Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: CNC Router/Mill by Shapeoko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CNC Router/Mill by Shapeoko

My girl and I have really been looking at buying a CNC router lately. I plan on turning out some custom parts on a single-order basis, and turning out my own custom work. I already have a bunch of plans for projects of mine in CAD, ready to go. The price of having the parts cut has always lead to hand-made versions, that I'm never quite satisfied with. For the price of having a few of my parts cut I can buy the highest priced model they have here.

Does anybody have any experience with these mills, or ones similar?

https://www.inventables.com/technolo...-kits-shapeoko

I'm not looking to do large parts. Just chassis components and stuff out of flat plate. I don't plan on doing any real metal work, just plastics and maybe a little carbon. Will this mill cut it, or should I be looking for something else?
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CNC Router/Mill by Shapeoko

Looks like it uses a dremel for the cutter. I would leave that one alone. Try to find one you can attach a router to.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The majority of the ones I've seen use some variant of a dremel for the powered spindle. You think I'll need something stronger for doing plastics and composites? You have a link to an example you prefer?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Take a look at this one
Thinking about buying
mustangboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Check out zen bot cnc routers. They look pretty well made and can use regular routers as a spindle unit.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboy_347 View Post
Take a look at this one
Thinking about buying
That's a nice piece of equipment there! Am I gonna have to be worried about what brand I buy and replacement parts? Are you able to find the majority of the parts needed through industrial supply houses, or do I have to watch for certain brands so I can get parts down the road?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Was looking at this guy as well.

FireBall X90 CNC Router -

I don't really feel that I need the lathe function as I plan to buy a separate unit for turning parts.

Crawling Calvin- Good call on the Zenbot machines! They look like a really nice piece of machinery as well. Their table sizes are a little small for the price, but very well thought out. I'm shooting for a budget of under $900, with a few tools to play with. I know I can play with the setup on most of them by laying down cardboard and rigging up a mount for a permanent marker.

CNC Routers
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

I've looked into them several times, if I were to get one, this is the one I'd get.

CNC Routers Desktop router robust industrial quality
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
The majority of the ones I've seen use some variant of a dremel for the powered spindle. You think I'll need something stronger for doing plastics and composites? You have a link to an example you prefer?
Yes, I think you will need a Router instead of a Rotary Tool for the spindle.

I prefer the Romaxx in the link Jason posted below. I run an HS-1 with a Bosch router, cutting mostly delrin and carbon fiber. Have done aluminum as well, but not fond of cleaning up metal chips. Been running it on average 8 hours a week for the last 2.5 years and the only part replacement has been to swap out some worn bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I've looked into them several times, if I were to get one, this is the one I'd get.

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Yes, I think you will need a Router instead of a Rotary Tool for the spindle.

I prefer the Romaxx in the link Jason posted below. I run an HS-1 with a Bosch router, cutting mostly delrin and carbon fiber. Have done aluminum as well, but not fond of cleaning up metal chips. Been running it on average 8 hours a week for the last 2.5 years and the only part replacement has been to swap out some worn bearings.

I agree with both of you guys. That is a damn fine piece of machinery right there! Problem is, that thing is over twice my intended budget. I'm still looking for suggestions, and opinions. The one thing I noticed is, it's very easy to get the Zenbot setup with a fixture to hold Dewalt/Porter/Other routers. I can also buy an additional clamp to hold a basic Dremel for the really small parts.

I can't imagine the accuracy of the unit with a conventional router would have tight enough runout tolerances to drill small holes accurately (micro crawler and 1.9 parts for now). Sadly, the majority of the parts I will be cutting will be under 1/8" thick, and most will be plastics.

I'm pretty much set on the idea that I may as well write the costs of the machine, tooling, software, and such off as a loss. As far as I'm concerned, until I'm confident with the machine, I'm buying a $900 dollar toy. Not too concerned with making money right off the get-go, as long as I can make a quality product when and if I get to that point.

Here's another unit. Looks like a pretty good setup. CNC Router Keling Technology Inc
Ball screws and bearings. All aluminum for no slop. T slot table. Controller not included.

Last edited by 89redranger; 12-21-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

microcarve MV3

This machine is well supported on CNCzone by the creator.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

There is a lot that goes with cnc machines.....People who are new to cnc can easily end up buying a wrong one for their need.

1] Axis alignment, Volumetric error.
2] Lead screw or ball screw precession
3] Lead screw or ball screw service life
4] Linear guide buckling in case if end supported types
5] Spindle power and max rpm
6] Feed rate and depth of cut
7] Machine rigidity in relation to heavy cutting forces.
8] Servo or Stepper system, each have their own advantage and disadvantages
9] Support for Drives and other electronics

ps: CNC machines with dremel does not mean they do not have enough power. Those dremel have 600 watts of power which is close to 1 HP. Those dremel can cut through plastic like butter and can cut wood as well. For cutting metal there is no substitute to having a heavy cast iron base.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

Don`t. I know that router looks all clean and attractive but mechanically it says its not strong enough.
The linear guides are based on roller v bearing. They should have linear rails instead.
The side pillars are made out of thick sheet of aluminum I guess. It will leave accuracy by flexing under heavy cutting load. The side pillars should be thick and structurally strong.
That router will not cut ferrous metal. Non ferrous material , yes but with slow feed rate.

Today cnc machines are highly needed. A lot of DIY guys have jumped into the business just to earn money because they know they can make a quick buck. If you want the feel and result of a real industrial cnc then you can go with Tormach.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Don`t. I know that router looks all clean and attractive but mechanically it says its not strong enough.
The linear guides are based on roller v bearing. They should have linear rails instead.
The side pillars are made out of thick sheet of aluminum I guess. It will leave accuracy by flexing under heavy cutting load. The side pillars should be thick and structurally strong.
That router will not cut ferrous metal. Non ferrous material , yes but with slow feed rate.

Today cnc machines are highly needed. A lot of DIY guys have jumped into the business just to earn money because they know they can make a quick buck. If you want the feel and result of a real industrial cnc then you can go with Tormach.
While I agree with all of your points, it really goes out the window when someone is simply looking to cut aluminum sheet metal, plastics, carbon fiber, and mdf/fiberboard, as is typical of RC hobby use.

The key here is, you need to thoroughly define what the machine will be used for, and buy an adequate machine.
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
While I agree with all of your points, it really goes out the window when someone is simply looking to cut aluminum sheet metal, plastics, carbon fiber, and mdf/fiberboard, as is typical of RC hobby use.

The key here is, you need to thoroughly define what the machine will be used for, and buy an adequate machine.
You are correct. If the work does not need precision work, heavy cut that an industrial scale machine can provide then its not necessary. But desktop machines come with their own issues. They are also very slow to do the job. Many think of buying them to do small job work, and they have to invest a lot of time in doing it.

Its important for any buyer to know the limits of any machine he purchases. Even the desktop machines are not cheap and one should not feel unsatisfied after buying a machine.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

For many people the machine is it's own hobby. I know of people who really don't want to make parts, but find the process of making the machines to be it's own reward. For those people, the machine in the OP's original post (and many others like it) is a great starting point. Others will find building one from scratch to be just as rewarding. They will make parts, but if you are looking to make money from them, I honestly think you are on the wrong path.

I wanted to make parts not machines, which is why I bought a ready to cut 3-axis CNC mill. Of course now that I have it, I'm finding myself becoming more interested in making other CNC machines

Understand what you really want to do, and pick the starting point that will get you there with the least amount of frustration.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

CNC Router/Mill by Shapeoko - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
desktop cnc router ??? Robbob Tools, and Procedures 15 05-18-2012 10:22 AM
Thoughts on this CNC router? Renslipevol Tools, and Procedures 1 03-19-2009 02:05 PM
What about a CNC Router? bswaybar Tools, and Procedures 13 03-16-2009 08:52 AM