Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

Silver brazing is easy and quick with the little Smith. To use the silicon bronze filler your welder house carries would need a full size torch as it is large diameter filler relative to the Smith torch.

Glad you like my filler Highmark. The small diameter does make it so much easier to pinpoint into the joints.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

Just done some brazing/soldering with the Smith torch and love it. Haven's done any welding in a few years, but this made it easy. I'll post a pic of brazing with flux bronze vs Silv 56 (from Holmes). Like the price of the bronze wire, but like the looks of the Silv joint.
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Welp my Oxygen regulator finally bit the dust.

I'll be replacing it with the same regulator 30-20-540:
Miller Smith Little Torch Oxygen Regulator 30-20-540 - Weldfabulous

The bottle pressure gauge appears accurate, but the output gauge is showing zero, it's humming, and the safety port is exhausting for some reason.

What I've learned is that you should always vent the oxygen line when you shut down for the day and close the tank. I think that's what caused it to bite the dust.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Welp my Oxygen regulator finally bit the dust.

I'll be replacing it with the same regulator 30-20-540:
Miller Smith Little Torch Oxygen Regulator 30-20-540 - Weldfabulous

The bottle pressure gauge appears accurate, but the output gauge is showing zero, it's humming, and the safety port is exhausting for some reason.

What I've learned is that you should always vent the oxygen line when you shut down for the day and close the tank. I think that's what caused it to bite the dust.
im NOT an expert but my welding class instructor keeps harping on making sure when you shut down the rig for the night (full size) you:
turn the tank pressure off COMPLETELY
then empty the pressure from the system (open each gas valve separately)
close the gas valve on the torch
back the regulator off fully

that way there isn't any chance of gas leaking from the torch AND there isn't pressure on the regulator so the system is pressure neutral. Regulators are super delicate and do NOT like having pressure on them . Any little things you can do to extend the life and accuracy of your equipment pays off ultimately
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #25

That's great advice from Calvin. That order of shutdown will keep the parts newer and also avoid potential errors. The most common errors will mix some gas in the hose and can cause ignition inside if not purged before the next use. O2 sitting will also degrade everything faster, even moreso under pressure.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #26

This is my order of operations. Learned it in high school welding too. Harris has a page with the same sort of info How to Properly Light, Adjust and Shut Down an Oxy

Start the job with materials and tools ready, and safety inspection of all hoses and fittings
ensure torche valves are closed
turn on tanks
adjust regulators if needed
open o2 torch valve to purge lines, then close
open acetylene torch valve to purge lines
reduce acetylene torch valve to 1/2, light torch and increase flow until flame leaves tip, then back off until flame is at tip again
open oxygen valve until flame is neutral
readjust regulators if needed
adjust torch valves until flame is as desired, reducing, neutral, or oxidizing.
ready to work

Shut down
turn off oxygen torch valve first- this avoids detonation inside torch
turn off acetylene torch valve
close tank valves
open o2 torch valve to purge pressure, close torch valve
open acetylene torch valve to purge pressure, close torch valve
regulator should not show pressure on tank or regulated dials
back out regulator screws if unit will not be used again soon.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I don't mean to go too far off topic but is it recommended to purge the pressure and back the screw off of all regulators? I'm wondering if I should be doing this with my welding regulator which is for argon/Co2. Would you also need to do this with flow meters like what is used with straight argon?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
I don't mean to go too far off topic but is it recommended to purge the pressure and back the screw off of all regulators? I'm wondering if I should be doing this with my welding regulator which is for argon/Co2. Would you also need to do this with flow meters like what is used with straight argon?
that is a flow meter, it is pretty much just a valve and a tube that shows you what the flow rate is. It doesn't have all that fancy jazz that a regulator does that maintains pressure. In the SCUBA class I was in when we were turning the main on/off valve on our tank we kept the purge valve open so that the pressure wouldn't slam into the diaphragm and keep it going longer
Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
This is my order of operations. Learned it in high school welding too. Harris has a page with the same sort of info How to Properly Light, Adjust and Shut Down an Oxy

Start the job with materials and tools ready, and safety inspection of all hoses and fittings
ensure torche valves are closed
turn on tanks
adjust regulators if needed
open o2 torch valve to purge lines, then close
open acetylene torch valve to purge lines
reduce acetylene torch valve to 1/2, light torch and increase flow until flame leaves tip, then back off until flame is at tip again
open oxygen valve until flame is neutral
readjust regulators if needed
adjust torch valves until flame is as desired, reducing, neutral, or oxidizing.
ready to work

Shut down
turn off oxygen torch valve first- this avoids detonation inside torch
turn off acetylene torch valve
close tank valves
open o2 torch valve to purge pressure, close torch valve
open acetylene torch valve to purge pressure, close torch valve
regulator should not show pressure on tank or regulated dials
back out regulator screws if unit will not be used again soon.
that is the exact method we use at the school and it works good. SO far no one has blown up a torch rig... yet
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Do you no longer sell the Silver 56 John? Just like motors and ESCs, I could become brand loyal, lol.
I've only ever used solder for electrical and plumbing, but if it is easier than brazing rods, I definitely want to give it a try, then I can contemplate a new smaller torch if need be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

He still has them - just under electronics and wiring now:

56% Silver Brazing Filler - Wiring & Wiring Accessories - Electronics & Wiring

Silver Brazing Flux - Wiring & Wiring Accessories - Electronics & Wiring
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #32

Quote:
I will have had this torch a year tomorrow - still using the origional B tank of oxygen (haven't had to refill it yet). I still rank it as one of the best tools I've ever bought.
i need one of these setups... im hella conservative with my o2 on my disposable tank setup and im already on my third tank in my timmy 2x build. and at 10 bucks a tank it adds up quick.

how much does it cost to fill up the o2 bottle? or do you just exchange it for a full one? (which i would kinda hate, giving up my own brand new tank for a 'used' one...) ;)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #33

and on really tight tight stuff that you are going to put multiple joints on at different times, if you use 45 first it allows ya to use 56 later on and have a slight buffer between melting rates. slight.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i need one of these setups... im hella conservative with my o2 on my disposable tank setup and im already on my third tank in my timmy 2x build. and at 10 bucks a tank it adds up quick.

how much does it cost to fill up the o2 bottle? or do you just exchange it for a full one? (which i would kinda hate, giving up my own brand new tank for a 'used' one...) ;)

The first tank I had I had to empty it prior to my big move to Texas, the second one got filled up probably two years ago and is still going strong. I feel like I'm probably pretty wasteful with my air and gas

I have always exchanged mine just for convenience as most shops have them sitting around ready to go but you would have to wait to get one filled. I think it was around $20 to exchange a tank.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #35

Quote:
The first tank I had I had to empty it prior to my big move to Texas, the second one got filled up probably two years ago and is still going strong. I feel like I'm probably pretty wasteful with my air and gas

I have always exchanged mine just for convenience as most shops have them sitting around ready to go but you would have to wait to get one filled. I think it was around $20 to exchange a tank.
im a fool for using this disposable setup for so long...
Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #36

I was just looking into this little torch setup yesterday.
I already have the oxy / acetylene welding setup, I just wanted a smaller torch to use for the fine work.
Thanks for the write up on it.

Oh and the Smith setup I was looking at is all of $20 shipped to my door.
I do not need the regulators, just the hoses and torch itself.
Here is the link:
Smith New Jewelry Welding Torch Kit Mini Gas Torch Soldering with 5 Weld Tips - Tmart
Catbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures). - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smith little torch thumper68 Tools, and Procedures 49 02-21-2012 08:36 AM
Brazing,Micro-torch or Normal size torch? xyzoose Tools, and Procedures 4 03-04-2010 09:47 PM