Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Aluminum tube for Tuber Chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Aluminum tube for Tuber Chassis?

So I want to braze up a tube chassis and keep it as light as possible so I am thinking Aluminum tube instead of steel brake line. Whether I use steel or Alum I have to order it off the internet. While in the Army I worked on aircraft and occasionally acquired 1/4in aluminum hydraulic tubing for different projects with good results. Both seem to be about the same price online.

Will it braze well with silver solder like steel?
Will it hold up well when used for a chassis?

Here is the website: 3003-0 VERSATUBE from Aircraft Spruce

Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Aluminum tube for Tuber Chassis?

I don't think you can use non-aluminum rods, but I'm not sure. One site said to use Alumirod from Harbor Freight

From this forum, it seems to be fairly difficult until you got it down

Help with brazing aluminum - DoItYourself.com Community Forums
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was going to ask the same question. It seems steel is the "accepted norm" here, but for weight and $ purposes, I can buy tube aluminum at Hobby Lobby for less than $3 a stick. They have all sizes up to 5/16" which I thought would be great for a roll cage (or 1/4"). It seems like a great way of building a cage and bumpers without adding alot of weight up top, but you don't see alot of people doing here (I assume for good reason). Any definitive answer on why not Aluminum?
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Just browsed the link sent above, and that may explain it all together. Looks like aluminum is just a PITA to braze. So.... seeing as how I don't have a TIG welder, guess I'm sticking with good ol' US Steel.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I was going to try brazing a couple of pieces of Aluminum together last night just to see how difficult it really is. Got my garage all warmed up (5 degrees last night), my pieces cleaned and fish mouthed, flux, solder... and I am completely out of MAPP gas!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army RC Crawler View Post
Will it braze well with silver solder like steel?
No. I think you will have a very difficult time trying to silver solder aluminum since their melting points are so close. I had a friend use an aluminum spacer once to hold parts in place for silver soldering, and the spacer melted away before the solder would flow.

Quote:
Will it hold up well when used for a chassis?
One thing to think about is strength. Aluminum is not as strong as steel, so most anything made with it has to be overbuilt to survive. This often negates any weight savings. This was the case when aluminum mountain bike frames first started showing up. They often were no lighter than the high quality steel frames that were available because they had to be overbuilt to survive.

I'm not saying an aluminum tube frame is out of the question, but I think the amount of effort that would go into it would be greater than the weight savings you are looking for.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Good point CHUD. I didn't even consider the strength part.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well before I go out and order a bunch of aluminum tube I will give it a shot at least. I found a cheap aluminum solder/flux package at work that I will try out on my scrap aluminum tube left over from the Army. The tube I have was free, and the solder kit isn't to expensive so if it doesn't work out I won't be out a huge pile of cash.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

What is the name brand on the inexpensive aluminum solder,flux kit that you got. I have some of the hobby lobby 1/4 x .049" tube left overs that I want to play with.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Well before I go out and order a bunch of aluminum tube I will give it a shot at least. I found a cheap aluminum solder/flux package at work that I will try out on my scrap aluminum tube left over from the Army. The tube I have was free, and the solder kit isn't to expensive so if it doesn't work out I won't be out a huge pile of cash.
Post up your results...I'd be interested to see how this turns out.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
What is the name brand on the inexpensive aluminum solder,flux kit that you got. I have some of the hobby lobby 1/4 x .049" tube left overs that I want to play with.
I think this is the stuff I got from Ace Hardware. It's like $8-$10. I originally tried this stuff on steel before my silver solder and it held good.

Last edited by Army RC Crawler; 01-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
...One thing to think about is strength. Aluminum is not as strong as steel, so most anything made with it has to be overbuilt to survive. This often negates any weight savings...
I emailed the company that sells the aluminum tube to see if they have weight specs on it like they do for their other steel tube. I wanted to get a clear picture of how it really compares in weight.

Their response:
"The 1/8 inch is approximately .009 lbs per ft and the 1/4 inch is approximately .026 lbs per foot"

When you compare the weight of 4130 steel tube in similar size and wall thickness to the aluminum I think you might have enough room to over build and still be lighter weight.

------O.D. -Wall Thickness -Wt./Ft.
4130: 1/4in ____0.28 ______.067
Alum: 1/4in ____0.32 ______.026
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
No. I think you will have a very difficult time trying to silver solder aluminum since their melting points are so close.

One thing to think about is strength. Aluminum is not as strong as steel, so most anything made with it has to be overbuilt to survive. This often negates any weight savings.

When it comes to the scale we are working with I don't see this being a huge issue. I think the issue will come from your first statement of melting the part long before finished.
I am just getting into welding ally, since I have a Tig I am a step ahead of most. But I think a cage or tube buggy would be fine.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I would not go with aluminum tubing. Personally I don't think it will hold up to bashing and rollovers very well. I do alot of welding and brazing due to my work (hvac) I would go with steel or solid rod is personally is what I use And it is a lot easier to weld or braze. Just my opinion
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Anyone can say it can be don't if you have a tig welder but if you don't have a lot of experience using a tig welder on aluminum you will end up with a melted piece of metal guaranteed lol
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
I would not go with aluminum tubing. Personally I don't think it will hold up to bashing and rollovers very well. I do alot of welding and brazing due to my work (hvac) I would go with steel or solid rod is personally is what I use And it is a lot easier to weld or braze. Just my opinion
Wasn't all the DMG chassis and tubers built with ally at one point? I don't think he would still be around if it didn't work.
Ally is used in 1:1 builds, bumpers, armor - it's has to be done right but its already proven it can work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
Anyone can say it can be don't if you have a tig welder but if you don't have a lot of experience using a tig welder on aluminum you will end up with a melted piece of metal guaranteed lol
This is true - but we all have to start somewhere. It's not like anyone is building a full ally 1:1 here and putting his kids in it. It's a RC truck.
If it breaks you go home and try again. Some like myself like the build as much or more than the drive.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I think the issue will come from your first statement of melting the part long before finished.
I did put that part first for a reason

Quote:
I am just getting into welding ally, since I have a Tig I am a step ahead of most. But I think a cage or tube buggy would be fine.
I would put my money on your setup. I can see a good Tig welder being able to pull this off. I work with a guy that can Tig soda cans together, but I think trying to silver solder with a torch would be difficult. I could be wrong though, so I'd love to see how this turns out.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wasn't all the DMG chassis and tubers built with ally at one point? I don't think he would still be around if it didn't work.
Ally is used in 1:1 builds, bumpers, armor - it's has to be done right but its already proven it can work.

This is true - but we all have to start somewhere. It's not like anyone is building a full ally 1:1 here and putting his kids in it. It's a RC truck.
If it breaks you go home and try again. Some like myself like the build as much or more than the drive.
Yes alluminum is used a lot for 1:1 vehicles, motorcyles and many other things but it is a lot thicker and bigger material. Just my opinion and not trying to tell people it absoulutley won't work

I think alluminum solid rod would work good though
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Sorry CHUD. I was agreeing with ya - should have worded it different. I can weld no soda cans together but I am getting there.

I was speaking of offroad rigs using ally. A motorcycle frame is a whole different story - like apples to oranges here.

When it comes to scalers I just think that weight is the biggest issue in making some rigs work as well as they could. We all want these things to looks sweet and that adds up and then it can't keep up with a stock RTR. That's bogus!
Ally wouldn't be the only answer but it would help, allow you to put weight where you want it vs where it falls.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Well this has certainly generated some good discussion. Please let it continue. If some of you have used aluminum successfully for cages and bumpers, post it and post some pics. Post how you did it. Post how much of a pain or how easy it really was. The weight issue is a serious one for scalers, and by the OPs numbers, it's almost a 1/3 of the weight than steel. I think that is pretty significant when talking about top heavy 6-8lb rigs. Then there is the $ issue. We'd all like to save a buck or two on building materials and put the real money into the electronics and tires.

OP.... please do not abandon your trial. Some of us are really waiting for your feedback and to see your results!

Aluminum tube for Tuber Chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lcc tuber/tube chassis firefighten_cowboy Newbie General 2 04-10-2010 12:52 AM
Alternative to paint for tube chassis ( raw tube look ) cruiserkb Paint and Body 8 08-21-2009 12:02 AM
tube vs aluminum chassis the kid Tamiya Clod Buster 3 02-14-2007 09:10 PM