Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Turning rod stock without a lathe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Turning rod stock without a lathe?

I couldn't think of a better title and I wasn't sure what to even search for so here it is.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to shave down the diameter of aluminum rod, I do not have a lathe or drill press?

The reason I ask is, I picked up some 1/4" aluminum rod for a project and quickly found that it's OD is more like .2510 - .2559, depending on where I measured. I'm using Heim joints and some 1/4" collars and neither will fit onto the rod without some form of machining. Oh, and the rod is bent, on purpose.

Any helpful ideas would be great,

Thanks
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin
I couldn't think of a better title and I wasn't sure what to even search for so here it is.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to shave down the diameter of aluminum rod, I do not have a lathe or drill press?

The reason I ask is, I picked up some 1/4" aluminum rod for a project and quickly found that it's OD is more like .2510 - .2559, depending on where I measured. I'm using Heim joints and some 1/4" collars and neither will fit onto the rod without some form of machining. Oh, and the rod is bent, on purpose.

Any helpful ideas would be great,

Thanks
your hand and fine sandpaper........if it was straight a drill press would work
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You could put a grinding wheel on a dremel, that might make the process go faster.

Again if it was straight, you could rig up something with a drill and use a file.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I am definitely looking at a couple of drill press options once I get my shop/workbench setup.

I tried using a rotary file in the Dremel and it worked but the results were less than good. I suppose that is the price you pay for not having the correct tools to complete the job.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Ace
Rock Crawler

Even with a lathe turning .001-.004 off a rod isn't easy. If the rod has much length it's most likely a file/sandpaper affair...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know what you mean. I've used my drill press way more than I ever thought I would.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

You might try chucking the stock in a hand drill and with the drill on and stock spinning touching the stock againts a grinding wheel/scotch brite wheel. I use this metod for cleanencing endmills, taps, etc... at work all the time.
outlaw_Jeep_krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

almost anything you do to take off that small of an amount (espacially if you try to do it quickly), will have you ending up with a rod that is not nearly as round as what you started with. one way that will work is to chuck the rod up in something to make it spin, anything really. then get some 600 grit sandpaper and water. get the rod spinning and hold it between the sandpaper, making sure to keep the sandpaper VERY wet. this is not the fastest method, but you only want to remove a small amount, and it will keep the rod pretty much round. i usually pour the water over the part, or keep dunking the sandpaper in a container of water.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the input guys. The next time I plan on making anything from rod stock, I will make sure I already have a drill press or something to spin it in and I will wait to bend it.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
I lost my vendor privileges

chucked mine in the drill and had brother to pull the trigger and stuck a flat file to it. worked fine.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote