RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   The RCC Hobby Machinists Challenge (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/421654-rcc-hobby-machinists-challenge.html)

Duuuuuuuude 01-08-2013 08:54 AM

The RCC Hobby Machinists Challenge

So I had this idea yesterday...contacted CreeperBob for some additional brainpower...and we are going to organize a weekly contest for anyone who owns or has access to a lathe, mill, or a really kickass drill press setup. Vendors and regular members are welcome to give it a go.

The rules are simple...every Sunday a new part dimension will be posted. You will have until the following Friday to complete your creation and submit your entry. On Saturday a poll will be started where any and all can vote for their favorite entry (be prepared to supply a picture or two). On Sunday the winner will be announced and the next weeks instructions given out.

Winner receives bragging rights and admiration from their fellow competitors. If you do exceptionally well, Bob and I may even pat you on the back and give you a cookie.

Material choice is up to the machinist. It can be plastic, aluminum, steel, titanium, or even wood. You will not be asked to make anything exceptionally long or wide, as some of us only have one machine, it has to be something we can all work with comfortably. We also don't want to discourage anyone with material costs.

Creativity and fun are the goals here. It does not need to be a functional piece.

Who's in? Questions and ideas are always welcome.

Signed up so far:

1. Duuuuuuuude
2. CreeperBob
3. tarmo120
4. WooPigSooie
5. bigstu
6. mjderstine
7. Del Monte
8. monstergt
9. C*H*U*D
10. rik
11. Metal Militia
12. crawlerhawk
13. sumquak
14. Die-Laughing
15. Bob1961
16. rlockwood

Challenge #1 ~ Create a cube no larger than 1.25" square. Whatever you do within the edges of the cube is up to you!

tarmo120 01-08-2013 09:10 AM

Re: The RCC Hobby Machinists Challenge

I'm in. Would be fun to make something other than production work."thumbsup"
Waiting for the first assignment.

WooPigSooie 01-08-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 4113319)
This is open only to those who own a mill or a lathe, be they manual or cnc.

Any lenience on this rule?

bigstu 01-08-2013 09:24 AM

Count me in. More motovation to get the CNC going after the holiday slow down...
Thank you. Great idea.

CREEPERBOB 01-08-2013 09:44 AM

I'm in for the chance :mrgreen:.

Duuuuuuuude 01-08-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WooPigSooie (Post 4113350)
Any lenience on this rule?

Possibly. It may be at your own peril though...what do you have to work with?

CREEPERBOB 01-08-2013 09:52 AM

How about the guy (or gal) that has a nice drill press setup with a coumpound table etc.? Poor mans mill. "thumbsup".

Duuuuuuuude 01-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 4113403)
How about the guy (or gal) that has a nice drill press setup with a coumpound table etc.? Poor mans mill. "thumbsup".

Works for me. I'll amend the first post. "thumbsup"

I just don't want this to morph into a wood carving or Dremel contest. :lol:

WooPigSooie 01-08-2013 10:11 AM

I'm in school for machining. I don't own any machines but have access to several.

bigstu 01-08-2013 10:16 AM

My Dremel, on steroids....
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...onthestand.jpg

You thinking 3d, 2d, assemblies?

1tonscout 01-08-2013 10:31 AM

Will these projects be RC related? What kind of parts are you thinking about making? I have had a project that I've wanted to do. I had an idea of making a fixture to attach my Dremel to my lathe and mill for precision grinding hard metals. Would this be the kind of project you had in mind? Depending on what you have in mind I might be in"thumbsup"

mjderstine 01-08-2013 12:20 PM

i have a really shitty drill press with a tweaked spindle, and a really shitty X Y vise... think i can participate? :)

Duuuuuuuude 01-08-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstu (Post 4113433)
You thinking 3d, 2d, assemblies?

Could be anything. The design is up to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonscout (Post 4113448)
Will these projects be RC related?

Not necessarily. Make anything you want as long as it fits within the parameters that I give you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjderstine (Post 4113620)
i have a really shitty drill press with a tweaked spindle, and a really shitty X Y vise... think i can participate? :)

I don't know...can you? :ror:

You do not have to own a machine as long as you have access to one. Remember that this is a low stakes, just for fun thing. If you want to play along with your drill press, go for it.

Here is what will happen...Come Sunday I will say, for example, "make something using a 1.5" square block of material". It can be anything you want, out of anything you want, as long as the exterior dimensions are 1.5x1.5x1.5. I may ask for something made out of a short length of round stock, or something rectangular, or something attached with a single bolt, or something interlocking.

The only specifics you will be asked to maintain are base measurements of the material. Everything else is up to you. It doesn't have to be a functioning item for any specific application unless that is what you want. This competition is all about being creative and I can only assume that fixturing will play a large part in this.

If anyone isn't familiar with a Turners Cube, look it up. That will give you an idea about what we will be doing.

ROCKEDUP RICKY 01-08-2013 12:49 PM

Can I enter with a dremel and a hacksaw.

Del Monte 01-08-2013 12:54 PM

Count me in :D

Monstergt 01-08-2013 02:03 PM

Count me in as long as I can find the time at work. :mrgreen:"thumbsup"

mjderstine 01-08-2013 02:16 PM

heck, count me in with a piece of foam and a hobby knife then :)

after the human body is nothing more than a complex machine.

Duuuuuuuude 01-08-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY (Post 4113664)
Can I enter with a dremel and a hacksaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjderstine (Post 4113767)
heck, count me in with a piece of foam and a hobby knife then :)

This is the "Hobby Machinist Challenge", not the "Hippy Dippy Craft Fair Challenge". :ror:

If you don't own or have access to either a mill, a lathe, or a tricked out drill press, you can't play, sorry.

C*H*U*D 01-08-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 4113319)
So I had this idea yesterday

...contacted CreeperBob for some additional brainpower...

I see two problems with this idea already.

:mrgreen:

ROCKEDUP RICKY 01-08-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 4113772)
This is the "Hobby Machinist Challenge", not the "Hippy Dippy Craft Fair Challenge". :ror:

If you don't own or have access to either a mill, a lathe, or a tricked out drill press, you can't play, sorry.

What a prick :shock:. Fine then asshole, I bet you didn't have very many friends when you were a kid did you.:flipoff:

I may just have a "Hippy Dippy Craft Fair Challenge" as you put it and we won't let you play even if you have a dremel and hacksaw.:afro: