I've wanted to build some type of cutting rig that was based on an old drafting table, something with guides for the X and Y movement.

Duuuuuuuude 12-07-2012 01:20 PM

Whats the spindle speed on that puppy?

C*H*U*D 12-07-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 4052469)
Whats the spindle speed on that puppy?

Zero

Duuuuuuuude 12-07-2012 01:52 PM

Well that's no fun at all. :cry:

That is a pretty nifty idea though. I might have to make one too. What gets placed underneath the material you are cutting?

C*H*U*D 12-07-2012 02:01 PM

I'll probably use a large sheet of plastic. I've seen some people use wood or laminate. As long as it's flat, it should work.

rangercat23 12-07-2012 02:02 PM

Oh that's sweet, I used to have a sticker cutting machine that had a miniature version of yours.

keithstanley 11-25-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4050503)
This may not be of use to many, but I thought someone might find it interesting.

I've wanted a CNC Drag Knife for quite awhile. I figured it would come in handy for cutting thin plastic and paint masks on my mill. Most I've seen are in the $100 range, and the replacement blades are about $15.

Then I found this website and thought this was just what I wanted. Something a bit heavier for cutting thicker materials with an inexpensive blade:

Drag Knifer for CNC routerDonek Tools

Unfortunately he wants $230 for one :cry:. I searched around and found this forum where someone made their own (scroll down a bit for a picture of what I found for inspiration):

Vectric Forum • View topic - Knives to cut foam core board?

I fired up the Prototrak during lunch and made one for myself. I wanted the blade at 60 degrees, so mine is a bit different. I'll be trying it out over the weekend. Most are spring loaded and use ball bearings, but mine does not. I'm not worried about the spring too much, and I can unhook my motor from my spindle and it turns freely.:

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/r.../dragknife.jpg

I too need a Dragknife and I too found the Donek item but living in the UK there is shipping costs and import tax AND Value Added Tax!!!! so I need to find a solution like you have. How did it work out?
Thanks

richard westerfield 04-19-2014 07:56 PM

can this knife be used for engraving on brass ?
thank you
Richard Westerfield
richwest70@gmail.com

wings_of_fire 04-19-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard westerfield (Post 4751019)
can this knife be used for engraving on brass ?

No. The knife does not have an rpm and cannot achieve the cutting mechanics of engraving.

You will need this
Anatomy of an Engraving Cutter

C*H*U*D 04-20-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wings_of_fire (Post 4751257)
No. The knife does not have an rpm and cannot achieve the cutting mechanics of engraving.

You will need this
Anatomy of an Engraving Cutter

Correct. This is designed to be dragged along with the blade cutting the material...much like the wheels of a shopping cart follows the direction you push it in.

They also have spring loaded, diamond point engraving tools like this:

Diamond Drag Engraving Bit for CNC Machines - Use Your CNC Machine to Engrave Metal, Plastic, Glass, and Granite - WidgetWorks Unlimited

wings_of_fire 04-21-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4751406)

Never used or herd about diamond drag engraving until now. That is nice.Thanks, learnt something new"thumbsup"